2023 St. Ignatius Football

Hoban academics have degraded as compared to other parochial schools. That did coincide with their rise in football. I dont know know if coincidence or not and I don't know about the players, but I would never want to be Hoban as a school compared to the school I graduated from

Hoban academics have degraded as compared to other parochial schools. That did coincide with their rise in football. I dont know know if coincidence or not and I don't know about the players, but I would never want to be Hoban as a school compared to the school I graduated from
Making baseless accusations like this is a garbage take. How do you know they have degraded as a school ? Show some facts instead of just throwing claims out there because your school has fallen behind the pack. It’s not inconceivable that these kids are In fact students first and take every opportunity and benefit of being at a private school.

From cleveland.com:

Ryan Franzinger’s new football staff at St. Ignatius will have a big, familiar name coaching its offensive line.

LeCharles Bentley is returning to his alma mater as director of football development and offensive line coach for the Wildcats, who are beginning their first year with Franzinger as head coach following the retirement of Chuck Kyle. The school announced the hiring of Bentley on Saturday in a press release.

“I view this as a chance to help prepare young men for life,” Bentley said in the release. “Preparing these young men to play the game of football will be the least challenging aspect of the role. This is about using football to prepare these young men to honor the school’s mission — being a man for others and working toward the greater glory and honor of God.”

Last edited:
Reactions: PDC
What does Director of Football Development mean? Working with the coaches on player safety is good but it sounds like he has a lot of endeavors going on and how much time will he actually be at Ignatius? I just wonder exactly what goes into the role and how it will fit into a strategic vision. I have not met him but he seems well respected, smart and a believer in St. Ignatius when I have talked about him with anyone. I think someone said it earlier but the school sells the school and Bentley seems to be a guy who is fully invested in what that school is and believes that that's not a barrier to having a great football program. (Of course it isn't since a school down the street has proved it the past decade ;)) It will take a couple of years because Ed's is loaded still, but I agree that the rivalry will be back to being competitive on the football field. Maybe having someone like Bentley as a touchpoint they believe will open doors that they have struggled making connections with in the past? I applaud having him involved though. He, Franzinger, etc I think are good bridges to the "glory days" but also feel the pulse of what it takes now to win in football.

It is a big hire for the Wildcats. My first thought, like hinted at above, was will Bentley commit his time to the Wildcats? He wears a lot of hats. His O Line Academy was in Avon, but I thought it was in Arizona now.

If the Cats get back to winning titles (and I have no reason to believe that can't happen) he'll probably play a big role in that. If they don't though, I'd bet his time spent on Ohio City won't be extensive.

Bentley had to have given Franzinger a strong indication that he is committed to Ignatius for the near future. His kids are here, he was on the sidelines with them at the Mentor game.

The Ignatius strength program needs a massive boost so I am hoping LeCharles has an impact there as well.

Last edited:
I have no idea why there is any" discussion" of Hoban on this thread. LeCharles can hopefully develop the line which has been the weakness of the recent teams.

I have no idea why there is any" discussion" of Hoban on this thread. LeCharles can hopefully develop the line which has been the weakness of the recent teams.
Pretty simple some Ignatius ppl think they are above Hoban and had to resort to throwing baseless facts around. Because their program has slipped recently they wanna throw stones at anyone more successful than them. They think their way is the only way and even when they bend the rules like everyone else it’s perfectly ok.

Pretty simple some Ignatius ppl think they are above Hoban and had to resort to throwing baseless facts around. Because their program has slipped recently they wanna throw stones at anyone more successful than them. They think their way is the only way and even when they bend the rules like everyone else it’s perfectly ok.

Are you saying that Ed's "bends the rules"?

Are you saying that Ed's "bends the rules"?
You gotta give him some credit...he did come with hard facts. 1 alleged example from 12 years ago😂.

Says he used to be on the coaching staff at a certain school. If so, he has to know there are others who also did and afterwards went elsewhere, and others who also did and still keep in contact with their coaches (who possibly coach elsewhere) from when they played.

Yet he wants to bring up certain "rule bending" anyways. Interesting to say the least.

Btw, Bentley is an outstanding hire...however much time he spends there should be extremely valuable in many ways.

You gotta give him some credit...he did come with hard facts. 1 alleged example from 12 years ago😂.

Says he used to be on the coaching staff at a certain school. If so, he has to know there are others who also did and afterwards went elsewhere, and others who also did and still keep in contact with their coaches (who possibly coach elsewhere) from when they played.

Yet he wants to bring up certain "rule bending" anyways. Interesting to say the least.

Btw, Bentley is an outstanding hire...however much time he spends there should be extremely valuable in many ways.
Just stating the facts , the eagle’s miraculous landed a div 1 qb from Florida after Kyle Shurmur had to transfer a la Brett Keane 2 yr starter.

But to act like coach Kyle was above it is a straight lie, Eric Williams literally transfers in as a senior to be from across the country. when they supposedly don’t allow senior transfers and wins a state title.

Just stating the facts , the eagle’s miraculous landed a div 1 qb from Florida after Kyle Shurmur had to transfer a la Brett Keane 2 yr starter.

But to act like coach Kyle was above it is a straight lie, Eric Williams literally transfers in as a senior to be from across the country. when they supposedly don’t allow senior transfers and wins a state title.

I agree with your comments about what was being said about Hoban. You were 'spot on'.

However, in this case that you refer to, I'll quote your own words - "Making baseless accusations like this is a garbage take."
You don't know the facts and the timeline of that situation. That is all that needs to be said. End of story

I agree with your comments about what was being said about Hoban. You were 'spot on'.

However, in this case that you refer to, I'll quote your own words - "Making baseless accusations like this is a garbage take."
You don't know the facts and the timeline of that situation. That is all that needs to be said. End of story
Will agree to disagree.

FB: Tonight new Head Football Coach Ryan Franzinger ’02 named the first two senior captains for the 2023 season! Congratulations to Garrett Butchko and Jonathan Merimee as they are the first named captains for next season!

Until Ignatius returns to putting resources into the football program (just like they do for Hockey and Soccer) the program will struggle. Football has become an after thought. Alum even see it and post about right here. They have a long road to return to the elite level of dominance enjoyed years ago. Over the next two years, males in the greater Cleveland area is down. ALL private schools will have a problem with the number of males attending. I don't see a return of dominance coming anytime soon for a number of reasons. IMO

No one expects a return to dominance. We do expect to defeat Eds on some level- something that hasn't happened since 2019.

And putting money into the program isn't the only solution. Kids at the school don't see football as the main sport right now. Or even one of them. Outside of the football players themselves of course.

Finally, it isn't just talent that needs to change. The current offensive system needs an overhaul. And for the love of God, get the plays in before 3 seconds on the clock every down. Ignatius doesn't huddle yet it takes an eternity to actually run a play.

1672968938840.png

No one expects a return to dominance. We do expect to defeat Eds on some level- something that hasn't happened since 2019.

And putting money into the program isn't the only solution. Kids at the school don't see football as the main sport right now. Or even one of them. Outside of the football players themselves of course.

Finally, it isn't just talent that needs to change. The current offensive system needs an overhaul. And for the love of God, get the plays in before 3 seconds on the clock every down. Ignatius doesn't huddle yet it takes an eternity to actually run a play.
I do wonder what the cultural shift was in regards to football? Ed's has a ton of guys on both state championship teams ('21 and '22) that play a sport outside of football. I know they are dominant in soccer but their soccer dominance began while being football dominant. Hockey has won titles in the last decade and changed their approach overall in that time but I have a hard time believing that all of those guys only play hockey. It would seem being contending in football would help plenty of other programs too or vice versa.

I do wonder what the cultural shift was in regards to football? Ed's has a ton of guys on both state championship teams ('21 and '22) that play a sport outside of football. I know they are dominant in soccer but their soccer dominance began while being football dominant. Hockey has won titles in the last decade and changed their approach overall in that time but I have a hard time believing that all of those guys only play hockey. It would seem being contending in football would help plenty of other programs too or vice versa.
The cultural shift away from football is broader than Ignatius. Add in demographic factors in NE Ohio and you have multiple factors reducing the available talent pool. To me at least, beyond the players and the coaches, who obviously want to win as much as ever, the student section at an Ignatius game is quite vibrant and engaged...I can't see that much difference thru the years.

So what is different in terms of Eds vs. Ignatius? Simple, Eds draws from a much wider base...so one pool is down, they go draw from another. Ignatius doesn't, for the most part, do that, do they?

What percent of Ignatius players in the 2-deep came from west side CYO? What percent of Eds players did?

I looked at an Ignatius football program from this past season as it lists the 34 seniors and what grade schools they came from:

West suburban CYO: 16
East suburban CYO: 12
South suburban CYO: 2

West suburban middle school: 2
East suburban middle school: 1
South suburban middle school: 1

City of Cleveland: none

I looked at an Ignatius football program from this past season as it lists the 34 seniors and what grade schools they came from:

West suburban CYO: 16
East suburban CYO: 12
South suburban CYO: 2

West suburban middle school: 2
South suburban middle school: 1

City of Cleveland: none
Is that counting fringe city of Cleveland Catholic middle schools like St. Mark, OLA, St. Leo, etc., as suburban? If not, that is crazy that not one senior lived in the city when St. Ignatius is located about as close as it gets to the heart of Cleveland.

I remember 20-25 years ago when the rumblings were about St. Ignatius potentially moving to Strongsville because it was tougher to attract suburban kids to Ohio City. From this, it seems like it's just suburban kids, at least for football. With Ohio City now being the "it" place in Cleveland, you would think that suburban (CYO/public), city (CYO) and muny league families would be trying to beat down the doors to get their kids in at Ignatius.

Is that counting fringe city of Cleveland Catholic middle schools like St. Mark, OLA, St. Leo, etc., as suburban? If not, that is crazy that not one senior lived in the city when St. Ignatius is located about as close as it gets to the heart of Cleveland.

I remember 20-25 years ago when the rumblings were about St. Ignatius potentially moving to Strongsville because it was tougher to attract suburban kids to Ohio City. From this, it seems like it's just suburban kids, at least for football. With Ohio City now being the "it" place in Cleveland, you would think that suburban (CYO/public), city (CYO) and muny league families would be trying to beat down the doors to get their kids in at Ignatius.

Does City of Cleveland mean Cleveland Public Schools?

To clarify - for this past season, there were zero seniors (class of '23) on the FB roster from Cleveland CYO (OLA, St. Mark's, etc) and the city of Cleveland public (CMSD)

Looking at the class of '22 on the FB roster, there were 37 seniors:

West suburban CYO: 13
East suburban CYO: 6
South suburban CYO: 8

West suburban middle school: 1
South suburban middle school: 3

City of Cleveland CYO: 5 (OLA and St. Mark's)
City of Cleveland public (CMSD): 0

The primary feeder schools (all students) for Ignatius are St. Raphael (Bay), Gesu (University Hts), Holy Trinity (Avon), St. Chris (Rocky River), St. Albert (North Royalton) and Lakewood Catholic Academy. St. Albert's is, by far, the largest Catholic grade school in the diocese

I am shocked that there were no seniors from the west-side Cleveland Catholic grade schools. By the eye test, football participation is way down in the neighborhood as other sports (rugby, soccer) continue to grow, but seeing zero is actually pretty incredible.

The potential move was being discussed around 45-50 years ago (in the 70's). Fr. O'Reilly, the president at the time, concluded that the school's mission was in the city and we stayed put. There have been no discussions of moving up and out since then. And, imo, the rebirth of Ohio City owes more to that Jesuit's decision than anything else that happened.

As for where our students come from...they're the same people they've always been...heavily Catholic, signficantly Irish by ethnicity. Their grandfathers went to places like St. Colman and St. Ignatius of Antioch. They may live in Avon today but it's the same families.

Yes.....and no. I say this while first hand knowing a friends kid who is a freshman, from a a suburb, a sport other than football no Ignatius lineage as most of us, and not Catholic.

Granted, there are many of us who are no longer Catholic (and it has zero to do with the school).

So, many same families, but, not completely.

That also can lead to not playing the talent, but playing the name, as I mentioned a bit earlier