#7 Trotwood-Madison @ #2 Wapakoneta

The Final Say

This is starting to be like a week 11 regular season game that Trotwood never gets to play at home ?. Don't know much about wapak this year other than the fact that they are again one of the best teams in the Region. Trotwood gave away two games late in the season very similar to a year ago. What are the keys to the game?

If Wapak defends Trotwood's passing game, I think they come away with this one by two scores.

I think Wapak will try to eat up the clock with their Wing T offense and win a close one 21-14.

If Wapak defends Trotwood's passing game, I think they come away with this one by two scores.
Wapak is good but They aren’t beating Trotwood by 2 scores in any scenario and it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if wapak didn’t even score 2 touchdowns. Trotwood held a LOADED Springfield team that will make a run in R2 to 21 points and should’ve won that game. If wapak could pass the ball I would give them a little bit of a better chance but they can’t.

Trotwood 41
Wapak 14

Either Trotwood wins in a blowout or Wapak does. Trotwood faced a lot of teams that are D1, but the term D1 is just a title. There are many subpar D1 schools and Trotwood played a few of them. Wapak discovered the secret to beating Trotwood when you don’t have the athletes: hit em in the mouth until they tuck their tails. Other than a busted play right before halftime, Wapak scored 24 unanswered points last year. I think the Trotwood team last year was better than the one this year.

Trotwood is very good but probably doesn’t have 40 kids on the team so majority of the team plays both ways plus special teams. I don’t know much about Wapak but they are in week 11 almost every year for a reason should be a very good game

I actually find it interesting that Trotwood Madison seems a bit under the radar this year. Not many people picking them to win DIII on the State Championship Pick Thread, not many people talking them up in R12. R12 seems very wide open this year with a lot of good teams, but probably not one dominant team. Couple that with the fact TM is still very good and I think it's a nice opportunity for the Rams. Trotwood has 3 losses but when they're against the likes of Winton Woods, Springfield, and Springboro, no shame in those losses.

As far as this game goes, Wapak is familiar with Trotwood. I would expect a competitive game but Trotwood scoring late to win by 2 scores. I'll say:

Trotwood Madison 28
Wapakoneta 14

I don't think Wapak has the offense to win this one. They rely on their defense, completely, and their offense is inconsistent. Wapak's defense held Kenton to 13 points, second fewest all season against Kenton (Coldwater only allowed 7 points vs Kenton), however Wapak's offense could only muster 10 points. So even with that valiant defensive effort, they came up short. Similar, but the opposite, against Ottawa-Glandorf, Wapak only allowed O-G to score 6 points, which was the best defensive performance against O-G all season, Wapak narrowly won 7-6... Wapak's offense literally gives their team no breathing room.

It's hard to put your bets on Wapak knowing the explosivity that Trotwood-Madison brings. Trotwood obviously hasn't been without their own issues this season as they come in at 7-3. Losses to Winton Woods, Springboro, and Springfield - a combined 24-5. All teams Wapak would also probably lose to. It's also a fair critique that some of Trotwood's wins were against not so great D1 teams. Trotwood typically has speed and athleticism that pushes them past Wapak. Even with last year's upset win by Wapak, one could argue Trotwood mistakes cost them the game more than Wapak won it. There was some questionable coaching and momentum just swung in Wapak's favor with turnovers. Overall, I think I have to go with the recent history here and pick the Rams. However, rooting for the WBL.

TM - 28
W - 10

Either Trotwood wins in a blowout or Wapak does. Trotwood faced a lot of teams that are D1, but the term D1 is just a title. There are many subpar D1 schools and Trotwood played a few of them. Wapak discovered the secret to beating Trotwood when you don’t have the athletes: hit em in the mouth until they tuck their tails. Other than a busted play right before halftime, Wapak scored 24 unanswered points last year. I think the Trotwood team last year was better than the one this year.
The Rams were not "busted in the mouth" last year. The coaching lost that game, period. That is some big stuff to talk, especially about group of kids that has a rep of a team that never "tucks their tails". You talking about the wrong group of kids. Anyway, depth has killed the Rams this year especially in those last two games. Playing with about 40 kids this year is rough when you run up vs. Springboro or Springfield with double the number of players. But with that being said Twood was up on both of those teams and lost close at the end. Lack of depth has hurt as the effects of the tornado kept some of those marginal kids from coming out due to trying to help families bounce back. But the 40 or so they have are good and are getting healthy at the right time plus payback is always fun. Plus the D-1 schedule has left them battle tested. say what you one but Lebanon,Fairmont and Northmont would give Wapak the blues. Rams beat all three of those teams plus Wayne. Battle tested Rams 35- Wapak 10.

The Rams were not "busted in the mouth" last year. The coaching lost that game, period. That is some big stuff to talk, especially about group of kids that has a rep of a team that never "tucks their tails". You talking about the wrong group of kids. Anyway, depth has killed the Rams this year especially in those last two games. Playing with about 40 kids this year is rough when you run up vs. Springboro or Springfield with double the number of players. But with that being said Twood was up on both of those teams and lost close at the end. Lack of depth has hurt as the effects of the tornado kept some of those marginal kids from coming out due to trying to help families bounce back. But the 40 or so they have are good and are getting healthy at the right time plus payback is always fun. Plus the D-1 schedule has left them battle tested. say what you one but Lebanon,Fairmont and Northmont would give Wapak the blues. Rams beat all three of those teams plus Wayne. Battle tested Rams 35- Wapak 10.

Coaching is what causes 3 fumbles and the defense giving up 24 points to an average Wapak offense? Just because they played Hughley instead of Stewart doesn’t mean they lost the game. Trotwood scored on their first drive after the refs missed two blatant holding calls on Wapak’s all ohio DE, go back and watch the film. They scored on a Devontae Latimer 92 yard TD run, who was a better back than all of their backs this year. They scored on a tipped ball thrown into double coverage right before halftime. Trotwood didn’t line up and smack Wapak around. I can see Trotwood beating Wapak, but Wapak isn’t just some scrubs like you are implying.

The fact of the matter is, Trotwood has to stay motivated. The Rams problem all year has been uninspired play. The only team Trotwood played this year that was clearly better than them was Winton Woods. Springboro won because of turnovers, Springfield made about 3 big plays that made a difference in the game. Trotwood could easily be 9-1 but it is what it is. To me, this game is all about what Trotwood team shows up. Wapak is a good team, but we know what Wapak is going to do. We know they'll be motivated at home with a fired-up crowd. We know they'll run the ball hard. We know what to expect.

The Rams CANNOT relax in this game. That's been the m.o. of this team the past 2 years. The losses to Xenia and Wapak last year...the losses to Springboro and Springfield this year, plus games that were much closer than they SHOULD have been(Lebanon, Miamisburg)...the Rams need to prove something to themselves tomorrow. Do more than just show up and expect things to happen tomorrow, Trotwood- MAKE them happen.

If Trotwood STAYS motivated, this game is a blowout. If Trotwood takes their foot off the gas? It'll be interesting.

I did not imply that they were scrubs. No where was that stated in my post. I have a lot of respect for the program and what they have done over the years. I responded to your "tuck their tails statement" and the fact that you also claimed Trotwood was "busted in the mouth", which is not the case. I did not speak to bad calls as you did either. I felt Trotwood was out coached last year and that is why they lost. I believe the Rams are more battle tested and will win this game 35-10. Good luck Wapak homer. As I am a Twood homer. You will need it.

Is this the year that Wapak wins?

I wouldn’t ask if this the year Wapak wins, but is this the year that Wapak proves it can compete with the big boys. Last year could be called a fluke because Trotwood did not play their best game and it seemed a lot of things went Wapak’s way. If Wapak can beat Trotwood again, I would say last year wasn’t a fluke.

I would not be surprised if this game was low scoring. Wapak has a tough defense and one of the bet in the WBL. If Trotwood has a handful of players playing both sides of the ball then that could factor in. This is a hard one to pick so I'm going with the WBL Home Team.

Go Wapak!

Like hasn’t played the whole season or just now quit? Because he’s been playing the whole season

The rumor is that “Trotwood’s best receiver” just quit and that he planned all along on playing just the regular season. I have no idea if this is true, maybe a Trotwood fan has some insight?

Alot of talk about Trotwood players playing both ways but Wapak has alot of kids going both ways to.

Granted, I have watched a lot more TW basketball than football, but I have never seen a TW team back down. Not backing down is in the water up there. Rams 42-0.

About 4 hours to game time GOOD LUCK Redskins you have a hard road ahead of you tonight but a whole community behind you. Are we to bring our cow bells tonight?

I feel tucking their tails was a really bad statement to use... I meant to say that Trotwood has been so dominant that almost every game they go into the other team is already intimidated before the game even starts. That’s how most Wapak teams have been and how most teams that don’t have the athletes to match Trotwood feel. However, last year Wapak did not play intimidated and wanted every part of that game. To beat Trotwood, you have to be more aggressive than them, which is a tall task to do because year in and year out they are the most aggressive team in the state.

It was a better first half than I expected. Wapak defense kept Trotwood bottled up in the 1Q. Wapak, surprisingly, scored on a 14-yard TD pass. Trotwood has had a few penalties. As has Wapak. Wapak had a 3rd & 1 in Trotwood territory in the 2Q, and got a penalty for a delay of game which resulted in the end of their drive and a punt. Tough mental mistake. On the plus side, Wapak downed the punt inside the Trotwood 5. However, Trotwood drove the length of the field and evened the score at 7-7. The Trotwood kicker originally missed the PAT, but a roughing the kicker penalty allowed a re-kick and Trotwood got it that time.

Strong 1Q for Wapak, lost focus in 2Q. Trotwood slow start in 1Q, woke up in 2Q. Looking forward to the second half.

Last edited: