All-Ohio?

Top 30 ALL-OHIO 20 PODIUM

• Individual OHSAA medals and OAT/CCC “ALL-OHIO” certificates are issued to the first 20 finishers on stage during the divisional awards ceremony.

• Individual OHSAA medals are awarded to the first 7 competitors on the Championship and Runners Up teams on stage during the divisional awards ceremony.

• OHSAA Team trophies are awarded to the Championship and Runners Up teams.

• OAT/CCC “ALL-OHIO” certificates for finishers 21-30 are available at the OAT/CCC tent at the west end of the stadium.

Didn't they use to award a medal to the alternate?

And the coach receives a medal.

Funny how all sports are different. At my school, the soccer team received medals for all players on the field, and the 12 players on the bench, 6 coaches, and 2 trainers.

When the trainers received regional and state medals = the day I lost all hope in OHSAA as an organization.

Funny how all sports are different. At my school, the soccer team received medals for all players on the field, and the 12 players on the bench, 6 coaches, and 2 trainers.

When the trainers received regional and state medals = the day I lost all hope in OHSAA as an organization.
It's a medal. Big deal. That's what makes the OHSAA for you? You can order extra medals.

While I don't agree that only 7 medals are given out, I understand someone of the logic. In a soccer game, everyone on the team has the potential to get into the game. Not so in CC. Give up thinking CC is ever going to be equal to other sports. Woodridge has won a state record number of championships in CC on the boys side. Do you think for one second that tops a first round exit from the playoffs for the football team? Not even close.

I would like to know how XC is different than the other sports with regard to access and awards at the state meet.
Also, I wondered do the State Tournament games in soccer, football, basketball have many more officials and workers than do other typical games during the season. I know the state XC meet will have dozens of officials throughout the day. Many of whom seem to have very little to do. Many of whom have their own personal golf cart to drive around in.

It's a medal. Big deal. That's what makes the OHSAA for you? You can order extra medals.

While I don't agree that only 7 medals are given out, I understand someone of the logic. In a soccer game, everyone on the team has the potential to get into the game. Not so in CC. Give up thinking CC is ever going to be equal to other sports. Woodridge has won a state record number of championships in CC on the boys side. Do you think for one second that tops a first round exit from the playoffs for the football team? Not even close.

It was a big deal. Medals are a huge deal with kids. Unsure how you cannot conceive this idea? With your head so far up Woodridge in every post, I can comprehend this a little bit based on your D2 mentality. Is there anything else in your life besides Woodridge- which I give respect for but they are not the standard in Ohio or even a measuring tool compared to other great programs in Ohio.

Many many kids start running because they received a medal in a race as a youngster. This is a huge deal.

It was a big deal when the athlete stood on the victory stand at state. When my senior lead and captain and top 5 runner on the team with a boot on his foot did not receive a medal. But the night before our state championship our soccer team's trainier received a medal. And in the training room at the high school, this medal sits in a drawer still today, even after the trainer moved onto another job.

It was a big deal. Medals are a huge deal with kids. Unsure how you cannot conceive this idea? With your head so far up Woodridge in every post, I can comprehend this a little bit based on your D2 mentality. Is there anything else in your life besides Woodridge- which I give respect for but they are not the standard in Ohio or even a measuring tool compared to other great programs in Ohio.

Many many kids start running because they received a medal in a race as a youngster. This is a huge deal.

It was a big deal when the athlete stood on the victory stand at state. When my senior lead and captain and top 5 runner on the team with a boot on his foot did not receive a medal. But the night before our state championship our soccer team's trainier received a medal. And in the training room at the high school, this medal sits in a drawer still today, even after the trainer moved onto another job.
I was a runner, My brothers were runners and my kids were runners. I know what it's all about and a medal has never once crossed my mind. My daughter has so many medals you would not believe. She would come home and put them on the door knob of her closet. The talent it took to keep piling them on was amazing. The weight was impressive. Her All-Ohio medals were treated with no more respect than the Billy Goat Challenge. Had to dig the ALL-OHO out of a box years later to give them to her for her sports room in her house. Not even sure we have them all. Like me, she went to Woodridge.

Minster and Woodridge are the Gold standard of CC in Ohio. You might want to respect that a little more. Winning a D3 or D2 state championship is no less an accomplishment than D1. Your D1 attitude is irksome. When Glenville dropped down to D2 from D1, Our track team crushed them at the state Track and Field Championships. They own the most State titles in Track and Field in state history. Our D2 Mentality proved too much for them.

How exactly does a kid start running after getting a medal. I think the running comes first and then the medals. If it is a big deal, it's when they are 10 years old. You could have ordered a medal for your kid that didn't get one. Maybe $10. You didn't ask about that? How important could it have been if you did not inquire about it? As an adult, I would have given him my medal. Good luck tomorrow.

To be 100% honest, I could care less about medals.

Woodridge.

Last edited:
I would like to know how XC is different than the other sports with regard to access and awards at the state meet.
Also, I wondered do the State Tournament games in soccer, football, basketball have many more officials and workers than do other typical games during the season. I know the state XC meet will have dozens of officials throughout the day. Many of whom seem to have very little to do. Many of whom have their own personal golf cart to drive around in.
Do you expect the officials to run along with the kids? Not a lot of rules in CC. Not a lot of officiating needs to be done, but it is sort of a larger competition area than any other sport, so Golf carts are sort of required. Let's be glad they have very little to do. Last thing I want is officials having anything to do with the outcome of a race.

Do you expect the officials to run along with the kids? Not a lot of rules in CC. Not a lot of officiating needs to be done, but it is sort of a larger competition area than any other sport, so Golf carts are sort of required. Let's be glad they have very little to do. Last thing I want is officials having anything to do with the outcome of a race.
I have to agree with the original post. I’ll never forget my first visit to the state meet. I thought “OMG, what are all these old men being paid to do?” Never seen so much official overkill in my life.

I have to agree with the original post. I’ll never forget my first visit to the state meet. I thought “OMG, what are all these old men being paid to do?” Never seen so much official overkill in my life.
The official overkill at the State CC and Track meets is ridiculous. I find it hard to believe the OHSAA is struggling to find officials when there are way too many cranky men yelling at kids trying to run around and have fun at these meets.

Last edited:
I was a runner, My brothers were runners and my kids were runners. I know what it's all about and a medal has never once crossed my mind. My daughter has so many medals you would not believe. She would come home and put them on the door knob of her closet. The talent it took to keep piling them on was amazing. The weight was impressive. Her All-Ohio medals were treated with no more respect than the Billy Goat Challenge. Had to dig the ALL-OHO out of a box years later to give them to her for her sports room in her house. Not even sure we have them all. Like me, she went to Woodridge.

Minster and Woodridge are the Gold standard of CC in Ohio. You might want to respect that a little more. Winning a D3 or D2 state championship is no less an accomplishment than D1. Your D1 attitude is irksome. When Glenville dropped down to D2 from D1, Our track team crushed them at the state Track and Field Championships. They own the most State titles in Track and Field in state history. Our D2 Mentality proved too much for them.

How exactly does a kid start running after getting a medal. I think the running comes first and then the medals. If it is a big deal, it's when they are 10 years old. You could have ordered a medal for your kid that didn't get one. Maybe $10. You didn't ask about that? How important could it have been if you did not inquire about it? As an adult, I would have given him my medal. Good luck tomorrow.

To be 100% honest, I could care less about medals.

Woodridge.
OK. Your point that after winning hundreds of medals their meaning diminishes is noted. I believe the point you can no longer relate to is how much they mean to the kids that only win one.

Everyone here knows about Woodridge.

OK. Your point that after winning hundreds of medals their meaning diminishes is noted. I believe the point you can no longer relate to is how much they mean to the kids that only win one.

Everyone here knows about Woodridge.
Do they though? Guess it's just a difference in expectations. High school kid should not be excited about a medal. The State Championship, YES! State Runner Up...Yes. A medal for those...no. Again, if it was that important, give the kid your medal coach or spend $10 for one for the kid or $300 out of the fund and buy everyone on the team one. Give extra special awards at the sports banquet. The meaning of a medal diminishes as soon as you get one... Not hundreds. I will admit, that it's cool to get one as part of the team if you run. Kids get to walk around with them for an hour or so, then to the bottom of a drawer or given to your parents to get back when they pass.

Not sure everyone here knows about Woodridge enough. Did you know that the girls have made it to the sate meet 18 straight times with the boys 19? Even with a D2 mentality. Not a grown up and mature D1 mentality that requires participation medals. Just D2 mentality.

The official overkill at the State CC and Track meets is ridiculous. I find it hard to believe the OHSAA is struggling to find officials when there are way too many cranky men yelling at kids trying to run around and have fun at these meets.
Until there is an issue, then the complaint will be "if there were enough officials!" Not sure why officials bother people so much. Especially if they aren't making a ton of calls. Are there too many fans there? Too many concession stand workers? What is the big deal?

Woodridge.

Did the amount of medals increase for coaches? I used to believe only the head coach got a medal. Last year I saw teams on the podium with three of the coaches wearing medals. Do getting those medals mean more to the coaches than the athletes?

I remember sitting in a coaching clinic out at the 2012 Olympic Trials where there was a panel discussion with many of the best coaches we had for the best USA distance runners. One of them talked about how they had to adjust their approach for each athlete, because each was motivated by very different things. One was motivated by place, one by time, one by who they beat, one prize money, etc. These were the most accomplished athletes in the U.S.

What each of us finds motivating is unique. I am sure Psycho Dad is well aware of this so I don't know why he's making silly declarations about whether athletes should or should not be motivated by medals. Maybe it's just to amplify his cranky internet persona?

Life is stressful enough. I'm not sure why so many seem bent on aggravating others or are simply oblivious to the fact that they do so.

Most of us have decided to invest our lives into our athletes, to build them up, to believe they can be amazing and do amazing things. It's disappointing to see us tear one another apart on the internet.

I remember sitting in a coaching clinic out at the 2012 Olympic Trials where there was a panel discussion with many of the best coaches we had for the best USA distance runners. One of them talked about how they had to adjust their approach for each athlete, because each was motivated by very different things. One was motivated by place, one by time, one by who they beat, one prize money, etc. These were the most accomplished athletes in the U.S.

What each of us finds motivating is unique. I am sure Psycho Dad is well aware of this so I don't know why he's making silly declarations about whether athletes should or should not be motivated by medals. Maybe it's just to amplify his cranky internet persona?

Life is stressful enough. I'm not sure why so many seem bent on aggravating others or are simply oblivious to the fact that they do so.

Most of us have decided to invest our lives into our athletes, to build them up, to believe they can be amazing and do amazing things. It's disappointing to see us tear one another apart on the internet.
I'm sorry about minimizing medals. I do not understand it. I look at it only in two ways. You either like to win, or you hate to lose. So, you are either motivated by being happy to win or happy to make someone else not win. Competing is the motivation. I do not understand needing anything other than the results sheet.

As a public service, I will provide the phone number for the company that can send you more medals for the kids or coaches that did not get them. 800-947-5521. (Croton craft)

I find this post absurd and childish.

"Had to dig the ALL-OHIO out of a box years later to give them to her for her sports room in her house." Why did she need the medals for her sports room if they have no meaning? It seems she would have been better served to wallpaper the room with all her result sheets her father looked at.

"Had to dig the ALL-OHIO out of a box years later to give them to her for her sports room in her house." Why did she need the medals for her sports room if they have no meaning? It seems she would have been better served to wallpaper the room with all her result sheets her father looked at.
To rub it in her fiance's face. She couldn't allow a high school baseball jersey go without 9 upping it. She has no idea where her All-ACC award is and I had only had 10 years to put together a shadow box display for them. I was going to do it that year though. What other choice did she have, Cleveland Browns stuff?

I will admit that it would be better for them to give out plaques than medals.

My response was equally childish, but in my defense, I'm eternally whimsically childish.

What I would have done is ordered an extra medal and made a special presentation. Or given the kid my coaches medal and made it a real big deal for him as a personal gesture. We all do things differently and I do not think the OHSAA is a bad thing. They do what they are supposed to do and that is put on the tournament so that Champions are determined. All I need them to do.

We’ve lost the original point that OHSAA treats CC so differently than the “major” sports. It was never about one kids medal.

We’ve lost the original point that OHSAA treats CC so differently than the “major” sports. It was never about one kids medal.
Who cares? The OHSAA puts on a tournament that concludes with 20 teams and a bunch of individuals able to compete at the championships. No voting or rankings. Just line up and race and best teams advance. My school doesn't treat CC the same as the major sports and it's infinitely more successful than any other sport at the school. It is never going to happen. Track and Field and CC are the best sports and as soon as Football people get a hold of them, it will be horrible. We already have people, one of whom complained about medals, that wants rankings or times run at some point in the season to count towards advancing to the state and not straight up competition. Is that where you want the sports to go? Adjustments being made because of course speed ratings or some other ranking system? I've had to explain the simplest scoring system in the history of sports to grown adults multiple times. A scoring system that requires only a 1st grade education. I don't need changes being made when there are people that can't understand low points win. Less is more. The OHSAA does a fine job and in my opinion the less the better.

Extra medals cost $9.00 each for state championships. If a team feels slighted, buy some. Make T-shirts. Take it upon yourself. CC will never compete with other sports. It just won't. Doesn't need to. It stands on it's own with intelligent people that understand that 15 is better than 115.

In my very humble opinion, what makes cross country great is that it is not like the other sports, and when it comes down to it it doesn’t matter if anyone not involved doesn’t understand that. The kids go out and compete for themselves and their teams. My kids are involved in both cross country and a sport that does get more attention…I’ll take XC and all the dynamics that make it great all day. Not everyone is going to get it and that’s OK

Who cares? The OHSAA puts on a tournament that concludes with 20 teams and a bunch of individuals able to compete at the championships. No voting or rankings. Just line up and race and best teams advance. My school doesn't treat CC the same as the major sports and it's infinitely more successful than any other sport at the school. It is never going to happen. Track and Field and CC are the best sports and as soon as Football people get a hold of them, it will be horrible. We already have people, one of whom complained about medals, that wants rankings or times run at some point in the season to count towards advancing to the state and not straight up competition. Is that where you want the sports to go? Adjustments being made because of course speed ratings or some other ranking system? I've had to explain the simplest scoring system in the history of sports to grown adults multiple times. A scoring system that requires only a 1st grade education. I don't need changes being made when there are people that can't understand low points win. Less is more. The OHSAA does a fine job and in my opinion the less the better.

Extra medals cost $9.00 each for state championships. If a team feels slighted, buy some. Make T-shirts. Take it upon yourself. CC will never compete with other sports. It just won't. Doesn't need to. It stands on it's own with intelligent people that understand that 15 is better than 115.
It wasn’t my point. I simply pointed out how far off track the discussion was.

In my very humble opinion, what makes cross country great is that it is not like the other sports, and when it comes down to it it doesn’t matter if anyone not involved doesn’t understand that. The kids go out and compete for themselves and their teams. My kids are involved in both cross country and a sport that does get more attention…I’ll take XC and all the dynamics that make it great all day. Not everyone is going to get it and that’s OK
I don’t see anyone in here that doesn’t love cross country. The fact that OHSAA treats it like an ugly step-child doesn’t make it better or worse. A commenter wanted to vent about the inequities he sees. I don’t have problem with that. It certainly didn’t deserve the ranting about how worthless medals are.