A Look Back At The WBL Championships

Interesting points for those who don’t want to the article:

Celina, Shawnee and Defiance are in a league of their own, with 151, 144 and 143 titles, respectively. The 4th team, Bath, has 89.

Defiance leads with 114 boys titles, Celina with 85 girls titles.

Kenton is also in a class of their own, with 35 total WBL titles, worst in the league. That is 46 less and less than half the amount of titles as the 2nd worst school, Elida at 81.

Team with most title per sport:
Boys CC: 26, Defiance
Girls CC: 11, Defiance and Van Wert
Boys Soccer: 9, Elida
Girls Soccer: 7, Celina
Football: 25, St. Mary’s
Boys Golf: 17, Bath
Boys Basketball: 19, Ottawa-Glandorf
Girls Basketball: 18, Bath
Boys Swimming: 12, Shawnee
Girls Swimming: 13, Shawnee
Volleyball: 26, Celina
Boys Tennis: 25, Shawnee
Girls Tennis: 20, Shawnee
Wrestling: 21, Defiance
Boys Bowling: 2, St. Mary’s and Wapakoneta
Girls Bowling: 4, St. Mary’s
Baseball: 25, Defiance
Softball: 21, Bath
Boys Track: 17, Defiance
Girls Track: 27, Celina

Celina, Shawnee and Defiance are in a league of their own, with 151, 144 and 143 titles, respectively. The 4th team, Bath, has 89.

Kenton is also in a class of their own, with 35 total WBL titles, worst in the league. That is 46 less and less than half the amount of titles as the 2nd worst school, Elida at 81.

Team with most title per sport:
Boys CC: 26, Defiance
Girls CC: 11, Defiance and Van Wert
Boys Soccer: 9, Elida
Girls Soccer: 7, Celina
Football: 25, St. Mary’s
Boys Golf: 17, Bath
Boys Basketball: 19, Ottawa-Glandorf
Girls Basketball: 18, Bath
Boys Swimming: 12, Shawnee
Girls Swimming: 13, Shawnee
Volleyball: 26, Celina
Boys Tennis: 25, Shawnee
Girls Tennis: 20, Shawnee
Wrestling: 21, Defiance
Boys Bowling: 2, St. Mary’s and Wapakoneta
Girls Bowling: 4, St. Mary’s
Baseball: 25, Defiance
Softball: 21, Bath
Boys Track: 17, Defiance
Girls Track: 27, Celina
You just gave the OP a chubby with the comments on Kenton as he has a personal vendetta against them!

Man, I miss the 90s and early 2000s when Defiance actually competed for All Sports titles instead of just dominating baseball and the running events and taking the random good years when we get them in the rest.

As someone who is vaguely familiar with the WBL, but has never paid attention to much of its history other than football, those are the last 3 schools that I would have guessed to lead in league titles

As someone who is vaguely familiar with the WBL, but has never paid attention to much of its history other than football, those are the last 3 schools that I would have guessed to lead in league titles

Shawnee is good in all the, for lack of better term, rich kid country club sports plus soccer. Sports that daddy’s money can buy extra training year round just 5 minutes up the road in Lima.

Defiance probably has the most diverse demographic in the league and I believe Defiance is the largest city in the league, so they have a ever so slightly larger talent pool to collect from.

Not really sure about Celina. They absolutely killed it in Volleyball and Girls Track and they aren’t far behind in girls soccer. Statistically they have the most athletic girls in the league. Definitely gives them a bump. They also killed it in Boys Basketball.

No team was won a title in every single sport. Wapakoneta comes closest with 19/20 sports, yet they are ranked 7th in total titles.

Shawnee is good in all the, for lack of better term, rich kid country club sports plus soccer. Sports that daddy’s money can buy extra training year round just 5 minutes up the road in Lima.

Defiance probably has the most diverse demographic in the league and I believe Defiance is the largest city in the league, so they have a ever so slightly larger talent pool to collect from.

Not really sure about Celina. They absolutely killed it in Volleyball and Girls Track and they aren’t far behind in girls soccer. Statistically they have the most athletic girls in the league. Definitely gives them a bump. They also killed it in Boys Basketball.

Depends on whether you count Lima as "in the league." Elida, Fort Shawnee, and Bath Township are small, but they all draw from Lima and routinely attract from around the city.

But otherwise, yeah Defiance is the biggest city.

All based on most recent estimates:
Defiance 16,634
Celina 10,425
Kenton 8,180
Ottawa 4,357
St. Marys 8,160
Van Wert 10,676
Wapakoneta 9,698
Lima 36,658
Elida 1,803

On the other hand, our district compared to some (Wapak and Celina in particular) is tiny in terms of land area. For us to meet Wapak's district size we'd have to absorb Ayersville and most of Tinora....which would put us as a solid D2 in football and D1 in everything else.

That can help AND hurt, as we have a larger population base to draw from, but also 2 other schools in town for families to pick. I believe our net open enrollment is a negative.

All accurate comments but especially the bold comments.

Depends on whether you count Lima as "in the league." Elida, Fort Shawnee, and Bath Township are small, but they all draw from Lima and routinely attract from around the city.

Defiance 16,634
Celina 10,425
Kenton 8,180
Ottawa 4,357
St. Marys 8,160
Van Wert 10,676
Wapakoneta 9,698
Lima 36,658
Elida 1,803

On the other hand, our district compared to some (Wapak and Celina in particular) is tiny in terms of land area. For us to meet Wapak's district size we'd have to absorb Ayersville and most of Tinora....which would put us as a solid D2 in football and D1 in everything else.

That can help AND hurt, as we have a larger population base to draw from, but also 2 other schools in town for families to pick. I believe our net open enrollment is a negative.

Bath Local Schools Boundary Map.PNG
Elida Local Schools Boundary Map.PNG
Perry Local Schools Boundary Map.PNG
Shawnee Local Schools Map.PNG

Last edited:

Defiance 16,634
Celina 10,425
Kenton 8,180
Ottawa 4,357
St. Marys 8,160
Van Wert 10,676
Wapakoneta 9,698
Lima 36,658
Elida 1,803

From a strictly economic sense and disregarding things like history, etc. there is little reason for ayersville and tinora to be separate districts. If they consolidated with defiance, it would save a lot of money. Ohio has more school districts per capita than almost any other state

From a strictly economic sense and disregarding things like history, etc. there is little reason for ayersville and tinora to be separate districts. If they consolidated with defiance, it would save a lot of money. Ohio has more school districts per capita than almost any other state

There are 610 school districts in Ohio according to the ODE.

North Carolina who has a state population roughly 1 million persons smaller than Ohio has 115 school districts.

By contrast, Illinois who has a state population of slightly less than 1 million more persons than Ohio has 859 school districts according to the state's website.

Georgia who is ranked just behind Ohio in state population has 181 school districts.

PA has 500, Michigan 587, Indiana 291.

There are 610 school districts in Ohio according to the ODE.

North Carolina who has a state population roughly 1 million persons smaller than Ohio has 115 school districts.

By contrast, Illinois who has a state population of slightly less than 1 million more persons than Ohio has 859 school districts according to the state's website.

Georgia who is ranked just behind Ohio in state population has 181 school districts.

PA has 500, Michigan 587, Indiana 291.

It’s very interesting to think about how great ( in football) some of these schools would be if they were consolidated. Imagine Pickerington High School, combining Central and North or Massillon High, combining Washington, Perry and Jackson.

Allen, TX has a population of 100,000, yet had just a single high school for all of its residents. Dayton has a population of 140,000 yet DPS has 6 high schools, plus Dayton has many private schools such as Carroll or Chaminade Julienne. Could you imagine how powerful a Dayton High School would be if DPS consolidated into a single school?

It’s very interesting to think about how great ( in football) some of these schools would be if they were consolidated. Imagine Pickerington High School, combining Central and North or Massillon High, combining Washington, Perry and Jackson.

Allen, TX has a population of 100,000, yet had just a single high school for all of its residents. Dayton has a population of 140,000 yet DPS has 6 high schools, plus Dayton has many private schools such as Carroll or Chaminade Julienne. Could you imagine how powerful a Dayton High School would be if DPS consolidated into a single school?

Obviously you're aware but FWIW there was a time not too terribly long ago that there was only ONE Pickerington HS. Now was it smaller than what these two are today? I'm sure that it was haha and I get what you're saying though. In theory yes their powers would make for a pretty dominating force.

One thing that I think makes Ohio football great is opportunity. Imagine being a kid in Allen, TX and being average and knowing you're not gonna dress probably on Friday nights. Now imagine being average in Ohio and knowing if I work hard I too can wear my local high school's helmet on Friday nights. You'll probably even start.

My AD now was on the coaching staff at Byrnes HS in Duncan, SC back when Byrnes came to Cincinnati to play Moeller back in 2007 I believe. Byrnes a public high school of 2,400 kids who would go on to win a state title that season in SC would need multiple OT's to beat a Moeller team wo would go on to finish the season 5-5 and NOT even make the playoffs. Grant it, a private high school serving a metro area and has tradition but still.

The South is a lot like the movie Hoosier. "Everyone loves football down here but not all go out for the team".

Hopefully that never happens, Defiance needs to stay away from Division I in every sport.

Hopefully that never happens, Defiance needs to stay away from Division I in every sport.

I wouldn't have minded seeing what a Defiance/Tinora combined baseball team could have done in D1 5 years ago.

But otherwise, yeah. We struggled to compete in D1 in the 90s when the talent level was up. It would be really bad now. Likely still 1, max 2 baseball titles, definitely no basketball. Cross country might compete, but not at top 5-10 in the state level. We're just fine in D2/3.

Defiance's diverse demographics cuts both ways. In recent years the middle class has almost disappeared in Defiance. This is the main reason for their decline in some sports. Lots of kids walking the hallways from poor, one parent homes with no athletic thoughts or intentions, and many are academically ineligible. Two other school districts (Tinora and Ayersville) actually have boundaries inside the city of Defiance, mainly in the newer housing areas where the remaining middle class resides. So the argument that they have a larger talent pool to draw from is not true. Defiance virtually has very little rural area in their district, only a small amount on the south end of the district. They do have great facilities, good coaches in most sports, and an administration that supports athletics.

A few years ago they got moved up to d1 in CC for 2 years and one year finished 15th and would have a good shot to win d2 (top 3 for sure).
Yep. Might've had some more state appearances back in the 70s and 80s too if it wasn't in the biggest class. Also could've had another state title in baseball and/or a couple more state appearances if it didn't have to go through Start in the regionals every year in the 90s. And basketball might've made it to state in the 70s. But enough of that, many schools could probably say, "If only we weren't just barely in that higher division..." It might sound weird but I don't want to see the enrollment grow. If I remember correctly, Defiance was 1 boy short of being Division I in basketball recently. Of course, that might've included a competitive balance adjustment.

Last edited:
One thing I just realized is that Defiance Baseball is probably going to have to get it together this year after three mediocre seasons (plus a canceled season), to keep the school's WBL title streak alive - pretty sure every year it's been in the WBL, it's been the only school to win at least one league title every year in a sport. Usually we can count on one of the cross country or track teams or something random, but sadly, overall athletics have been on a downturn lately.

Defiance's diverse demographics cuts both ways. In recent years the middle class has almost disappeared in Defiance. This is the main reason for their decline in some sports. Lots of kids walking the hallways from poor, one parent homes with no athletic thoughts or intentions, and many are academically ineligible. Two other school districts (Tinora and Ayersville) actually have boundaries inside the city of Defiance, mainly in the newer housing areas where the remaining middle class resides. So the argument that they have a larger talent pool to draw from is not true. Defiance virtually has very little rural area in their district, only a small amount on the south end of the district. They do have great facilities, good coaches in most sports, and an administration that supports athletics.

I’m not very informed about the area, but what top level athletes are passing on Defiance for Ayersville or Tinora? Both are pretty small and it’s not like they are powers in their respective divisions

I’m not very informed about the area, but what top level athletes are passing on Defiance for Ayersville or Tinora? Both are pretty small and it’s not like they are powers in their respective divisions
I would guess Defiance has gained more higher-level athletes than it has lost over the years, in terms of strictly transfers. But some of the housing areas containing the more affluent and better family units are actually in the Tinora district and perhaps a little in the Ayersville district - at least the growth has maybe been headed that way. And Tinora has done quite well athletically recently. I think it has made it to state tournaments in more sports than Defiance has, and had several individual state champs in recent years. The only place for the Defiance district population to grow is south, toward Paulding.

Yep. Might've had some more state appearances back in the 70s and 80s too if it wasn't in the biggest class. Also could've had another state title in baseball and/or a couple more state appearances if it didn't have to go through Start in the regionals every year in the 90s. And basketball might've made it to state in the 70s. But enough of that, many schools could probably say, "If only we weren't just barely in that higher division..." It might sound weird but I don't want to see the enrollment grow. If I remember correctly, Defiance was 1 boy short of being Division I in basketball recently. Of course, that might've included a competitive balance adjustment.

2018-19. D1 cut off was 362, we had 327 base plus 32 for CB so we were 3 boys short.

For some reason I never even noticed that. That year was so weird too, with the 10-2 start, then going 2-8 down the stretch but then still managing to win a sectional.

Couldn't have seen much of a run at all in D1, considering they went 0-4 against D1 teams.

I would guess Defiance has gained more higher-level athletes than it has lost over the years, in terms of strictly transfers. But some of the housing areas containing the more affluent and better family units are actually in the Tinora district and perhaps a little in the Ayersville district - at least the growth has maybe been headed that way. And Tinora has done quite well athletically recently. I think it has made it to state tournaments in more sports than Defiance has, and had several individual state champs in recent years. The only place for the Defiance district population to grow is south, toward Paulding.
Agree. Defiance does not lose athletes to Tinora and Ayersville. They lose some students, but not athletes. A few athletes (not many) from Tinora and Ayersville open enroll to Defiance. My experience and observation over the years says the success of HS athletics is directly related to the level of competence and athletic knowledge of the parents of the kids, especially during the grade school years when parents are the coaches. In Defiance I have seen whole classes raised up athetically by a few good parent coaches, and have seen whole classes lost by bad parent coaches.

Looks like it's two-in-a-row for St Marys in wrestling.

As a whole the St Marys Memorial athletic program is having a very good year, and has been on the rise. I could see them being in contention for the All Sports Trophy. All of their winter sports are currently top 4 in their respective standings. Good for the Roughriders.

Looks like it's two-in-a-row for St Marys in wrestling.

As a whole the St Marys Memorial athletic program is having a very good year, and has been on the rise. I could see them being in contention for the All Sports Trophy. All of their winter sports are currently top 4 in their respective standings. Good for the Roughriders.
Would be nice. Tired of Celina/Shawnee/Wapak.

Defiance 16,634
Celina 10,425
Kenton 8,180
Ottawa 4,357
St. Marys 8,160
Van Wert 10,676
Wapakoneta 9,698
Lima 36,658
Elida 1,803

dhsdog, You provide solid comments most the time, but Bath and Shawnee and even Elida lose many more athletes on a regular basis to Lima Senior and LCC than they ever get. Now Defiance baseball has got at-least one really good player [College level] from Toledo area who graduated in 2012, I believe. Should I be complaining about that?

dhsdog, You provide solid comments most the time, but Bath and Shawnee and even Elida lose many more athletes on a regular basis to Lima Senior and LCC than they ever get. Now Defiance baseball has got at-least one really good player [College level] from Toledo area who graduated in 2012, I believe. Should I be complaining about that?

I wasn't talking transfers here. I mean all 3 districts are physically partially in the city of Lima. I realize that for transfer they get, they lose multiple, it's just the 3 townships and Elida would make for pretty small schools. The portions physically in Lima make up a solid chunk of enrollment. And that's no issue, that's where the lines are drawn and that's their boundary.

Just curious, who did we get from the Toledo area?We absolutely have benefitted from move ins, not denying that. I know of one in particular from North Central, a basketball player from Tinora. Not saying you're wrong, just trying to figure out who.