A little bragging

I noted she had the fastest time so far, albeit on the over-sized oval @ Kentucky. Been there once years ago.

She ran an SEC record 22.41 yesterday.
Nice interview with Abby here.

She is looking at this with a good perspective. It says a lot about her as a young woman and the coaching that she has received. During the interview, she specifically stated she is not looking ahead to the Olympics or the Olympic trials and is taking this all one step at a time - indoor competition at Kentucky, outdoor competition at Kentucky, Olympic trials, Olympics, etc.
Her classmate Lucas Bons ran a sub 4:00 (3:55.45) mile.

That's fantastic! Here are the results from that race.

The times that the collegiate runners are recording, particularly in the mile, are insane. Oregon, this year alone, has four guys under 4 minutes. Two of them are under 3:51.

Covid has been really weird and I expected performances to take a hit but it seems as if many took it as a chance to buckle down and train harder. The improvement in collegiate performances we're seeing now, from throwers, sprinters, and mid- and distance runners, is really impressive. This bodes well for the United States in the 1500.

This is off-topic, but here is an article from Track & Field News that looks at some 1500 candidates. A few of those guys are current collegiate runners. You'll also recognize a few other Ohioans in the article - Sam Prakel, Colby Alexander, Brannon Kidder, and Clayton Murphy. The US middle-distance situation is in great shape.

Last edited:
The times that the collegiate runners are recording, particularly in the mile, are insane. Oregon, this year alone, has four guys under 4 minutes. Two of them are under 3:51.

Covid has been really weird and I expected performances to take a hit but it seems as if many took it as a chance to buckle down and train harder.

Not saying they didn't train hard but is the drop in times due to new shoe technology?

Here's another central Ohio athlete running great times:

1614536525547.png

... at least I think it's Lucas Bons from Dublin Coffman

Last edited:
Nice interview with Abby here.

She is looking at this with a good perspective. It says a lot about her as a young woman and the coaching that she has received. During the interview, she specifically stated she is not looking ahead to the Olympics or the Olympic trials and is taking this all one step at a time - indoor competition at Kentucky, outdoor competition at Kentucky, Olympic trials, Olympics, etc.

I have been really impressed with the coaches at UK.

Not saying they didn't train hard but is the drop in times due to new shoe technology?

Some elites including Nick Willis has said they think the new spikes could give 3-5% for those that respond to them. Facilities get better and faster all the time also. I wonder if covid and remote learning curb a lot of partying and staying up all night completing school work. Would potentially cleaner lifestyles help with the incredible depth of times and marks we are seeing in most every event? A 4:00 mile is hardly anything special nationally although I still see it as a gold standard.