ABJ: 12 Greater Akron football players who should have Division I offers

How the horrible Akron Zips aren't heavily recruiting NEO schools I don't understand.
Akron current QB's : DJ Irons - 3 star from Georgia (JUCO) Ryan Jankowski, (Vero Beach FLA, All Florida and 3rd in Florida POY voting), Dijon Jennings - 3 star from Reyondsburg but way too small, Jeff Undercuffler - FCS transfer from Albany who put crazy numbers there.

All better than 99% of HS QB's in Ohio much less NEO.

Truth be told, on a given Friday at 95% of HS games, there are maybe 4-5 kids good enough to be impact DIII kids, maybe 1 or 2 DII kids, and rarely a FBS/FCS kid on the field. Rare occasions like Massillon/Ed's games have multiple D1 kids. Sadly those 2-3% of HS games get all the attention and everyone thinks that 4/8 40 kid is a D1 kid because all the other kids are 5/3-40 kids.

I understand the sentiment that D1 isn't the end all be all, but if the rest of the kids on the list are like Boyce, then maybe the scouts missed a few, because in my humble opinion Boyce is definitely D1 material.
Boyce is also having a pretty decent basketball season, with his Griffs advancing to the final State Final 4

Boyce is averaging 23.7 points per game in Buchtel’s seven-game win streak, which began with a win over East in the City Series postseason championship game. Here's a look at his last seven games:

• 24 points vs. East
  • 31 points vs. Canton McKinley
  • 19 points vs. Bedford (sectional)
  • 20 points vs. Bay Village (district)
  • 22 points vs. VA-SJ (district)
  • 21 points vs. Chaney (regional)
  • 29 points vs. Gilmour Academy (regional)

Boyce is also having a pretty decent basketball season, with his Griffs advancing to the final State Final 4

Boyce is averaging 23.7 points per game in Buchtel’s seven-game win streak, which began with a win over East in the City Series postseason championship game. Here's a look at his last seven games:

• 24 points vs. East
  • 31 points vs. Canton McKinley
  • 19 points vs. Bedford (sectional)
  • 20 points vs. Bay Village (district)
  • 22 points vs. VA-SJ (district)
  • 21 points vs. Chaney (regional)
  • 29 points vs. Gilmour Academy (regional)
Boyce scored 18 points including the 2 most important free throws in Buchtel basketball history to help clinch Buchtel's first state title in basketball.

If Akron is only going to get a certain level of recruit, why not get them locally to generate some regional interest until they start winning? Better to lose with 2 star recruits from NEO than to keep doing it with kids no one has heard about here.
Over the weekend I thought about this even more. The Akron U Recruiting coordinator should be put on notice, he not only passed on a kid (Boyce JR) that only played 2 years of high school football and lit it up so the upside is enormous, but the kid's Dad was also a star for the Akron U basketball team in the 80's, the positive PR stories write themselves!!

Last edited:
If Akron is only going to get a certain level of recruit, why not get them locally to generate some regional interest until they start winning? Better to lose with 2 star recruits from NEO than to keep doing it with kids no one has heard about here.
Have heard this about Akron for 30 years.