Africentric stays loaded

I doubt it if OG has any players from outside the OG District boundaries. I would have no problem with Afric. if all their players came from an area right around the school with a total population of 10,000 or less. The issue is and always has been being able to attract players from a very large population base while keeping the total enrollment at the school low. Until that issue is addressed this is never going to change. Competive Balance formula only kicks a school 1 division at the most. That isn't enough for the big city privates. Afric. should be renamed "The Greater Columbus Area All Star Team".
For you people who dont have a clue, afro the sch
I doubt it if OG has any players from outside the OG District boundaries. I would have no problem with Afric. if all their players came from an area right around the school with a total population of 10,000 or less. The issue is and always has been being able to attract players from a very large population base while keeping the total enrollment at the school low. Until that issue is addressed this is never going to change. Competive Balance formula only kicks a school 1 division at the most. That isn't enough for the big city privates. Afric. should be renamed "The Greater Columbus Area All Star Team".
You are a hater and i will be glad to win it every year if we could just for people like you. First the building is 4 years old and is k-12 with the total space for all at 700 now that is total for k-12, so the max we can ever go is d2 . I bet that 75 percent of schools in ohio recruit for some purpose or parents send there kids to a school for a reason. Academics- technolgy- safer school -sports- and for ones who are complaining i bet if you were given choices were you live you would do the same thing choose a school that fits whatever fits your child. So quit with the crying question does the inner city whine and cry about getting beat down year in and year out in non traditional sports ? No we dont we know its a lack of bad coaching and lack of participation at the elementary and middle school level that has to be addressed for us to compete. Bottom line get better at what you do and quir crying. Because in 10 years volleyball and softball and baseball you are going to see the inner city compete at a higher level and then you will complain about that

Guess OG was a little better than given credit...
Yes and no they were better then we or i thought and there pack line defense and zone did exactly what it was suppose to do make us hit perimeter shots , close down on walker . We were bad on the 3 ball and not taking care of ball so yes better then i thought. And if we play that way against berlin good chance we could lose

Spring,
Cut the hater bullchit. When you can't make a sensible post you throw the hater card or the race card out in the discussion. Post in English and use proper grammar. It would lend more substance to your comments.

Spring,
Cut the hater bullchit. When you can't make a sensible post you throw the hater card or the race card out in the discussion. Post in English and use proper grammar. It would lend more substance to your comments.. Anyone want to talk call 614 578 3408 ask for spring

Success brings critics. Human nature being what it is, if you are doing well, you must be cheating.

In HS sports the cheating is "recruiting" - which is a loaded word. It means coaches or their runners are contacting players/families and offering inducements. Because enrollment is an administrative matter, as well as an ohsaa compliance issue, recruiting involves an AD, principal, and maybe even a superintendent's cooperation to do on a big scale where many high profile athletes are recruited year after year. So, all of those people have to be corrupt and act in a conspiracy to accomplish the cheating.

We know it has been done, but it is rare because most adults who are professionals in education are focused on educating kids and arent willing to engage in unethical and corrupt activity to win a few ball games.

In almost every case where "recruiting" is alleged, we have a transfer of a talented player or players that gets everyone's panties in a wad. Kids/parents want to go to another place because of they think there is a better situation to go to. It may be about education or sports or a mix of motivations. As long as the coach/school didnt initiate the contact and offer inducement, and the transfer is done within the rules, it's no one's business what decisions parents make for their kids.

The "recruiting" that goes on is done by the kids themselves - who become friends thru AAU and want to play together.

Private and magnet schools have to recruit students to survive. They will get the cheating accusation thrown at them more often because the line between the student and the athlete is hard to keep distinct.

Success brings critics. Human nature being what it is, if you are doing well, you must be cheating.

In HS sports the cheating is "recruiting" - which is a loaded word. It means coaches or their runners are contacting players/families and offering inducements. Because enrollment is an administrative matter, as well as an ohsaa compliance issue, recruiting involves an AD, principal, and maybe even a superintendent's cooperation to do on a big scale where many high profile athletes are recruited year after year. So, all of those people have to be corrupt and act in a conspiracy to accomplish the cheating.

We know it has been done, but it is rare because most adults who are professionals in education are focused on educating kids and arent willing to engage in unethical and corrupt activity to win a few ball games.

In almost every case where "recruiting" is alleged, we have a transfer of a talented player or players that gets everyone's panties in a wad. Kids/parents want to go to another place because of they think there is a better situation to go to. It may be about education or sports or a mix of motivations. As long as the coach/school didnt initiate the contact and offer inducement, and the transfer is done within the rules, it's no one's business what decisions parents make for their kids.

The "recruiting" that goes on is done by the kids themselves - who become friends thru AAU and want to play together.

Private and magnet schools have to recruit students to survive. They will get the cheating accusation thrown at them more often because the line between the student and the athlete is hard to keep distinct.
For those accusing of cheating...This ? is exactly what happens. Open enrollment does NOT = cheating. Teams like Hiland are GREAT programs - kids/people gravitate to greatness.

Think big picture - Why is Lebron James the biggest name in pro basketball? Because he's tall? No. Because he's from Akron, OH? No. Because he played for the cavs, or miami, or the lakers? No. It's because he's been the best player in the game for the last 15 years. Why do you think it's so easy for him to get all the best players to want to play with him, regardless of what team he's currently playing for? Because we naturally gravitate toward greatness.

Last edited:
For you people who dont have a clue, afro the sch

You are a hater and i will be glad to win it every year if we could just for people like you. First the building is 4 years old and is k-12 with the total space for all at 700 now that is total for k-12, so the max we can ever go is d2 . I bet that 75 percent of schools in ohio recruit for some purpose or parents send there kids to a school for a reason. Academics- technolgy- safer school -sports- and for ones who are complaining i bet if you were given choices were you live you would do the same thing choose a school that fits whatever fits your child. So quit with the crying question does the inner city whine and cry about getting beat down year in and year out in non traditional sports ? No we dont we know its a lack of bad coaching and lack of participation at the elementary and middle school level that has to be addressed for us to compete. Bottom line get better at what you do and quir crying. Because in 10 years volleyball and softball and baseball you are going to see the inner city compete at a higher level and then you will complain about that
Wow.... You made a big jump there. I am not a hater, but I understand that is the go to card for may too many people these days against those who may have different thoughts and opinions. I did not accuse Afric. of recruiting, but they certainly attract certain students who just happen to be good basketball players. I do not blame Afric. for doing what they do. I do blame the system that allows it to happen. Re-read my post. Many people say the rules are the same for everyone. Yes they are, but that does not mean it is fair. In the area I live, it is very rare for athletes to open enroll or transfer to other schools, and the schools have no desire to encourage that just to be good in sports. Even if they did, it wouldn't be the same because they would be attracting athletes from a population area of 20 to 40,000 not 1,000,000 like Cbus.

I have a family member who was an excellent high school girls basketball player. She finished her career with over 1100 points and is the 2nd all time leading scorer at her high school. Her sophomore year, her team won 1 game. 1-22 record. She was miserable on that team. We literally begged her to transfer after her Freshman season because we knew what was around the corner (she didn't end up transferring).....but she is the exact type of player that is drawn to a great program like Hiland. Where her talents aren't wasted on a team that isn't going anywhere. I am NOT a big fan of private schools and I am 110% opposed to recruiting - but what is being described/happening is open enrollment - not recruiting.....lets face it, when you have talent and ability - losing and even mediocrity stinks....

Last edited:
Wow.... You made a big jump there. I am not a hater, but I understand that is the go to card for may too many people these days against those who may have different thoughts and opinions. I did not accuse Afric. of recruiting, but they certainly attract certain students who just happen to be good basketball players. I do not blame Afric. for doing what they do. I do blame the system that allows it to happen. Re-read my post. Many people say the rules are the same for everyone. Yes they are, but that does not mean it is fair. In the area I live, it is very rare for athletes to open enroll or transfer to other schools, and the schools have no desire to encourage that just to be good in sports. Even if they did, it wouldn't be the same because they would be attracting athletes from a population area of 20 to 40,000 not 1,000,000 like Cbus.
I'm 100% not an Africentric fan - I actually tend to side with more people who oppose the school. But what rule or change could be made to fix the problem? You said as MANY have on here that they blame the system and OHSAA......How do you propose they fix it? Put all the good teams regardless of size in one division?! I know thats outlandish, but thats basically what some people are insinuating - someone/anyone PLEASE, provide some kind of resolution to the problem........I'm honestly asking because I don't have the first clue how to fix it.....

I'm 100% not an Africentric fan - I actually tend to side with more people who oppose the school. But what rule or change could be made to fix the problem? You said as MANY have on here that they blame the system and OHSAA......How do you propose they fix it? Put all the good teams regardless of size in one division?! I know thats outlandish, but thats basically what some people are insinuating - someone/anyone PLEASE, provide some kind of resolution to the problem........I'm honestly asking because I don't have the first clue how to fix it.....

Define school districts for all schools, private and public. For any player playing at a school outside of their district, it counts as 20 student athletes. I dont believe we should be counting all students, just the student athletes. My opinion

Define school districts for all schools, private and public. For any player playing at a school outside of their district, it counts as 20 student athletes. I dont believe we should be counting all students, just the student athletes. My opinion
I like your idea. We would find out real quick which schools are in it for sports and which are in it for education. This similar idea was proposed back when the topic of competitive balance came up and many people feared a coach would then simply cut a player from outside the district if they were not real talented. Also , if we only count athletes, the teams would shrink down from 10-12 players to 8-10 players. I like your idea but it creates issues as well.

Bottom line, there is no simple solution. So long as there are schools set up to do exactly what Africentric is doing, and they do it by the book, it is what it is.

I like your idea. We would find out real quick which schools are in it for sports and which are in it for education. This similar idea was proposed back when the topic of competitive balance came up and many people feared a coach would then simply cut a player from outside the district if they were not real talented. Also , if we only count athletes, the teams would shrink down from 10-12 players to 8-10 players. I like your idea but it creates issues as well.

Bottom line, there is no simple solution. So long as there are schools set up to do exactly what Africentric is doing, and they do it by the book, it is what it is.

Yes, there would have to be more to it than my suggestions and it is a difficult topic but I do believe Ohio needs to either close the loop holes or make another division for teams that want to recruit and/or play on the national level.

Teams like Hiland are GREAT programs - kids/people gravitate to greatness.
I quote this part simply because it is true but also because it is part of a misunderstanding of what is going on at Hiland in particular.

If you have a talented girl basketball player in the Holmes, Tuscarawas, Wayne, Coshocton Counties area, you would be nuts to not consider getting your kid to Hiland.

But, the reality is that very, very few do it. It is just a hard place to move to because of property values and a hard place to deliver your kid to because of distance if you dont relocate. It is very, very rare that Hiland gets a talented impact transfer, but my impression is that a lot of people think their starters and half of their bench is from outside the district.

The reality is very different. There is one girl I know of on this years roster (and last year's roster) who came from outside the district. She is a back up post. Nice player and she may be great next year as a senior, but she has not been why Hiland has gone to state the last 2 years. Whatever talent Hiland has is completely natural, not contrived - and that would be true almost any year of the last 30 - but people look at them and ASSUME it is unnatural.

If one accepts that it is natural, the implication is that there is something Coach Schlabach is doing that anyone can do, but isnt. So, it must be cheating that explains the success. Lol.

OK. Now I'm really confused. Lol
Ohsaa let’s you pull in kids from a larger area than your district. Jackson football pulls kids from 3 counties because they have a good team. A school like Wellston always loses its best athletes to Jackson. Most schools play with what is in their district. No more. Jackson will then complain that Desales recruits. To Wellston both Jackson and Desales cheat

When there was an impact transfer to Hiland would be Jen Todd in the late 90s, Noelle Yoder in 09, and Morgan McMillen in 16 - unless I'm forgetting someone. Regardless, only ignorant people and fools think Hiland's success is built on transfers.

Ohsaa let’s you pull in kids from a larger area than your district. Jackson football pulls kids from 3 counties because they have a good team. A school like Wellston always loses its best athletes to Jackson. Most schools play with what is in their district. No more. Jackson will then complain that Desales recruits. To Wellston both Jackson and Desales cheat

It is called open enrollment

I dont care what stupid people think. I care about what is actually happening. If we start equating what stupid people think with what is true, we are in serious trouble - and sports is the least of those troubles.

We can transfer the Hiland situation over to AC or any private school on a metro area. If they arent enrolling the best players within their reach, they are doing something wrong!

I dont care what stupid people think. I care about what is actually happening. If we start equating what stupid people think with what is true, we are in serious trouble - and sports is the least of those troubles.
We have turned Ohio sports into all star A vs all star B

Some truth to that, but the solution isnt to accuse the A's of cheating when most of them are within the rules. Proposing better rules would be more productive.
I’m just not a fan of the weaker all star team complaining about the good all star team. It’s always the rural white all star team complaining about the black inner city all star team. I’m like you both cheat lol

Columbus has open enrollement and any family can choose for whatever reason they choose to put there child in open enrollment and hope they get in. Its not cheating and for you pathetic people who think its only about sports . question are team point grade average is 3.1 and the girls qualify to go to college. So are little so called only girls basketball program the school does something to to get them ready

Yes, there would have to be more to it than my suggestions and it is a difficult topic but I do believe Ohio needs to either close the loop holes or make another division for teams that want to recruit and/or play on the national level.
You sound stupid these schools dont need to do anything the rep they have does it

Never said they need to do anything, I am not complaining. Just in a discussion with someone else. If it makes you feel better to start a conversation like you just did, I would say, it really makes you look stupid and ignorant. I would guess you have a lot of pent up anger that maybe you need to address.

I’m just not a fan of the weaker all star team complaining about the good all star team. It’s always the rural white all star team complaining about the black inner city all star team. I’m like you both cheat lol
OK. Now you have thrown out the the card that is the equivalent of a stink bomb at a picnic - and I'm not going to engage in that level of discussion.

You are wrong. I think almost no one is cheating - and it disturbs me that you missed that point.

the rules have been relaxed so it's really difficult to cheat unless you blatantly falsifying residential requirements for the public schools, or try to move in season. I think some of that was done because it's because transferring is to prevalent that it's not possibly to investigate all cases. The ones that really suffer I feel are the D4 / D3 schools, many of whom that don't have an elaborate feeder system like a popular private school does.
But the bigger issue for D4/ D3 schools for girls especially is sports specialization where many good girl athletes decide to choose one sport and not play any others. Small schools rely on kids who have an A, B and C sports they play. If your A kids just play their A sport and nothing else, it leaves a void in the other sports and you end up with very inferior teams, hense the big differences in scores, even at the district and regional level. One D4 girls regional final had a final point spread of 35 points, none was closer than 10. So it's not just a private / public school think.

You sound stupid these schools dont need to do anything the rep they have does it
I think the schools that complain need to form there own tourmaments and leagues and drop out of ohssa , that way you can play schools who are like you divide up how you like. Inner city schools are not crying so we are good ! Please push your school board and tax payers in anyone school district that has issues to drop out form your own make your rules play only those teams you feel are not cheating . just do it please

Yes
Never said they need to do anything, I am not complaining. Just in a discussion with someone else. If it makes you feel better to start a conversation like you just did, I would say, it really makes you look stupid and ignorant. I would guess you have a lot of pent up anger that maybe you need to address.
Yes for people like you who accuse