2023 State Duals

WGTJ

FB_IMG_1649811699188.jpg

FB_IMG_1649811693204.jpg

FB_IMG_1649811687085.jpg

Yellow are the top 8 in each district and will compete in the preliminary round on Feb 4. Two teams from each of those top 8 move on to the finals on Feb 11.

The ones in red are the ones that did not make the cut. However, some teams could decide not to compete (LaSalle didn't compete this year for example) and then the teams in red would move up accordingly.

I pulled this from their Facebook post and it is a preliminary list that could change as well if there is something incorrect in their numbers.

Facebook post:

Coaches next year's State duals will take place Feb. 4th (regional level) and Feb. 11th (top 8 )

The charts below reflect the top 8 qualifying teams per district based on the following underclassman formula.
10pts for a State Qualifier
8 pts for a District Placer 5th or 6th
6pts for a District Qualifier who wins a match
2 pts for a District Qualifier who goes 0-2

The full spreadsheet of each district will be emailed to all head coaches later today. Please contact us with any errors.

It looks like the change for this year is that the seeding will take place right before the start of the prospective season instead of being based fully on the formula points of the retrospective post-season. That seems to be a positive step.

I must be reading this wrong. I have not done the math but Elyria is in a stand by position? Behind Iggy, North Olmsted and Whitmer?

I don't think Team States will be run this way. There is an alternative proposal circulating that appears to have huge interest from the Coaches, and I believe it'll be implemented for this coming season.

I don't think Team States will be run this way. There is an alternative proposal circulating that appears to have huge interest from the Coaches, and I believe it'll be implemented for this coming season.
If they are going to run it a different way, why did the coaches association release this information now? Perhaps the new proposal, if it is accepted, will take a year to implement.

It looks like the change for this year is that the seeding will take place right before the start of the prospective season instead of being based fully on the formula points of the retrospective post-season. That seems to be a positive step.

I read that too...but nothing on the seeding criteria. Any thoughts on that?

If they are going to run it a different way, why did the coaches association release this information now? Perhaps the new proposal, if it is accepted, will take a year to implement.
I'm likely operating/thinking on outdated information. I just really despise the whole underclassman formula method based upon previous year's results. I would really love to see other teams attempt this methodology (like football) based on how many All-Conference players are coming back, and completely dismiss the current season record. Just stupid! Just let the Coaches vote for seeding, and then this proposal could be a bit more palatable to me. But, I'm just one lonely voice of reason ...

I'm likely operating/thinking on outdated information. I just really despise the whole underclassman formula method based upon previous year's results. I would really love to see other teams attempt this methodology (like football) based on how many All-Conference players are coming back, and completely dismiss the current season record. Just stupid! Just let the Coaches vote for seeding, and then this proposal could be a bit more palatable to me. But, I'm just one lonely voice of reason ...
I like the qualifying the top 8 based on previous year. I think seeding should be done by those 8 coaches to determine seeds.
The problem with using coaches or any individual to to determine the 8 teams that should be involved, is there is no one that knows all of the team equally. Some teams wrestle completely different schedules than others. Using a set formula to get the 8 participants seems like the only "fair" way to pick 8.
I can tell you, if we got to pick the top 8, many different people would have many different choices.
Just my thoughts.

In the past they competed in the division they were in the previous year.
I suspect that would not go over very well, especially if you could potentially have a perennial D2 school (or a few of them), that is/are now D1, but is/are forced to compete in D2 duals.

I like the qualifying the top 8 based on previous year. I think seeding should be done by those 8 coaches to determine seeds.
The problem with using coaches or any individual to to determine the 8 teams that should be involved, is there is no one that knows all of the team equally. Some teams wrestle completely different schedules than others. Using a set formula to get the 8 participants seems like the only "fair" way to pick 8.
I can tell you, if we got to pick the top 8, many different people would have many different choices.
Just my thoughts.
I don't disagree that seeding introduces a variable that doesn't exist with the other way, but at least the Coaches would have current data at their disposal. I mean, injuries, grades and other stuff decimates teams each year, so why would we not consider all of that? Plus, and just as an example, a team that has 6 District placers returning but can't fill 3-5 holes in a 14-person line-up doesn't exactly add up to a quality dual team.

I suspect that would not go over very well, especially if you could potentially have a perennial D2 school (or a few of them), that is/are now D1, but is/are forced to compete in D2 duals.
It has gone over fine in years past.
Who would it not go over well with?
It is not like they are choosing it, it is just how the numbers work on a 2 year cycle. Year 2 they would be in the new division.

It has gone over fine in years past.
Who would it not go over well with?
It is not like they are choosing it, it is just how the numbers work on a 2 year cycle. Year 2 they would be in the new division.
It'll all be fine in the end, just trying to think of ways to potentially improve upon it.

What about those teams that will be switching divisions and those that will be switching to new district sites this coming year?

The first part was asked on the Facebook post and the reply from the coaches association said that it would not change. No idea about switching district site, but I'm guessing that will not affect this either. I think the only things that will affect it is if the numbers are wrong on the preliminary seeding and then whatever they plan to do before the season starts.

Plus, and just as an example, a team that has 6 District placers returning but can't fill 3-5 holes in a 14-person line-up doesn't exactly add up to a quality dual team.
Saying Legacy Christain without saying Legacy Christian. Btw it is a good example of a great tournament team but not a great dual team.

Ok, ok. I will volunteer my services to place 16 teams on a dual-meet bracket.
I will only do one division. The other two divisions will be done by two other people.
Teams will send me their team’s info …
Roster line-up with each wrestler’s grade, weight, records, tournament placements, last yr’s record and accomplishments, etc.
List any backups with their weight.
Team tournament results.
Duals results.
Put whatever info you can fit on one page.
I will need all team info by Dec 31, and bracket will be posted by Jan 7.
Teams that feel that they are a top-16 dual meet team should send me their info.
I’m guessing I would receive 40-50 serious entries.

Really ? Tough? 0 placers? How many state qualifers?1 How tough can they be? Maybe Carrollton.

Only 1 qualifier I believe, who will be back plus quite a few kids who won matches at districts and should have a decent shot next year. Not my school, but I do think IV should be pretty good if they retain all of their kids. Carrollton should be tough as well. I believe both teams are only graduating 1 district qualifier each. That could be wrong...