2024 D2 Early Outlook

Business as usual at Hoban. You can bring in all the talent you want, but if they don't play together well., you get the last three finals result.
I saw dissension and egos hinder them last November. Back on topic,
I look for Avon to break through next season. My Tigers will be regional/ final 4ish.
If Avon is in the state title game I’m very confident the opponent will be your Tigers. But Avon has to scale Mount Hoban first.

D2 is loaded once again. It’s gonna be a heckuva postseason.
It's been a great Final Four for a while now, but I would like to see more depth in each region. I'm not saying anyone has a free ride into the Final Four, but it's been hard for anyone to emerge in R5 to push Hoban, or anyone in R7 to push Massillon and Toledo CC goes in and out of R6 with Avon. I'm most familiar with R6 and Avon Lake, Olmsted Falls, Highland and Anthony Wayne are all very good programs, but they have had little success in keeping Avon or Toledo CC from advancing out of R6. We see the similar dynamic in other regions in D2, as well.

I will do my revised Top 5 today, and then do another one right before the season begins. By that time I'll be comfortable doing a Top 10.

1. Avon -- Loaded and on a mission for their first championship.
2. Massillon -- Loaded and could easily be #1, but only one team can.
3. Hoban -- Ditto.
4. Anderson -- Picked up a lot of confidence from last year's run.
5. Walsh Jesuit -- Still working their way up to toppling Hoban.

Well, I took the bullseye off of Massillon in this ranking, but the bullseye never really comes off of the Tigers backs. Much like last season, I see the top three as a cut above the rest, but others will emerge this season. They always do.
IMO, the top 3 are interchangeable. Just like 2023 - IMO, Massillon was the best team in the state last year (including D1, obviously), but on any given night, Hoban and Avon could have knocked them off. I expect more of the same in 2024 - going to be a great year.

IMO, the top 3 are interchangeable. Just like 2023 - IMO, Massillon was the best team in the state last year (including D1, obviously), but on any given night, Hoban and Avon could have knocked them off. I expect more of the same in 2024 - going to be a great year.
I had Massillon at #1 in my first ranking, now I have Avon at #1 and my next one might have Hoban #1, due to what you pointed out about their interchangeability.

A great 2023 season in D2 ended with the Massillon Tigers topping the Hoban Knights for the championship.

2024 is here and D2 is likely to be another fun ride again, especially if Toledo Central Catholic returns to the division. For now the Irish are D3. Open for discussion in the thread, of course, but I’ll leave them out of the initial rankings for now.

Once again, I see a big three…a notch above the rest.

1. Massillon - defending champs until beaten

2. Hoban - will be formidable as always

3. Avon - loaded with returning talent

Who fills out the rest of the top ten? Will anyone break up the top three?
Wadsworth, for sure.

The Suburban National league will be good in general the champ of that league and Walsh will probably have the best shot at giving Hoban some resistance in region 5

We have some good words about Wadsworth. Who else in D2 is poised for a big year? R8 has become more wide open that we are used to it being. Any news from SWO? Can anyone give Massillon a game in R7?

Well that could be interesting. Is there anybody else besides Avon in the SWC to look out for?
Always Olmsted Falls and Avon Lake, but North Ridgeville is pretty loaded and might just be Avon’s toughest challenger, though I would put my money on Falls.

We have some good words about Wadsworth. Who else in D2 is poised for a big year? R8 has become more wide open that we are used to it being. Any news from SWO? Can anyone give Massillon a game in R7?
Probably wide open again. Edge Anderson due to winning it last year. Lasalle should challenge. Miamisburg drops fron D1 but don't think they have the horses yet. Kings was young last year and should be improved. 2 interesting additions are Trotwood and Badin moving up from D3.

Last edited:
Ryan Day's son is the QB at Colombus DeSales, and they went 5-5 with a tough schedule last year upsetting D3 runner-up Bishop Watterson. The Stallions could be the most likely team to meet Massillon in the Regional Final. Big Walnut has had a great run the last three years, but their star RB Severs was a senior, so they might fall off a bit. Last year's #2 seed Canal Winchester had a terrific defense in 2023, but I believe their two main stars on that side of the ball were both seniors, and they really didn't have much of an offense. Region 7 is probably the weakest it's ever been with no Olentangy schools, no Dover, no Lake, Green or Hoover. The only Federal League school remaining is Perry, and they've finished last in the conference for three straight years.

One team that rejoins R7 is New Albany, and the Eagles could conceivably make a run. They were 4-6 last year, but played close games against Pickerington North, and Gahanna Lincoln. They also have a very impressive recent history. In 2022, New Albany made it to the Region 3 final, and they posted an undefeated regular season in 2021. They were in Region 7 in 2016 and 2017, and made it to the Regional Final both years.

The only thing electric will be Massillon blowing out the lights on the scoreboard.
I respect Perry’s athletic program, and they’ve had some great accomplishments over the years, but I must admit your comment made me laugh out loud for real.