Akron City Series 2021

According to Mapquest the distance between the two schools is 2.0 miles.
This really makes it tough on either Shawnee or Buchtel. Whoever survives that game likely gets the Irish. And that would be to just get to the title game; which could set up either of those teams for a major "let-down" game if that's the way it went. It's going to be fun no matter what!

The Griffs are looking at a great regional final matchup with Lima Shawnee. You know, only OHSAA could have two schools that are less than 5 miles apart in different regions!
In all honesty, not too upset with OHSAA, this set up allows for the possibility (yes possibility, not drawing any conclusions) of two Akron teams making the State final 4.

The Griffs are looking at a great regional final matchup with Lima Shawnee. You know, only OHSAA could have two schools that are less than 5 miles apart in different regions!
As the higher seeds both teams picked which region the would be assigned to this year. OHSAA did not assign them separate regional brackets the coaches/AD made this decision. Plus it makes sense why would you want one of your best matchups in the entire division to occur in a regional final game which has been the case the past 15 years or so.

As the higher seeds both teams picked which region the would be assigned to this year. OHSAA did not assign them separate regional brackets the coaches/AD made this decision. Plus it makes sense why would you want one of your best matchups in the entire division to occur in a regional final game which has been the case the past 15 years or so.
Really! That's interesting. I didn't think teams had a choice as to which region they were in. You learn something new every day! Anyway, if it works out that way, a STVM/ Buchtel state semifinal would be a great game.

Really! That's interesting. I didn't think teams had a choice as to which region they were in. You learn something new every day! Anyway, if it works out that way, a STVM/ Buchtel state semifinal would be a great game.
Right, I would think the OHSAA would NOT want to open up can of worms by sending the Irish to the NW Regional anymore. I realize they were beat over there a couple of times after LBJ but that was by generational teams and before SVSM found their "groove".

Who does Shawnee have in the Regional Semifinal? TCC is only 5-9 though they actually have a common opponent with the Griffs, Luthern East.

They did like that this year due to Covid. This is the only time they did it based on seed then region versus region then seed.

that's all paywall.
Sorry i forget sometimes, I actually have a subscription to the Beacon, photo below says it all:

1615751256505.png

Also Chris declares nothing less than a State Championship for the Griffs next year!!

Congratulations to all the awarded players and to Div 2 Coach of the Year Rayshawn Dent!!

Div I

HONORABLE MENTION
Tae Perie, Canton McKinley; Kameron Anthony, Firestone; Levi Lovett, Ellet; Michael Brown, North;

DIVISION II
FIRST TEAM

Chris Livingston, Buchtel, 6-7, jr., 32.0; Noah Peeples, Akron Buchtel, 6-3, sr.,
Player of the Year: Chris Livingston, Buchtel; Malaki Branham, St. Vincent-St. Mary
Coach of the Year: Rayshon Dent, Buchtel
SECOND TEAM
Eric Holley, East, 6-3, jr., 28.4; Travonne Jackson, Buchtel, 6-6, sr., 14.0;
HONORABLE MENTION
Marcel Boyce Jr., Buchtel;

By any chance would someone have final boy's basketball records for the City Series? I am looking for conference and overall regular season records.

can’t access the article, what’s it say the different direction is.
They really don't say other than it won't be Coach Milo. According to the article everybody loves everybody and everybody is great.

"After 18 years of coaching three sports at Firestone High School, I was informed by my athletic director that the school was “going in a different direction” and that my basketball services were no longer needed," Milo wrote in an email to the Akron Beacon Journal.

"Coach Milo is one of those guys who has an incredible presence in the school," Firestone Athletic Director Brian Fuller said. "He has been substitute teaching at Firestone for 18 years. The staff respects him and loves him. The kids love him. He is a fantastic person to be around. Many of the student-athletes that have been coached under him over the years come back to see him and have great memories of being a part of his teams. I am grateful that I am his friend."

They really don't say other than it won't be Coach Milo. According to the article everybody loves everybody and everybody is great.

"After 18 years of coaching three sports at Firestone High School, I was informed by my athletic director that the school was “going in a different direction” and that my basketball services were no longer needed," Milo wrote in an email to the Akron Beacon Journal.

"Coach Milo is one of those guys who has an incredible presence in the school," Firestone Athletic Director Brian Fuller said. "He has been substitute teaching at Firestone for 18 years. The staff respects him and loves him. The kids love him. He is a fantastic person to be around. Many of the student-athletes that have been coached under him over the years come back to see him and have great memories of being a part of his teams. I am grateful that I am his friend."
Sounds like someone you want to get rid of... :rolleyes:

Appreciate it. It will be interesting what that direction turns out to be.