2122 St. Ignatius

Wildcats are now ranked #2 nationally in the United Soccer Coaches high school rankings.
The Cats defeated Western Reserve Academy 3-1 yesterday

On Saturday at noon, the Wildcats host Calvert Hall (Towson MD), ranked #4 nationally
That will be a great matchup! Ben Bender is a Calvert Hall alum ... he seems to be doing okay.

Ignatius 6
Wooster 0
Wildcats led 5-0 at half and Nolan Spicer had a hat trick in that half

Next match (regional finals) - Saturday 3 pm vs. Sylvania Southview (15-3-1) - at Sandusky HS

Ignatius wins its district 4-0 over Shaker. Interesting comment from the broadcasters that the Cats lose 16 or 17 seniors this year.
And there are 12 juniors and sophomores on the varsity roster that will be returning.
Still, next season's squad will have less experience than what typically returns.

JV-A was 12-1 (with a 2-1 loss to Mason) and JV-B was 10-0-3 (with 1-1 ties vs. Avon Lake, Avon and St. Edward)

JV-A's roster: 19 sophomores and 5 freshmen
JV-B's roster: all freshmen
Lot of depth in the program

On an extremely windy day in Sandusky, Ignatius leads Sylvania Southview 2-1. Southview's goal, the first given up by the Cats this playoff, came off a corner kick, the Cats' weakness, IMO, over the years. In other news the Cats Spicer was named the national player of the year by some authority, didn't hear whom.

Cats prevail 5-1 behind Spicer's hat trick. Wind was definitely a factor in both teams' play, but the Cats were definitely the superior team.

A Medina match has usually proved problematic for the Cats. But after what I saw Spicer do on Saturday makes me confident of victory for the Cats. He spent the first half being fouled but with no ref's whistle. The second half he was amazing. His second goal would make the hi-light reel for any show on soccer.

Ignatius 1
Medina 0
Final

Wildcats play New Albany for the state championship in Columbus on Sat. afternoon
The Eagles are 16-1-3

Ignatius defeated New Albany in the 2020 state championship.
The teams played a scrimmage in New Albany in August. Thought I heard the SIBN announcer say it was Ignatius 4-2, but I'm not certain

In a downpour in Columbus the state title game versus New Albany has begun. Nothing as frustrating as listening on the audio stream to a soccer game.

Foul plagued first half end at 0-0. Cats seemed to dominate, but couldn't put the ball in the net. Wouldn't be surprised if the game came down to PKs.