All Remote Learning for Columbus City Schools High School Students

I believe Akron City Schools' current recommendation is: 100% in-person for ES students, 2 days a week in-person for MS students, and 100% remote for HS students. Time will tell.

I believe Akron City Schools' current recommendation is: 100% in-person for ES students, 2 days a week in-person for MS students, and 100% remote for HS students. Time will tell.
If a substantial number of districts opted for 100% remote learning for HS students, would that not be a death blow for fall sports?

If a substantial number of districts opted for 100% remote learning for HS students, would that not be a death blow for fall sports?
Yes. I agree. You can’t justify being 100% remote but being okay congregating for sports where kids compete next to each other. DeWine’s school plan is coming out tomorrow and I’m suspecting he is going to institute the social distancing requirement for all school buildings. Some districts will have the space in their buildings so all kids can come to school. Others like Columbus simply can’t do it and will have to prioritize who stays home and who doesn’t. High schoolers can be by theme selves when their parents are at work while the elementary kids can’t, which will force their parents to stay home with them.

I’m praying DeWine says something different because this virus is not affecting this age group hardly at all. Even if he does though the citizens of Ohio can raise a stink like we’ve done a lot recently and maybe he’ll fold.

Also, if we have a season, I have a feeling that you can only compete every other week (self quarentining) and no out of state trips.

It may be, but I imagine the number of districts that would opt to begin the school year with remote learning at the HS level will be small in number. I can't envision too many rural districts going that route if it automatically cancels their fall sports seasons. However, the districts that decide to go 100% remote may be large in enrollment. If Akron is looking hard at going forward with its plan, then I'm guessing Cleveland is having similar thoughts. What about Cincy, Toledo, and Dayton? If those districts nix sports as result of not having any in-person learning, I suppose there could be a late wave of kids trying to transfer to schools that are planning to be in-person come late August. Would those transfers qualify for any eligibility exceptions due to their former school not offering sports?

Columbus' choice to go 100% remote for HS is based (as grange45 said) on their not being able to afford to transport (and not having the space) to break up the all kids into groups to do alternate day instruction like they plan to do for middle and elementary school students, and the HS kids are the ones who don't need child care. As of now they have not made any final decision on sports. We got an email notice (my son is a CCS student) that summer conditioning could start next week. I am not holding my breath, but we will see how things go.

My wife teaches in CCS (in a 7-12) building so she is going to be doing in-person classes for her MS kids, virtual classes for her MS kids and virtual classes for her HS kids. Gonna be a year with a lot of planning.

Columbus' choice to go 100% remote for HS is based (as grange45 said) on their not being able to afford to transport (and not having the space) to break up the all kids into groups to do alternate day instruction like they plan to do for middle and elementary school students, and the HS kids are the ones who don't need child care. As of now they have not made any final decision on sports. We got an email notice (my son is a CCS student) that summer conditioning could start next week. I am not holding my breath, but we will see how things go.

My wife teaches in CCS (in a 7-12) building so she is going to be doing in-person classes for her MS kids, virtual classes for her MS kids and virtual classes for her HS kids. Gonna be a year with a lot of planning.
Jeez. That is ALOT of planning for your wife.

The thing I see though if some schools can compete while other schools can’t based on their situation is not fair. It’s a MAJOR lawsuit waiting to happen.

Hopefully the state is flexible about this but the social distancing component right now is the major concern about having a fall season. You can not justify having kids socially distancing at schools but not care about it on busses and games (and traveling to different parts of the state).

Last edited:
It is going to be a lot of planning for her. She is going to be teaching MS Phys Ed, HS health, MS Core Academic Skills and College Credit Plus English.

I actually saw one of the draft plans for CCS for sports. Transportation to competitions is an issue, but here they are probably advantaged by the small teams. My son's XC team last year (14 boys and 2 girls) could ride on one bus and be distanced. But even most of the football and track teams (the largest teams in CCS) could likely take 3 or 4 busses and get everyone to and from games/meets. Their problem is that if they are 100% remote there is a basically 0% chance they will be able to get even half the kids in most sports at most schools to the school to practice. So I can easily see them not bothering. If the OHSAA stays "on" and CCS does decide to offer sports, I am seeing us spending a lot of time driving some of my son's teammates to and from practice.

It is going to be a lot of planning for her. She is going to be teaching MS Phys Ed, HS health, MS Core Academic Skills and College Credit Plus English.

I actually saw one of the draft plans for CCS for sports. Transportation to competitions is an issue, but here they are probably advantaged by the small teams. My son's XC team last year (14 boys and 2 girls) could ride on one bus and be distanced. But even most of the football and track teams (the largest teams in CCS) could likely take 3 or 4 busses and get everyone to and from games/meets. Their problem is that if they are 100% remote there is a basically 0% chance they will be able to get even half the kids in most sports at most schools to the school to practice. So I can easily see them not bothering. If the OHSAA stays "on" and CCS does decide to offer sports, I am seeing us spending a lot of time driving some of my son's teammates to and from practice.
Did something get leaked out by ode concerning next school year to some districts? The district I am in has been waiting for guidance from the state before making decisions about next year. Some of the biggest districts in the state already outlined what they are doing but the smaller districts were waiting for tomorrow’s announcement. We seem really behind the game.

Did something get leaked out by ode concerning next school year to some districts? The district I am in has been waiting for guidance from the state before making decisions about next year. Some of the biggest districts in the state already outlined what they are doing but the smaller districts were waiting for tomorrow’s announcement. We seem really behind the game.
And it’s starting to seem that there will be more restrictions on more populated areas than the latter. DeWine said that there will be flexibility on restrictions based on Where you live but never specified what being “flexible” looks like.

I guess we’ll have to wait until tomorrow but it’s starting to look like the more restricted districts were already informed to prepare.

So if the largest districts in the state are fully remote and a bunch of other schools are shuffling in groups of students every second or third day, while less than half of high schools are operating normally, would the OHSAA still sponsor fall sports? Would only certain schools be eligible to participate (the ones operating normally)? If a student is going to school a couple times per week, would he or she still be able to attend practice daily? Would DeWine just shut it down at this point? Could we see some version of club-sponsored XC this fall if the OHSAA cancels the season but DeWine doesn't issue a statewide order forbidding organized sports?

The plan Dewine just publicized is a joke! Why are we allowed to participate sport practices in close contact right now where breathing is heavy but when in school students need to social distance. There is absolutely no logic to it.

Also he’s requiring staff to wear masks but not students (optional) ?! You wear a mask to prevent yourself spreading to others. It doesn’t protect you from getting the virus. So he’s okay with students spreading it to teachers.

This is really restrictive. There is no way we’ll have a fall season unless he caves.

I told you it will come down to the Counties. That's how it should be. No mandatory masks for students, and we should probably follow the American Academy of Pediatrics and have kids 3' spaced and get back to life as normal.

22 countries sent kids back, showed no spike nor spread from child to child or Child to adult. 40,000 YMCA kids in daycare showed the same thing here in the states. Multiple nations studies prove the same. kids don't spread Covid. We are still at a 0.000000 death rate for 18 and under in Ohio, and all deaths nationwide were kids with serious health issues. Those kids with health issues should be protected. We killed 6 kids with the flu in Ohio just this winter and didn't bat an eye. Flu kills kids. Flu kills healthy adults. Covid does not have those people on it's diet. Covid has hospitilized 7900 people in over 6 months in Ohio. The flu put over 11,000 Ohio citizens in the hospital in less time. Stop acting like kids are the problem, uneducated fearful adults are the problem with kids going back to school.

I told you it will come down to the Counties. That's how it should be. No mandatory masks for students, and we should probably follow the American Academy of Pediatrics and have kids 3' spaced and get back to life as normal.

22 countries sent kids back, showed no spike nor spread from child to child or Child to adult. 40,000 YMCA kids in daycare showed the same thing here in the states. Multiple nations studies prove the same. kids don't spread Covid. We are still at a 0.000000 death rate for 18 and under in Ohio, and all deaths nationwide were kids with serious health issues. Those kids with health issues should be protected. We killed 6 kids with the flu in Ohio just this winter and didn't bat an eye. Flu kills kids. Flu kills healthy adults. Covid does not have those people on it's diet. Covid has hospitilized 7900 people in over 6 months in Ohio. The flu put over 11,000 Ohio citizens in the hospital in less time. Stop acting like kids are the problem, uneducated fearful adults are the problem with kids going back to school.
I m not talking about counties. The guidelines I mentioned is for every school in the state (social distancing, masks for staff, temp checks). With these mandates for schools it’s very unrealistic to think that sports will be allowed to congregate with other schools in Ohio and spread the virus across county lines. I know the stats but Dewine is not looking at the specifics of the young, he’s looking at the whole which is totally wrong.

Again it’s not fair that some schools only need to make minimal changes due to space in their school buildings while others can’t. It is going to open up a lot of lawsuits if some schools can compete and others can’t due to their situation that is out of their hands (which I can’t stand how most people are sue crazy in today’s world).

And as I talk the peewee summer sports are still going strong with no concerns and no restrictions at my local park.

There has to be a federal plan. County Health departments are not set up to handle a world wide pandemic! We are connected to all the other states in the United States. If today was August 3rd and not July 3rd, there is no way schools are starting. We are 5 months into this and doing a terrible job unnecessarily. 5x26, How is Houston TX doing again? Texas governor just had to put mask mandates into effect. 5 months into this. We are expected to have shortages with PPE again! Not enough N95 masks! I'm about boiling mad about that right now. I have family fighting this crud in the hospitals and our incompetent executive branch can't properly protect medical people? Army medical staff that is not properly equipped with the simplest of equipment. We are talking about getting sports going while the entire SEC is being admitted into the hospital. The Texas Medical Center in Houston, is over 100% capacity in the ICU's. They have had to go to phase 2 and limit other medical care to open more ICU beds. MONTH 5. Not day 5....MONTH 5! This is a joke. We are trying to get kids back into school in one month, but are still overwhelming one of, if not the largest, medical center in the world.

We can spout statistics and low death rates all we want. We are over 130,000 people dead in the USA. Who has to die to finally wake some of you up? What local school system is going to say, "All good, welcome back! What did you do over summer vacation?" How do we get kids back into school? What is the plan to make that happen? 5 months into a complete failure. County health boards are going to somehow bring us out of this?

There are a check list of priorities. High school cross country might be near the top of my priorities, but I'm guessing pretty low on the Governor's. Schools should open. I believe that to be true. Sports should be played. I believe that to be true. 100 things need to happen before either of those things get to the top of the list. Honest to god, how to we get people in place to end this? We are doing the worst in the world! Percentage of positive tests is going up not down again. We can manage those that have it better than a few months ago, but should we have to?

Kids under 18 have a 0000.0000000000000000000000 death rate... Kids under 18 aren't driving the bus! They don't make the decisions. The best 5th graders in the world aren't going to organize and make school happen in 6 weeks. Remember when we gave the kids an extra 2 weeks of Spring Break, but would be back the second week of April with track and field meets? FAILURE!!! I laughed at a girl that was crying when we told her school was being postponed because she thought graduation might not happen. Boy was I wrong. I did not think there would be anywhere near this level of ... I don't even know a word for it. Stupidity isn't enough.

So, what is the plan other than "Let 'em play!"?

The guidelines Dewine sent out is not a plan. He’s just trying to let others make the decisions to take the blows. The leadership since we had the great reopening has been atrocious. And now Snodgrass is saying spring football is on the table if fall sports are cancelled and we need to have fans in the stands to make it happen if we do have a season. Give me a break.

Again, the traveling and congregating of sports is the main hurdle to have a season but both have been the main concern when fighting this virus. A lot of colleges right now are already telling their athletes that they can only compete every other week if they do have a season so they can self quarantine. Also if pro sports are still restricted or not happening how can you justify high school sports competing? Pros can play in empty stadiums because they can make money off televising it but high school sports need the ticket sales to pay for the sports.

Our athletic department budget doesn't include coaches' salaries or transportation expenses - those come out of the general fund. Uniforms and major equipment purchases are done by our boosters. Our AD pays for officials, food/lodging related to state championships, and a minor amount for minor in-season supplies ($1000 combined for boys and girls track and field). We could certainly cover the AD expenses for a season with additional donations to the boosters even if there were no spectators at football games. I don't think finances will be the driver at my school.

Our community is extremely conservative (think MAGA/open carry), but it is still very split in recent school board driven surveys about whether parents are willing to send their kids to school in the fall.

There is no decision that is going to leave everyone happy and emotions are going to be extremely strong. I am happy that nearly every expert and political leader is emphasizing the importance of getting kids back into school. It would not surprise me if extra-curriculars did not occur to mitigate the amount of contact as a sort of compromise to get kids into school.

For ten years I have been predicting that we will eventually move in the direction of the European model for sports - clubs. I think this situation is going to nudge us further in that direction. Those who want their kids involved in sports will find a way to do so.

Our athletic department budget doesn't include coaches' salaries or transportation expenses - those come out of the general fund. Uniforms and major equipment purchases are done by our boosters. Our AD pays for officials, food/lodging related to state championships, and a minor amount for minor in-season supplies ($1000 combined for boys and girls track and field). We could certainly cover the AD expenses for a season with additional donations to the boosters even if there were no spectators at football games. I don't think finances will be the driver at my school.

Our community is extremely conservative (think MAGA/open carry), but it is still very split in recent school board driven surveys about whether parents are willing to send their kids to school in the fall.

There is no decision that is going to leave everyone happy and emotions are going to be extremely strong. I am happy that nearly every expert and political leader is emphasizing the importance of getting kids back into school. It would not surprise me if extra-curriculars did not occur to mitigate the amount of contact as a sort of compromise to get kids into school.

For ten years I have been predicting that we will eventually move in the direction of the European model for sports - clubs. I think this situation is going to nudge us further in that direction. Those who want their kids involved in sports will find a way to do so.

Ironically I had this very same discussion with a few of my fellow coaches at school last school year (2018-19). We all agreed that our days as school coaches were probably numbered (we were predicting school based athletics were 10 years or less away from being completely done away with).

My district does not fund athletic transportation so the school has to foot the bill for fuel and driver. My AD and I have already discussed with our HFC that IF we do play football this school year under the NFHS guidelines of no more than 10 athletes per bus that he's gonna have to create an away roster of no more than 30 kids.

The more I look at DeWine’s plans, I feel he’s using this to privatize schools and sports. I can’t understand how people forget how he is had been all for this over the past two decades.

There is no logic why he restricting so much with schools when kids are not vulnerable to this. You can say protect the teachers but it’s very easy to make guidelines to enforce that.

Seems to me step one is getting schools open. (Same things have to happen for businesses) Let's assume that cases are going to rise and hospitalizations are going to rise. That is going to be a hard hurdle to clear. The President and executive branch is a lost cause. There will continue to be no leadership there and just another hurdle to overcome. How do we open schools?

Can the school day be extended a few hours? Stagger students and staff somehow? Can parents and counselors determine which students can stay at home and which should be at school? Can classes be simultaneously in person and remote? kids that are at home have to log in and attend class as a google meeting / zoom etc...? Utilize tutoring more. There will be a percentage of parents that will not send their kids to school. That will cut class sizes down. If the government can pay people not to work, they can pay to hire more teachers or pay teachers extra to teach an extra period or two a day, Kids can wear masks. Stagger sports practices so those kids aren't in the building. Maybe the school building is open for night classes. morning, afternoon and night sessions. 7 days a week.

My older kids rode the bus to school even through their senior year. My youngest drove as a junior and senior. I could have driven my older kids to school if it meant taking 2 kids off the school bus. When the kids were elementary age, I could have figured out ways to have them be at home on some week days if needed. Employers might have to be part of the solution. We all need to be part of the solution. my youngest just graduated. There are probably things I can do to help out if asked. I would be happy to help out somehow. Will some school systems need help from other school systems?

Other countries seem to be doing things that we just absolutely refuse to do. Why is that? Why can't we look and see what works and implement those things? What is Canada doing for school? Are there any already in place workable solutions being used other places for schools? Sports is easy in my opinion. No school, no cross country though.

We have had enough of quitters and bullies leading this. Where are the problem solvers?

I am concerned about urban districts that have already indicated high school classes will be online. Those students are going to suffer from academic loss and who knows what mental/emotional health issues. The students most likely to be behind the curve already are too likely to fall further behind.

I am already aware of several students within my district who plan to graduate early if they have to spend much time with online classes.

I think there are many good people working behind the scenes to develop workable solutions for their schools/communities. Because emotions are so high, however, I don't think they want to share what they are doing until they have a solution their committee has confidence in has been developed. In my district that committee includes parents, business leaders, administrators, and teachers. No one is going to get everything they want, especially if the loss of tax revenues require significant cuts to education budgets. This could become very devisive, yet it's going to be incredibly important that we all start rowing in the same direction once we have a plan. It's going to take a lot of leadership from supportive parents and busines leaders as well as school personnel to make any plan work.

I am hopeful that we can pull together at the local level.

How is the largest country in the world and the starting point of this virus 22nd in cases? They are the same size as us with a billion more people. Are they just not testing as much? Are they just not reporting as much? Or are they doing something better than us? Why do we always have to be #1: testing, cases, deaths?

We are making sure there is absolutely no way the cure can be worse than the disease. Just a little more. Almost there.. It's either that or right at the end of October, we will be told "See, big walls have multiple benefits." "Imagine how bad it would be if a Democrat was President! Try and imagine that. Remember that one person that died of Ebola?!"

How is the largest country in the world and the starting point of this virus 22nd in cases? They are the same size as us with a billion more people. Are they just not testing as much? Are they just not reporting as much? Or are they doing something better than us? Why do we always have to be #1: testing, cases, deaths?
China's stats are full of you-know-what.

The cases have spiked but the death count is now so low 10 weeks running that by next week it will not even be considered an epidemic anymore based on CDC guidelines. This is not killing healthy working age adults or as I have mentioned kids. We need to stop acting like it is and move forward. How anyone thinks the President could or should dictate what all the schools do is crazy. Ohio's plan is fine, if not a little excessive forcing staff to wear mask, but he can't please all the people. What the big city schools are doing verges on negligent and best and criminal at worst. Kids need to be in school. Fauci, the AAP, and every stat in the world confirms it. I feel bad for the many underprivileged kids the city schools serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
The death rates are not declining. Furthermore, hospitalizations, which had been flat-ish like deaths, are rising again. In some places dramatically. This is why the the scientists, doctors and epidemiologists who study this stuff have been loudly saying that things are not good for the past few weeks. The mathematical explanation is because of aggregated versus disaggregated data. Since I am one of the stupid people, here is another explanation for you.

The death rates are not declining. Furthermore, hospitalizations, which had been flat-ish like deaths, are rising again. In some places dramatically. This is why the the scientists, doctors and epidemiologists who study this stuff have been loudly saying that things are not good for the past few weeks. The mathematical explanation is because of aggregated versus disaggregated data. Since I am one of the stupid people, here is another explanation for you.

Death rates are not declining they are dropping like a rock. Where do you come up with this crap they are rising again. Man do some homework. Deaths are dropping so fast Covid is about to drop out of pandemic range. Also CDC coming out with new guidance for schools. Should open things up quite a bit and get all kids back in 100%.

Attachments

• CDC rates.jpeg
    CDC rates.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 19
If you want to tell people to do their homework, please read the page that you post from. On that page they talk about a couple of weeks of lag time in processing this data, including this commentL "The percentage is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely change as additional death certificates for deaths during recent weeks are processed." (Also please note the data you cite is over a week old.)

Or read the post I linked to which explained why it looks like death rates are not rising but will very likely rise. Really short explanation: There were LOTS of cases and lots of deaths in the NYC/NJ area. As lockdowns took effect the number of cases there declined precipitously from May into early June. But decreases in deaths there lagged weeks behind because it generally takes a fairly long time for people to die from it, and to get the death data processed. So the dropping death rate processing their overwhelmed everywhere else through most of June.

By the way % of deaths attributed to PIC declining does not by itself mean there are fewer deaths because it is not the death rate it is the percentage of deaths attributable to that source. During the spring we had a lot of sources of deaths go way down (such as accidents) while the total number of deaths increased well above normal. So the percentage spiked in the high 20s percent. (See above comments about NYC or just read the post I made that explains why looking at aggregated data in this case is generally problematic.)

Last edited: