Adidas/NCAA bribery scandal

Was just reading about this. What's weird is they didn't just get adidas schools. USC is with Jerry Jones crap company called Silver Star, Auburn is Under Armour and Arizona is Nike. Although, I'm not sure how far back this investigation goes, when each school signed with each company etc. So maybe they all tie back to adidas? So much information in this.

Regarding Sig's initial comment: adidas paid a 3rd party to get All American Brian Bowan for $100,000. No wonder it was a surprise commitment for them. That kid better hope he's good enough to land on an NBA team this coming draft.

Was just reading about this. What's weird is they didn't just get adidas schools. USC is with Jerry Jones crap company called Silver Star, Auburn is Under Armour and Arizona is Nike. Although, I'm not sure how far back this investigation goes, when each school signed with each company etc. So maybe they all tie back to adidas? So much information in this.

Regarding Sig's initial comment: adidas paid a 3rd party to get All American Brian Bowan for $100,000. No wonder it was a surprise commitment for them. That kid better hope he's good enough to land on an NBA team this coming draft.

I don't recall USC, Oklahoma St, Auburn, or Arizona ever being contracted with Adidas, but those assistant coaches probably used that to their advantage to be on the take.

Auburn has been with Under Armor since 2006 and wore Russell before that. The others have been with Nike for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:
This is gigantic. Would be great to see U of L get the death penalty now. I wonder what penalty Adidas will have to pay, if any.

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-basketball-bribery-scandal-arrests-2017-9

they've been 'paying' kids in different ways for years

the amount of free stuff these kids get along with tuition, tutoring and everything else is a complete joke

there's a reason no country in the rest of the world copies this model

It's all garbage

they've been 'paying' kids in different ways for years

the amount of free stuff these kids get along with tuition, tutoring and everything else is a complete joke

there's a reason no country in the rest of the world copies this model

It's all garbage

The model where they have free, or incredibly inexpensive, universities and their professional sports don't make you wait until you're 19+ to play for them? Are you talking about that model?

Pitino bragged about having to spend zero dollars to get Brian Bowen when he actually paid 100K behind the scenes. :laugh:

DKqDqCBUQAAjUAR.jpg

To be honest, I don't think Pitino had much knowledge of what was going on. I'm sure he knew something was going on, but I doubt he had specifics. Wouldn't make sense for a head coach to be that involved. Smart enough to have a fall guy. Doesn't really matter anymore, I think in 2013 NCAA passed a new rule that head coaches are still responsible for their assistants.

To be honest, I don't think Pitino had much knowledge of what was going on. I'm sure he knew something was going on, but I doubt he had specifics. Wouldn't make sense for a head coach to be that involved. Smart enough to have a fall guy. Doesn't really matter anymore, I think in 2013 NCAA passed a new rule that head coaches are still responsible for their assistants.

He knew. Maybe not specifically, but the head coach sets an atmosphere where it's known if that stuff is tolerated or not. Pitino obviously tolerated it and likely expected it from assistants.

Pull your head out of the sand. Come on.

Pull your head out of the sand. Come on.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Enlighten yourself. It's a great read.
"Coach has met me a few times. I've talked to Coach. But Coach doesn't really know me from Adam. How many other folks do you think he meets a week? After he got hired, I walked up and shook his hand, and the guy introducing us says, "Hey Coach, this here's [first name], he takes care of stuff for us.' Now, what does that really mean? Do I charter planes for the university? Do I run a company that sells concessions to the stadium? Or do I make sure kids get taken care of? Coach doesn't know what I 'take care of.' He knows someone out there is doing this, and that's all."

Wonder what will happen to the Yum Center if UofL gets the death penalty. It's only seven years old but was already near bankruptcy last year and they had to renegotiate their deal with the Cardinals. That's not going to get any better if they lose their biggest tenant for a few years

From NotJerryTipton:

First hookers, and now federal corruption. Wow. At this point, a scandal involving adultery on a restaurant floor almost seems quaint.

Tax payer bailout?

They already paid for it once. Just declare bankruptcy on it and sell the property on the cheap to a private company. Sucks if you are a Jefferson county taxpayer, but I am enjoying the hell out of this whole thing

Maybe UK will start playing a game a year in Louisville again :laugh: