25 - 0 Score

Topcat1

Just saw the news that Boardman beat Warren Harding 25 - 0 in tournament play a day or so ago. Does anyone have the inside story on why it was so lopsided? I'd have thought Boardman would have toned down their scoring efforts after having quickly built a big multiple goal lead.

Just saw the news that Boardman beat Warren Harding 25 - 0 in tournament play a day or so ago. Does anyone have the inside story on why it was so lopsided? I'd have thought Boardman would have toned down their scoring efforts after having quickly built a big multiple goal lead.
CORRECTION: Boardman's opponent in their lopsided 25 - 0 win was Canton McKinley, not Harding.

I noted that on the OHSAA playoff thread as well. I don't know exactly how it went down, but that's ridiculous. I've seen a lot of 10+ goal wins in the first round, but this is on a whole other level. I hope they get drilled by 10 goals in their second round game.

Perfect reason to either have a mercy rule. If you don’t like a mercy rule have a different tournament for teams under .500 that they can opt into. (Like Presidents Cup). Would make both tournaments a lot better

Story

Seems the Boardman coach was teaching Canton a lesson because all the coaches from that town conspired to vote him a lower seed than he thought he deserved.

Coach claims their team should be seeded #3, but previously lost to the #4 seed in the same district, 0-4? Coach is delusional - and a douchebag, to boot.

13 different scorers from what I heard, so an intentional beat down I'm not sure????? It was Canton's job to stop them from scoring not Boardmans job to stop playing the game.

Boardman as of the data submission process was 6-5-1. They won a game on 10/3 to go to 7-5-1, that game on 10/3 was during the time coaches had to vote but after the submission deadline.

In the group itself, Boardman is joined by Youngstown area teams in Fitch and WGH.
McKinley, Glen Oak, Hoover, Massillon Jackson, Massillon Perry, and Uniontown Lake are all in the Federal League.
Massillon is a Stark County team
Alliance is in Stark County but kind of in between Canton and Youngstown

In the season prior to the submission deadline, Boardman beat six seed Uniontown Lake, losing to four seed Austintown Fitch and ninth seed Warren Harding. They beat Fitch on 10/3, but coaches may have voted before that result would have been seen, and beat WGH on 10/8.

If one looks at the matrix, Boardman voted themselves fourth, Lake voted them fifth, seven of the other coaches put them sixth or seventh; McKinley had them eighth and WGH had them ninth.

I don't see what point the coach and/or team was trying to prove by that scoreline (double digits is excessive enough). This is the type of stuff that gets people angry, and leads to over-regulation of stuff.

I am going out on a limb here but I am guessing the losing team were able to move on with their lives just fine the next day. Always a few of these every year (yes, this was really bad) and there is usually a thread about how unsportsmanlike it was but I am pretty sure the kids are doing ok. Seems the adults are the ones that can't seem to let it go.

What hasn't been brought up (and this is by no means a defense of the score), is that I've often seen these things happen where the winning team empties the bench, has a 9-0 lead, and then plays "keep away" for the the better part of 20-30 minutes. I've also seen teams start to pull players off the field and play man/men down. These too are very embarrassing for an opposing team. I don't have the answer (maybe a mercy rule), but these results don't feel good for anyone involved. Maybe the other coach didn't want sympathy? I don't know the details...it just isn't a great situation to be in.

I was on the losing side of the Penn State vs UC 81-0 game Football game. Not one person on our team felt it was PSU's job to stop scoring. It sucked but it was on us.

Makes you kind of wonder if there was a postgame handshake between the two coaches, and what was said.

I understand it was McKinley’s responsibility to stop them, but 25-0? Sorry, but that’s just not right.

Makes you kind of wonder if there was a postgame handshake between the two coaches, and what was said.

I understand it was McKinley’s responsibility to stop them, but 25-0? Sorry, but that’s just not right.
I am sure McKinley will be just fine.

All the "suggestions" I read from other coaches about how they would handle a mismatch seem more offensive than just giving an honest effort and living with the results.

My HS would would have handled a little different. We would subbed in a kid named Dixon....removing his Sony Walkman blarring Metallica and let him go full Hanson Brothers....his quote was you can run up the score and humiliate us but your nose will be sideways on the bus ride home.

Over seeded because they lost 4-2 to the 2-seed?

I think the coach’s point was they should’ve at least been been playing in #4-5 game vs #4 Fitch. To be placed behind Lake, who they beat 2-0 made no sense. And Fitch and Boardman split and either could’ve been 4 or 5. If that happens 1) Boardman stays local either home or Fitch vs 1 hour road trip, 2) 50/50 whether they advance vs a tougher matchup at Hoover.

Winning 25-0 was bad, but the seeding was also bad too. And it happens quite often to the Youngstown area teams when in Canton district (not only soccer). Take the voting seriously and review teams’ results or don’t vote. McK doesn’t take their soccer program seriously or voting seriously, but everyone wants to point the blame at Boardman and their coach.

SteelValley: Boardman did lose to the NINE seed in the period of the season prior to the entry comment deadline. Keep that in mind. The coaches have to vote, they get fined if they do not. I don't care if you want to prove a point to the opposing coach, but 25-0 goes way above and beyond that.

Over seeded because they lost 4-2 to the 2-seed?

I think the coach’s point was they should’ve at least been been playing in #4-5 game vs #4 Fitch. To be placed behind Lake, who they beat 2-0 made no sense. And Fitch and Boardman split and either could’ve been 4 or 5. If that happens 1) Boardman stays local either home or Fitch vs 1 hour road trip, 2) 50/50 whether they advance vs a tougher matchup at Hoover.

Winning 25-0 was bad, but the seeding was also bad too. And it happens quite often to the Youngstown area teams when in Canton district (not only soccer). Take the voting seriously and review teams’ results or don’t vote. McK doesn’t take their soccer program seriously or voting seriously, but everyone wants to point the blame at Boardman and their coach.

This coach is an embarrassment to his school and the sport.

SteelValley: Boardman did lose to the NINE seed in the period of the season prior to the entry comment deadline. Keep that in mind. The coaches have to vote, they get fined if they do not. I don't care if you want to prove a point to the opposing coach, but 25-0 goes way above and beyond that.
Per the coach - his backups played 70% of minutes. Also I heard McKinley team showed up right before kick. They basically had no interest in playing the game and from what I was told were literally not trying at all. I agree 25-0 went too far and Boardman’s coach could’ve just told his guys don’t shoot at all if it was obvious the opponent wasn’t trying.

But the McK coaches mailed it in before the game even started and that should be pointed out.

Also where’s the animosity towards Fitch and their 21-0 win over Timken? Or is 21 the cutoff for being respectful?

Perfect reason to either have a mercy rule. If you don’t like a mercy rule have a different tournament for teams under .500 that they can opt into. (Like Presidents Cup). Would make both tournaments a lot better

Please, please NO. An open tournament is a much better format. The Divisions 1/2/3 are designed to address the advantage a larger school has over a smaller school.

Please, please NO. An open tournament is a much better format. The Divisions 1/2/3 are designed to address the advantage a larger school has over a smaller school.
To be clear, I am not advocating for running up the score. You have to set the politics aside when the game starts. Kids don't have anything to do with voting on seeds and should not be the target of a reprisal, or someone "making a statement".

Per the coach - his backups played 70% of minutes. Also I heard McKinley team showed up right before kick. They basically had no interest in playing the game and from what I was told were literally not trying at all. I agree 25-0 went too far and Boardman’s coach could’ve just told his guys don’t shoot at all if it was obvious the opponent wasn’t trying.

But the McK coaches mailed it in before the game even started and that should be pointed out.

Also where’s the animosity towards Fitch and their 21-0 win over Timken? Or is 21 the cutoff for being respectful?

I don’t know what the cutoff is, but 21-0 isn’t good either. What’s with Youngstown area soccer teams?