5th Pick

Kind of excited that the Pelicans got the top pick. It will be an interesting offseason.

Glancing at a few draft boards and considering who's now coaching the Cavs, I'd bank on their pick ending up as either Hunter (UVA) or Culver (Texas Tech).

This will be the new norm in the draft lottery with the odds being evened off. There's not much of an advantage or incentive to tank it anymore unless a draft class is very deep at the top.

Well crud. Can you imagine the conspiracy theory outcry if LA and NY ended up 1-2. I guess now the Cavs can pick the 3rd best Blue Devil.

Rachel Nichols was so in love with Zion that I thought I was going to puke.

Cavs fell so far in the lottery Beilein can pick one of his former players at #5 and it won't seem too out of sorts lmao

I'm not a big Cam Reddish fan. Great physical profile, but for being on a team where the opposing defense was always heavily focused on two other guys, he shot the ball pretty poorly this year and showed some concerning flaws in his offensive game. Very streaky shooter with range, and shot a historically low % on 2 pt shots for guys that are supposedly top-5 pick caliber. Concerningly, IMO, that would seem to indicate that can't get to the rim or finish, i.e. lack of ball skill and/or athletic explosiveness.

I am leaning toward the Cavs taking the two Cavaliers ... Hunter & Jerome

neither will be superstars ... both know how to play and will be solid pros ... they do the things that help teams win.

Hard to fathom that the 5th pick would get you the 3rd best player on his college team.

It's a function of one-and-done, really. Do you gamble on a 19 yr old's potential ceiling, or go for a 21 yr old , solid, 3 year starter like De'andre Hunter that is closer to his max already ? You are over-simplifying.

CBS said Hunter in the mock I saw.

Does a player development guy like Beilein change that ?

Player development and culture makes all the difference in the world. The Bucks have key players that were 3-4 year college guys that were drafted in the second round that were supposedly "low ceiling" players. Khris Middleton and Malcolm Brogdon are key cogs in their machine at this point.

With their recent coaching hire, it's evident to me that the Cavs want to go in the direction of teams like the Bucks and the Nets that are development and culture heavy. Potential ceiling doesn't matter as much as having the intangibles and fit to hit their individual ceiling.

Player development and culture makes all the difference in the world. The Bucks have key players that were 3-4 year college guys that were drafted in the second round that were supposedly "low ceiling" players. Khris Middleton and Malcolm Brogdon are key cogs in their machine at this point.

With their recent coaching hire, it's evident to me that the Cavs want to go in the direction of teams like the Bucks and the Nets that are development and culture heavy. Potential ceiling doesn't matter as much as having the intangibles and fit to hit their individual ceiling.

I agree, and I hope that is the direction the Cavs intend to go. It's really the best hope for a small market team, outside of hitting the lottery multiple times (happened for us) or having the second best player of all time be born in your part of the country (also happened for us) ... now we build the slow, methodical, but hopefully everlasting, way

I agree, and I hope that is the direction the Cavs intend to go. It's really the best hope for a small market team, outside of hitting the lottery multiple times (happened for us) or having the second best player of all time be born in your part of the country (also happened for us) ... now we build the slow, methodical, but hopefully everlasting, way

This is exactly right ... I would prefer they model themselves after Portland, Milwaukee, Indiana than Philadelphia & Phoenix

I would be fine with Hunter and Jerome....at 5 a couple other names to watch are Reddish as mentioned up above. He underachieved but NBA is about potential. A kid I like is Coby White....6-5 guard from North Carolina....really coming on and has good size and speed for NBA guard. I think he may be a future star. Could play along Sexton as both are more combo guards than true point guards. That would be a super fast backcourt.

They need a lot more help than these two picks,the new guy will get his type of player after he get his feet wet in the NBA life.

The 5th/26th and a few experienced FAS and the CAVS can have a HUGE turnaround with this new coach.

I am not sure what type of value can come at 26.That is almost the spot to draft an European guy that you can stash and develop overseas for a couple of years. I would like to see them move up to 3 and grab Barrett.

Number 26 could be better than the tail end of this roster,has to make it on the team.

Need to somehow use the 26 pick to move up into the 10 to 15 range and get a second player that can potentially help like Rui Hachimura or take a chance on a guy like Bol Bol.