Akron to make deep cuts in academic and athletic programs

Anyone else see the article about Akron cutting athletic programs? Hoping baseball survives. Would be terrible for the program to come back, play half a season, then be gone again.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Hopefully it is alot of cuts to expenses in each department but they allow the baseball team to go forward. It would be disappointing for baseball to get less than a year and get chopped again.

bucksman

Is Akron at the minimum number of male sports sponsored (i.e. six)? If they aren't, then a sport might be in trouble.
I don't know the exact finances of the athletic department, but I would think across the board cuts may be their best bet, as opposed to sport sponsorship.

Mr. Slippery

Is Akron at the minimum number of male sports sponsored (i.e. six)? If they aren't, then a sport might be in trouble.
I don't know the exact finances of the athletic department, but I would think across the board cuts may be their best bet, as opposed to sport sponsorship.
Posted by someone in another thread:

Ohio MAC Schools

Toledo 6B, 9G
Kent 7B, 10G
Akron 8B, 11G
Ohio 6B, 9G
Miami 6B, 9G
BGSU 7B, 10G

Toledo, OU, and Miami sponsor the minimum number of men's sports required to remain in DI. The minimum number for women's sports to remain in DI is 8, but perhaps a 9th sport is needed to equalize funding between the men's and women's sports. For the men, I know Akron offers: football, basketball, baseball, cross country, track & field, and soccer. What else?

pcbuck

Posted by someone in another thread:

Ohio MAC Schools

Toledo 6B, 9G
Kent 7B, 10G
Akron 8B, 11G
Ohio 6B, 9G
Miami 6B, 9G
BGSU 7B, 10G

Toledo, OU, and Miami sponsor the minimum number of men's sports required to remain in DI. The minimum number for women's sports to remain in DI is 8, but perhaps a 9th sport is needed to equalize funding between the men's and women's sports. For the men, I know Akron offers: football, basketball, baseball, cross country, track & field, and soccer. What else?
The other 2 men’s sports are Golf and Rifle.

boomer24

The MAC conference was one of the 5 that includes, C-USA, Mountain West, AAC, Sunbelt, that petitioned the NCAA to drop below the minimum 16 programs. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/sports/conferences-petition-ncaa-seeking-to-cut-sports.html
This got denied across the NCAA, but there could still be reductions on a school to school basis.

Iroquois

The latest from Akron.