700 WLW

So if there is any Tracy Jones fans out there, he's a regular on Thom Brennaman's new podcast Off The Bench. Much longer segments than Brennaman & Jones on baseball. It's pretty amusing and Tracy is in rare form.
I likely wont take the time to find that, but, I really enjoyed Tracey in the afternoons on WLW. I still think he or Scott Sloan are much better in that afternoon slot, and McConnell in the 9-12.

I likely wont take the time to find that, but, I really enjoyed Tracey in the afternoons on WLW. I still think he or Scott Sloan are much better in that afternoon slot, and McConnell in the 9-12.
If you just go on YouTube and search Thom Brennaman, I'm sure the podcast will pop up. And you don't have to catch it live from 10a-noon, it's there all the time. Jones is best as a guest and not a host.

So today, Mike's topic was a stretch of road somewhere in the Cincinnati area that has an overabundance of trash. So this made me think, this is an anonymous board mostly, do you throw trash out your car/ truck window? I've never, ever understood why this is a thing? And judging by the amount of trash in some areas, it's not just a few people. Good heavens, keep a small bag in your car and put the trash in the trash can when you get gas if you don't want to take it home.

I'm talking about getting back to regular programming on WLW instead of having the Reds on
I enjoy Lance McCallister's show, but I'll take a Reds game over that anytime,, plus most of the evening talk is about the Bengals now anyway. And whoever has the 9-12 shift....good luck. That's the graveyard of radio.
As bad as the Reds were this season, I'm sure the ratings for Reds baseball well surpasses anything else they put on in the evening.

I enjoy Lance McCallister's show, but I'll take a Reds game over that anytime,, plus most of the evening talk is about the Bengals now anyway. And whoever has the 9-12 shift....good luck. That's the graveyard of radio.
As bad as the Reds were this season, I'm sure the ratings for Reds baseball well surpasses anything else they put on in the evening.
i became a big fan back in the day, listening to Willie years ago....

So something that struck me listening to Mike this morning, there is a local school district that is waving the white financial flag, convenienlty it's a school that's had all kinds of issues with diversity education and some the crap that people want taught in school. I feel for school board members. I've served on a board and when times are good, it's not bad. But when money goes away, look out. And it's truly a group thing. The teachers unions are constantly pushing for more money and better benefits regardless of the financial picture of the district. Many in the district would never vote for a levy for additional funds for the school so you're stuck. Cut programs, cut staff and the kids always lose.

Maybe just stick with teaching the basics and not all this fluff.

There’s the combining schools issue (I like to laugh at that argument) and the incredibly dumb way the state makes schools fund their districts. Until they change that it forces schools to basically live off levies.

And I think it’s pretty common across every job in America that people fight for raises and better benefits no matter the outlook of the finances. And their raises don’t come close to what inflation is.

There really isn't a thread for this so I'll just throw it on here for kicks. It's pretty nice out today, about 65-70 degrees, no rain, it's Friday, you know what that means?? Panhandlers out in full force.

Just driving around today for a few minutes I saw no less than 3 guys - white men, age 40-60 (why is it always those guys) sitting at corners with the custom cardboard sign. I actually saw one guy, by himself with a mask on? Not sure if he was hiding his face or he thought covid was going to swoop down on him.
Anyway, It amazes me that at this time when nearly every business is hiring, we see panhandlers out there? Many employers have stopped doing pre employment drug screens because they can't get anyone to work. Does it really make a person feel good to sit and accept spare change or a bill or two from citizens?? What happened to our personal pride? There are many people who would not accept a handout if you walked up to them and gave them money - it would be considered an insult. And this is from people who don't have much.
I just thought it was funny that it was nice today and they were out. I guess they don't need money on bad weather days???

Probably won't be on Mike's podcast today because it was in the 7:50ish time area, but Mike really went into detail, debunking all the climate change whackos, and this isn't because Mike is for or against anything, he does his research and reads. Basically globally, most scientists have pretty much said that the climate change scare is over. In the early 1900's, over 500,000 people died globally due to "weather" realated reasons - hurricane, storms, heat, cold, etc. Do know that number today? 18,000. No obviously the major reason for this is our evolution of being able to predict the weather, having power and ways to heat and cool ourselves. But still, for people today to have anxiety because they fear the world is going down the dumper is simply not true. Is the earth getting warmer? Absolutley, but at a rate that's not going to affect us for thousands of years.

So today, Mike's topic was a stretch of road somewhere in the Cincinnati area that has an overabundance of trash. So this made me think, this is an anonymous board mostly, do you throw trash out your car/ truck window? I've never, ever understood why this is a thing? And judging by the amount of trash in some areas, it's not just a few people. Good heavens, keep a small bag in your car and put the trash in the trash can when you get gas if you don't want to take it home.
I haven’t thrown thrash out of the car since high school. I stopped when the public service announcements began airing on Tv (making the Big Indian cry) So no I don’t and don’t get why people do.

There really isn't a thread for this so I'll just throw it on here for kicks. It's pretty nice out today, about 65-70 degrees, no rain, it's Friday, you know what that means?? Panhandlers out in full force.

Just driving around today for a few minutes I saw no less than 3 guys - white men, age 40-60 (why is it always those guys) sitting at corners with the custom cardboard sign. I actually saw one guy, by himself with a mask on? Not sure if he was hiding his face or he thought covid was going to swoop down on him.
Anyway, It amazes me that at this time when nearly every business is hiring, we see panhandlers out there? Many employers have stopped doing pre employment drug screens because they can't get anyone to work. Does it really make a person feel good to sit and accept spare change or a bill or two from citizens?? What happened to our personal pride? There are many people who would not accept a handout if you walked up to them and gave them money - it would be considered an insult. And this is from people who don't have much.
I just thought it was funny that it was nice today and they were out. I guess they don't need money on bad weather days???
You’re talking about a group of people who often have extreme mental illness. And apparently you don’t look much in bad weather days because they’re out year round. Like normal, you’re just a bigot

I'm sure there are some legitimate persons who panhandle, but few and far between. My wife will give to them, but I will not, Just last week she gave to a couple who said the needed money to go see their daughter. They were in Centerville at a large shopping center. I chided her for falling for their schtick and giving to such people. She was certain I was wrong on this one, as they were really nice, pleasant people who said "God bless you" after recieving her gift.

The next weekend she went to Huber Heights area, and there they were, the same couple still trying to get gas money to visit their daughter.

Years ago Mike had a guest on that claimed in a study conducted panhandlers at the best locations could easily knock down $50 / hr, making it more easy to swallow your pride and get that sign hoisted high.

You’re talking about a group of people who often have extreme mental illness. And apparently you don’t look much in bad weather days because they’re out year round. Like normal, you’re just a bigot
And we're also talking often about people who feel it's easier to sit and take advantage of people's generosity rather than get out and work for a living. No pride.

I'm sure there are some legitimate persons who panhandle, but few and far between. My wife will give to them, but I will not, Just last week she gave to a couple who said the needed money to go see their daughter. They were in Centerville at a large shopping center. I chided her for falling for their schtick and giving to such people. She was certain I was wrong on this one, as they were really nice, pleasant people who said "God bless you" after recieving her gift.

The next weekend she went to Huber Heights area, and there they were, the same couple still trying to get gas money to visit their daughter.

Years ago Mike had a guest on that claimed in a study conducted panhandlers at the best locations could easily knock down $50 / hr, making it more easy to swallow your pride and get that sign hoisted high.
It has been recommended that if you want to help someone, fill up their gas tank, give them a giftcard for food, but do not give them cash. Cash is too easy to spend on things like alcohol and drugs. When jobs were difficult to find, I could kind of see the panhandling side, but heck nowadays, there are jobs and jobs and jobs and jobs up and down every decent size city street.

Actually heard this on the news today...and for some reason people need a lesson in logics.

So they now say candy prices are way up, 13% reportedly. Reasons include fuel/ transportation costs and labor.

Remember a few years back when all we talked about was a "living wage" and how we had to raise the minimum wage so people could get along. Well, this is the byproduct. I really don't think it's a difficult concept that if you force employers to pay their employees a specific amount - then that's going to in turn raise the cost of them doing business. Many don't seem to ever see that.

And we're also talking often about people who feel it's easier to sit and take advantage of people's generosity rather than get out and work for a living. No pride.
There’s a difference in the people panhandling for quick cash and they’re rather obvious. Then there’s the homeless that are panhandling for survival. And yes, that may include booze and alcohol. Many are Vets or come from some other sort of trauma. Their mental illness/addiction have caused them to cut ties with family and friends. And so they end up there and over time fall deeper into a hole to where they lose the ability to live in the societal norm.

There’s a difference in the people panhandling for quick cash and they’re rather obvious. Then there’s the homeless that are panhandling for survival. And yes, that may include booze and alcohol. Many are Vets or come from some other sort of trauma. Their mental illness/addiction have caused them to cut ties with family and friends. And so they end up there and over time fall deeper into a hole to where they lose the ability to live in the societal norm.
I'll say this, there is not a better time to live in America and be homeless than 2022. There are no shortages of help for all kinds out there, including Vets.
If mental illness/ addiction causes you to cut ties with the only people who could help you, I guess I don't know what else to say. I mean at some point, you have to hold people accountable for their actions. Adding terms Vets, mental illness and addiction doesn't suddenly wipe responsibility away. There are people WITH those same tags that seem to have go along just fine?

Heard something today that's very 2022, "election anxiety". WLW actually took air time and said this is real. Some people get so wound up in the election they can't sleep, have headaches. They've been told to not drink alcohol and to limit their social media time. Another suggestion, stop watching/ listening the mainstream news.
I don't know that we've had a time when people's minds were so weak. We have people who simply cannot cope with anything. Good, bad, illness, death in the family. I don't know how an adult can't be more aware of life.

I would guess that political candidates hire marketing companies, has advisors, etc. Heard a radio ad today driving in for Mike DeWine, done by his wife Frances.

Now I don't profess to know everything, but I think it's a bad idea when the spouse of a candidate does ads for the candidate? Is it just me or does this not seem like a good idea. I can say it doesn't happen often so maybe that's why it caught my attention. And I can NEVER remember a female politician having her spouse do an ad.

Heard something today that's very 2022, "election anxiety". WLW actually took air time and said this is real. Some people get so wound up in the election they can't sleep, have headaches. They've been told to not drink alcohol and to limit their social media time. Another suggestion, stop watching/ listening the mainstream news.
I don't know that we've had a time when people's minds were so weak. We have people who simply cannot cope with anything. Good, bad, illness, death in the family. I don't know how an adult can't be more aware of life.
"Election Anxiety" pfft. What about all the kids who grew up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Under constant threat of nuclear war. Remember the commies could drop the big one at any moment. Duck and Cover. I don't think anyone is suffering today because of the threat.

"Election Anxiety" pfft. What about all the kids who grew up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Under constant threat of nuclear war. Remember the commies could drop the big one at any moment. Duck and Cover. I don't think anyone is suffering today because of the threat.
McConnell was talking about this the other day. I remember getting under my desk at school. Additionally, the nuns told us that terrible secrets of Fatima would be revealed in 1960, which struck fear in our hearts.

I would guess that political candidates hire marketing companies, has advisors, etc. Heard a radio ad today driving in for Mike DeWine, done by his wife Frances.

Now I don't profess to know everything, but I think it's a bad idea when the spouse of a candidate does ads for the candidate? Is it just me or does this not seem like a good idea. I can say it doesn't happen often so maybe that's why it caught my attention. And I can NEVER remember a female politician having her spouse do an ad.
Because Fran became more of a public figure during Covid and comes across as a grandmother figure. A certain population of voter relate to her. Not like people aren’t going to vote for him because of it

Because Fran became more of a public figure during Covid and comes across as a grandmother figure. A certain population of voter relate to her. Not like people aren’t going to vote for him because of it
All I'm saying, and I"m voting for DeWine, but if you're going after the voter on the fence....bad idea. What possible population of voter relates to her?

So weekly, Mike has a guy on named Brad Garrett and they commentate on mostly political issue and such. You could feel Mike's expiration with Garrett as they exchanged this morning when they discussed crime and how to slow crime. I don't know if Garrett is liberal but it seems like many of his ideas are. So in talking about crime, it's the typical song and dance that we need to put money into poor neighborhoods, build rec centers, keep kids off the streets. And we've seen this over and over...we put money into poor neighborhoods and it's nice for about 6 months. They are irresponsible people and do not take care of nice things. There is no pride in those areas. The people there are not there because they want to be, they have no place else to go. And we just continue to put band aids on it, works for a few months or a year and then it's back to what it is.

Guys, it's all about the family structure. You can do alot of things, but statistics show that kids from single parent homes are much more likely to be involved in crime. Until we address the root cause of these things it will continue.