Alliance of American Football

I've seen parts of all eight games so far. It's football, and it's not bad.

The announcers have to stop pushing the NFL. These players aren't on NFL rosters for a reason. A very small handful may get another NFL opportunity, but very few stand out as being a man among boys.

I like the replay official being on air.

No kickoffs makes the games go a lot faster.

Must go for two is an interesting twist. Teams have to come up with better plays though.

Defenses can only rush the QB with five and are limited on where they can come from. Even with that some teams are struggling to develop any offense, which really illustrates how difficult it is to put a good offensive line on the field.

I've seen parts of all eight games so far. It's football, and it's not bad.

The announcers have to stop pushing the NFL. These players aren't on NFL rosters for a reason. A very small handful may get another NFL opportunity, but very few stand out as being a man among boys.

I like the replay official being on air.

No kickoffs makes the games go a lot faster.

Must go for two is an interesting twist. Teams have to come up with better plays though.

Defenses can only rush the QB with five and are limited on where they can come from. Even with that some teams are struggling to develop any offense, which really illustrates how difficult it is to put a good offensive line on the field.

Gotta think tho, these are all brand new teams with not much practice or game action so the offenses should be weak right now.

I know I read that Vince McMahon plans to try his XFL again next year, but I also thought I read something about a third new pro league with a possible team in Canton.

Anybody else see that, or is this a semi-pro league I was reading about?

I think you're referring to the Patriot Football League or something like that. Seems really small time. Doubt much comes of it

I'm enjoying it so far. It's football and that is better than watching crap like the NBA this time of year.

Plus Orlando gets former FAU and fsu players along with all the other Florida colleges. Cool to see them all playing together for people like me who follow the state.

Keith Reaser from my school Florida Atlantic had a pick 6 and got d player of the week for the league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I read that Vince McMahon plans to try his XFL again next year, but I also thought I read something about a third new pro league with a possible team in Canton.

Anybody else see that, or is this a semi-pro league I was reading about?

I had heard about a California league that is or has started as well.

I hadn't really studied or researched the AAF in how it came to be and if there would be any ties to the NFL so I was surprised to see that they indeed seem to have some close ties, and that is a good thing.

I believe this league will last. The NFL is going to use it to test out rules and different ideas like you see MLB/NBA do so.

About the XFL: They will either fold quickly, become a competing league with the AAF and have a Super Bowl at the end of their seasons OR after a copule of season with the two leagues, they will pick the 10-14 cities who support the teams the most and merge under the AAF tagline

SOme are speculating that the XFL put out the narrative that the AAF was having money issues and used that investment as its "proof".

Could be a big battle brewing....

I guess there's just no need for another professional football league, especially one with mediocre talent. NFL and college are enough.

SUrpirsed it happened this early.

AAF is right though, if they are going to be a true feeder league they need access to players, but then the NFL is right to not allow/force their players the extra injury factor.

I watched week 1. I liked it, but then it was very tough to find on TV and just lost interest. the scores looked too low to keep people interested.

Seemed like their strategy was to start the league, garner interest, promote they are a feeder league and then force the NFL's hand into helping them out.

The XFL, if they are smart, will try to work those things out beforehand. If the XFL can get something into place and sign the guys when they get cut in the preseason and maybe get some sort of deal with the NFL it COULD work.

and making their players pay their way home!

Looks like, according to some interviews, that a huge downfall was the infrastructure, or lack thereof, on the operational side of things.

Did they rush it to get in before the XFL before they were ready?

Seems like it

SOunds like a total Richard move by the AAF. Players got back to where they were staying, many in hotels, and their stuff was waiting for htem in the lobbies.

SOunds like a total Richard move by the AAF. Players got back to where they were staying, many in hotels, and their stuff was waiting for htem in the lobbies.

Totally....guys that got hurt are now having to pay for their own medical treatment.

Just a bad way to end something that could have been decent.

Totally....guys that got hurt are now having to pay for their own medical treatment.

Just a bad way to end something that could have been decent.

Wonder how much truth there is that main guy really just wanting ownership on the gambling app for the league.

More info coming out. Apparently they reached out to the XFL before the season even started and wanted to merge with them because $$ was being drained out.

I think another league in this time of year can work, but it will take deep pockets like any huge enterprise.

I believe the NFL would jump in after it gets established. Right off the bat, the salaries for the players was too much. If it is going to be a minor league system, the pay structure needs to be much lower.

Many were mocking the XFL when it appeared they got scooped by the AAF but they may have the last laugh by doing their diligence to make sure they are set up to be sustainable.

More info coming out. Apparently they reached out to the XFL before the season even started and wanted to merge with them because $$ was being drained out.

I think another league in this time of year can work, but it will take deep pockets like any huge enterprise.

I believe the NFL would jump in after it gets established. Right off the bat, the salaries for the players was too much. If it is going to be a minor league system, the pay structure needs to be much lower.

Many were mocking the XFL when it appeared they got scooped by the AAF but they may have the last laugh by doing their diligence to make sure they are set up to be sustainable.

AAF apparently had $28 million in promised contributions from one investor go dry in December. Employees for the teams said a noticeable lack of paid advertising in league cities right at the time you should be ramping up was a warning sign. They didn't have that $28 million that probably would've gone a lot toward promotion. Lack of promotion leads to lack of fans.

They also over-priced themselves. They were asking for NFL-game prices for a lot of seats. Prime sideline seats were going for over $100 a piece for some markets, and you could see in Arizona and Atlanta that the endzones, the cheap seats, were much more full than elsewhere. Before the inevitable BOGOs, discounts, etc,

And then, Durdon's investment of 'up to $250 million' which turns out to be about $70 million when he pulled the plug (he owned the majority of the league rather than investing it, so rather than just pulling his money out, he ended it). True, he wanted the app tech (and it's funny the NHL announced new plans for puck tracking the day after he ended the AAF. Looks a tad too suspicious.

Anyways, not counting current outlays, the XFL apparently has $750 million that Vince McMahon has pulled from WWE either for himself or straight into Alpha.

That's a huge war chest that the AAF lacked. That money can get a lot of attention. And instead of a pay-to-play scheme to get on CBS and NFL Network, where the AAF was paying for production and placement and collecting the revenues split two ways, XFL is looking for a more traditional rights fee. And with that kind of money I don't think networks are expecting low attendance like the AAF suffered (despite having moderately good ratings for what they did promote).

Secondly, original XFL 1.0 had $100 million invested between NBC and WWE. Each put up $50 million, and total loss between the two in year 1 was $70 million ($30 million of revenue). A lot of that was the XFL's use of those giant state-of-the-art video boards in each stadium and things like the X-Cam that were cutting edge and not cheap at all. And a ton of money in marketing, which did lead to better ticket sales in a lot of markets (LV, NY, Orlando, SF especially).

The AAF might have actually helped the XFL in one other regard, and that is to avoid Memphis and Birmingham like the plague. With teams already there, they weren't moving in. Every new league wants to go there due to their status of size vs. lack of NFL teams. You can throw Orlando and San Antonio in there as the Four Horsemen of the Defunct League Apocalypse.

They've gone a bit different. Hit two major media markets (LA and NY), two football hotbeds (Dallas and Houston), two bustling, growing, high-money markets (Seattle and DC), TB (for Florida that's basically a shoe-in for one of these leagues), and St. Louis, who should reap some of the anti-NFL resentment for moving the Rams.

XFL is also really relying on the whole "football doesn't end in February" manra much more literally than the AAF. Who only had Arizona and Atlanta as true 'markets where football doesn't end'. The rest were either always-the-bridesmaids-never-the-brides (the four horsemen), or ex-spouses who hate NFL (San Diego). The only real shock was Salt Lake City.

XFL has better markets, major markets, and is looking to go the 'we're not the NFL, and our fans are going to be fans who like football, that are just fed up with the holier-than-thou NFL.

The big question is media availability, ticket prices (some big and little stadiums, who knows how crowds will be), and VM's willingness to lose money and sit on the sidelines if things aren't peachy through the first money-eating season.

The AAF proved a few markets (San Diego, Orlando, Birmingham, and especially San Antonio). The XFL I'm sure now has those cities in their sights for future teams.

One thing I think is a misstep is tinkering with scoring. I just don't see a reason to eliminate the extra point entirely (like the AAF) or add a 3-point conversion (like the XFL is planning). It's definitely a case of trying to fix what isn't broken.

The AAF proved a few markets (San Diego, Orlando, Birmingham, and especially San Antonio). The XFL I'm sure now has those cities in their sights for future teams.

One thing I think is a misstep is tinkering with scoring. I just don't see a reason to eliminate the extra point entirely (like the AAF) or add a 3-point conversion (like the XFL is planning). It's definitely a case of trying to fix what isn't broken.

I dont mind the scoring changes really. It is meant to keep viewers around longer and who knows, maybe it will become a thing!

xFL owes the AAF a bit of gratitude in showing them what NOT to do.