A Follow-Up: Coach Mauro at Canal Winchester

polar_purple

Most people know that Coach Mauro left for the head coaching position at Canal Winchester, a suburban Columbus school district playing in division 3. From what people down there have told me, CW has a reputation for being a football softie, and doesn't have a big following. Given that their five-year record is 20-30 (thanks Joe Eitel!), I suppose that's understandable.

However, one thing to note is that CW is a rapidly growing community (what Columbus suburan district isn't?), so that might change.

A look back at those last five years, CW is apparently in an eight team league featuring former D5 (super)power, Amanda-Clearcreek. A-C had the misfortune of growing this year and moving up to D4, where Steubenville and Mooney both lie (oww!!!). CW itself moved up from D4 to D3 back in 2003.

Back to Joe Eitel, Canal Winchester is now 4-0 on this young season, but haven't exactly beaten any major teams, as their opponents corporate record is a mere 4-12. Going forward, the Indians' opponents are 9-15 so far this year.

Best of luck to Coach Mauro and his Canal Winchester Indians. They have a reasonable shot at the D3R12 playoffs this year, as they're currently ranked second in that region.

Possibly their toughest game of the year could be this Friday night, against Circleville (8-2 last year and a perenial playoff qualifier).

They popped Circleville 27-17. Now at the top of Region 12. Only two tough games remaining...should qualify easily for States.

Well, Coach Mauro and the Canal Winchester took one on the chin, big-time, last week.

They traveled down to Fairfield Union - a team who had YET TO WIN this year, and got beat, 14-12.

Canal Winchester is now 5-1 on the season under Coach Mauro. Easily there best start in five years.

The perennial power (okay, not this year), Amanda-Clearcreek, came calling and were dispatched 27-22 by the Indians.

Coach Mauro and CW now sit at 6-1 and atop D3R12, a full point ahead of #2.

A familiar hue of colors greeted Coach Mauro last weekend as CW travelled down to Bloom-Carroll to face the purple & gold, Bulldogs. Winchester came away with a 10-0 win to increase their record to 7-1.

Barring an utter collapse, CW should easily make the playoffs, as they face a 5-3 Hamilton Twp this week, and close out against winless Logan Elm.

Since the 2002 season, this is the Indians' best year. Don't know about pre-2002 history.

CW is in the second round. I believe this is only their second playoff appearance ever and last week's win in the first round was their first ever playoff win. They had to pull it out, down 15-13 with only 4:20 left they drove to the six and kicked a feild goal with time expiring. The snapper, the holder and the kicker were all Sophomores!

Coach Mauro's doing a great job down there...plus the team is relatively young, only 6 starters are seniors.

BWM

Wow

All-Central District: Congratulations to Coach Mauro, Division III Coach of the Year...1st Team Offense: Zach Brown, Tony Davis; 1st Team Defense: Zack Hitchens, Anthony Nixon; 2nd Team Offense: Dominique Cosby; 2nd Team Defense: Ryan Huff, Kyle Gibson; Honorable Mention: Travis Stevenson

Good for Coach Mauro

Phil Mauro was one of three coaches to garner All-Ohio honors in D-3. Vic Whiting of Northwest was one of the others. Congrats.

Just an update....

Granted they haven't played a team above .500 (including three teams who have a combined one win amongst them), Canal Winchester is still undefeated this year at 6-0. Looks like Mauro isn't doing too bad down there.

They have a very good chance at going unbeaten in the regular season and perhaps even win their region.

Is that the same Phil Mauro that didn't know anything and was ran out of your town down there? Wow! I guess he can coach! Maybe I'm glad I didn't get that job afterall. Haha!

More on Mauro

CW went 9-1 in '08, giving Mauro a 18-2 regular season record for his first two years there (much better than his almost .700 record at Jackson over 11 years). I believe they lost in the first round last year...giving CW a 1-2 record in the playoffs since Mauro arrived.

Some are saying that this year's team '09 could be CW's best ever.

Last edited:
CW went 9-1 in '08, giving Mauro a 18-2 regular season record for his first two years there (much better than his almost .700 record at Jackson over 11 years). I believe they lost in the first round last year...giving CW a 1-2 record in the playoffs since Mauro arrived.

Some are saying that this year's team '09 could be CW's best ever.

Well Mauro is at it again. CW is 2-0 in '09 so far winning their first two games by a combined score of 92-13...

Why is it we ran him off again?????

Hmmm......if Lake and CW both make the playoffs, they could play each other. Canal Winchester has now moved up to Division 2, and is in Lake's region (R7). Interesting.

Here's what his schedule this year (courtesy of Joe Eitel):
08/28 H Bexley (1-1) [3:10] - won 43-0
09/04 A Jonathan Alder (0-2) [4:16] - won 49-14
09/11 H Westerville Central (1-1) [1:3]
09/18 H Circleville (0-2) [3:12]
09/25 A Fairfield Union (1-1) [4:15]
10/02 H Amanda-Clearcreek (2-0) [4:15]
10/09 A Bloom-Carroll (1-1) [4:15]
10/16 H Hamilton Township (0-2) [2:7]
10/23 A Logan Elm (2-0) [3:12]
10/30 A Teays Valley (0-2) [2:8]

It cracks me up that the jackson scool board didn't want him. he goes to a prenial loser and turns it around. I say GOOD for phil and it serves you right jackson. You get what you deserve.

It cracks me up that the jackson scool board didn't want him. he goes to a prenial loser and turns it around. I say GOOD for phil and it serves you right jackson. You get what you deserve.

Maybe it was because he was 2-12 against Hoover.

Maybe it was because he was 2-12 against Hoover.

Ya got us there amigo...but watch the record of Jackson vs. Hoover for the next couple of years coupled with Mcdaniels o-fer...won't be much different, at least in the mauro years they had a shot at a playoff spot each year and managed some wins over the traditional powers.

Actually knowing the situation as I do and did under Mauro, he did alot with very little, especially when compared to adjoining districts. Expectations are too high and parent/certain boosters interference too prolific at Jackson.

BTW, CW lost a close one this weekend to the only D1 on their schedule, Westrville Central, 17-13. CW led at the half.

PS Coach Mauro was/is a heck of a human being too...he brought more than just wins and losses to the boys he coached.

Last edited:
Ya got us there amigo...but watch the record of Jackson vs. Hoover for the next couple of years coupled with Mcdaniels o-fer...won't be much different, at least in the mauro years they had a shot at a playoff spot each year and managed some wins over the traditional powers.

Actually knowing the situation as I do and did under Mauro, he did alot with very little, especially when compared to adjoining districts. Expectations are too high and parent/certain boosters interference too prolific at Jackson.

BTW, CW lost a close one this weekend to the only D1 on their schedule, Westrville Central, 17-13. CW led at the half.

PS Coach Mauro was/is a heck of a human being too...he brought more than just wins and losses to the boys he coached.

No one said he was not a heck of human being. I agree he was and stiil is as I know him very well. I was just giving you a reason why he was run off. As far as comparing Phil to McDaniels, Phil had 12 or so years and McDaniels/Balderson have had 2 so we will have to wait a few years to make that comparsion. Phil is gone so let's move on and be positive about what we have vs. wishing we still had him.

I'm positive of one thing jackson is a soccer school and the football team is only important so the purple army has somewhere to perform on friday nights....