7-man officiating crews for the playoffs?

Pantherontheporch

A question for any officials who may be out there. When Elder played in the Herbie, I noticed the crew was a 7-man crew, which I thought was a good thing. Once the playoffs begin, a large number of officials are out of work for the season. Given the importance of the playoffs and the inevitable officiating controversies that occur every year, would it make sense for the OHSAA to go to 7-man officiating crews for the playoffs? I know cost would be a factor, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor. Wouldn't the downfield calls actually be easier to make? Wouldn't more penalties that are missed be caught, which to me would be a good thing? Or would it be too hard for crews that have consisted of five all year to adjust to having seven and would cause them to mess up their mechanics?

One of the Herbie requirements was that 7 man crews be used.

Regarding 7 man crews in Ohio, like it or not, it will never happen because of the cost involved. It's just fact.........

Switching from 5 man to 7 man in my opinion is not that difficult, however, we're not talking about taking an existing 5 man crew and adding two more, were talking about taking 7 men (or women) that for the most part have never even met each other and asking them to employ officiating mechanics that for the most part, they have never utilized.

That's a recipe for disaster.

For those that officiate football, correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference b/n 5-man and 7-man is that you have one extra official on each side of the field. That presumably has most effect in the passing game with respect to downfield responsibilities (and enables there to be an official on each side at the LOS, and one down field).

For those that officiate football, correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference b/n 5-man and 7-man is that you have one extra official on each side of the field. That presumably has most effect in the passing game with respect to downfield responsibilities (and enables there to be an official on each side at the LOS, and one down field).

Correct, instead of only a Back Judge, Linesman, and a Line Judge, you add a Field Judge and a Side Judge to more effectively cover the eligible receivers.

Six man crews are not the way to go as you leave a significant hole in the middle of the field.

McK V Massillon

Every year that I can remember in the McK V. Massillon game there have been 7 officials. I have never thought there was better officiating in that game than in any of the regular season games I see every year. If adding 2 is better then how about adding 4 or 6 to make it even better. Imagine how long the "conferences" would take if you had to explain the rules to 9 or 11 referees during the games.

You are more than welcome to take one of the many classes offered around the state.

We'd love to have you join us !!

I retire in 6 years, if you still need people I would be happy to help out. Right now I work afternoons and don't have the time to be of any help, unless I happen to end up on day shift. I realize that being an official is a thankless job and you can't please everyone. It's not even favoritism,but when the calls are bad or missed on both sides of the ball there is a problem. Either they have lost a lot of the more experienced people (retirement, moved,etc.) and there are a lot of new people out there, or the training they receive is not adequate. I understand it is also a lot easier to see from the stands than on the field with 22 kids running around and if you want to nitpick there is usually someone holding every other play. 7 refs may not be cost effective all year, and they may not even have the manpower to do it, but I would think in the playoffs extra eyes would be a good thing.