2023 St. Ignatius Football

I assume both accept vouchers? I honestly am not aware if yes or no
Here's a link to the list of primary and secondary schools in Ohio that are accepting students with vouchers, along with the number of such students receiving EdChoice vouchers or city of Cleveland vouchers or Jon Peterson scholarships ("special needs" students with IEPs/Individualized Education Programs or Autism ("special needs" student) scholarships

Last edited:
Ok so both take....all of Ignatius are cle vouchers. Majority of eds are cle as well. In my mind, absolutely have to try to infiltrate muni league, if they care to stay relevant. Might not really care though

cyIt’s very interesting that St. Ignatius hasn’t recruited players from Muny League or MYEFC (another NEO youth football league). I can’t think why they wouldn’t want to recruit the two leagues with the most talent, very bizarre. My son plays for Ginn Elite 13U, at our championship game a month ago head coaches from St. Edward, US, Bene, VASJ, and Padua were there and an assistant from Hoban. I can’t imagine why St. Ignatius wouldn’t have a coach watching one of the best 13U teams in the country that just happens to be in their backyard. But maybe they know something that no one else knows.

It all stems from many years of policy: CYO games only. They didn't want to be accused of "stealing" a player from the public schools. With CYO, you have players from the Catholic schools, which are not a part of the public schools.

I’m familiar with CYO, lol. My son has played CYO hoops and football and Muny League football. But Hawken, Ed’s, Bene, US and others don’t seem to mind allowing Muny games on their field. I’m hoping St. Ignatius gets it together a few of the kids I coached played on the Freshman team and they looked good!
Does CYO no longer sponsor football up there?

The MUNY league isn't giving St Edward 3 Power 5 linemen on the offensive line and 2 D1 studs on defense. That’s where the Eagles are on another level from every team in the state.

Ignatius can't close that gap with other kids right now. Graduation will.

Last edited:
The MUNY league isn't giving St Edward 3 Power 5 linemen on the offensive line and 2 D1 studs on defense. That’s where the Eagles are on another level from every team in the state right now.

Ignatius can't close that gap with other kids right now. Graduation will.
Correct. There is no denying that a number of Muny leaguers have littered Ed's roster over the years. But since this run started in 2010, the number of bona fide studs (D1 college prospects) coming from the Muny ranks is really not that many. What we have seen though is a much larger number of suburban public school kids making the trek to Lakewood from far and wide. Many of them are multi-sport athletes. Most of the best players on the defense this year are also studs on the mat. Is there a better opportunity to compete at a high level in football and wrestling anywhere in NEO right now? The price of post-secondary education is becoming almost unmanageable for the average family theses days. Parents are chasing scholarship opportunities, and that is becoming an even bigger factor when choosing a high school they perceive as providing that opportunity.

If I'm being honest, beyond the size on lines, Cats are simply missing speed and skill players mostly as well. Muny could help there.

As far as wrestling, we will nevery compete. We could match Eds there when I was in school, and while it might have improved some, still nowhere close.

The cost of some schools is borderline insane.

Correct. There is no denying that a number of Muny leaguers have littered Ed's roster over the years. But since this run started in 2010, the number of bona fide studs (D1 college prospects) coming from the Muny ranks is really not that many. What we have seen though is a much larger number of suburban public school kids making the trek to Lakewood from far and wide. Many of them are multi-sport athletes. Most of the best players on the defense this year are also studs on the mat. Is there a better opportunity to compete at a high level in football and wrestling anywhere in NEO right now? The price of post-secondary education is becoming almost unmanageable for the average family theses days. Parents are chasing scholarship opportunities, and that is becoming an even bigger factor when choosing a high school they perceive as providing that opportunity.
This is a very accurate assessment of Eds. People assume "that's a Cleveland kid" when it's actually a suburban public school kid who wants to go to Eds. The Armstrong twins and kids like Slaper and Gregory are suburban kids to name just a few.

If I'm being honest, beyond the size on lines, Cats are simply missing speed and skill players mostly as well. Muny could help there.

As far as wrestling, we will nevery compete. We could match Eds there when I was in school, and while it might have improved some, still nowhere close.

The cost of some schools is borderline insane.
I don't disagree but even with more speed and skill, Ignatius has been dominated by Eds on both lines, and those linemen are rare.

I don't disagree but even with more speed and skill, Ignatius has been dominated by Eds on both lines, and those linemen are rare.
I seem to recall seeing some very sizeable kids up front for the Cats at the lower levels the past few years. And, their games against the Eagles have been very tight. Once next years ridiculously loaded line graduates, I think we see a return to the mean. I said this before, but the biggest glaring weakness to me this year for Ignatius was at LB, a position that has defined the defensive side of the ball for them going back a decade or more now. They have always been the equalizers against a run-heavy Ed's offense. QB play has also not been up to Ignatius standards.

I seem to recall seeing some very sizeable kids up front for the Cats at the lower levels the past few years. And, their games against the Eagles have been very tight. Once next years ridiculously loaded line graduates, I think we see a return to the mean. I said this before, but the biggest glaring weakness to me this year for Ignatius was at LB, a position that has defined the defensive side of the ball for them going back a decade or more now. They have always been the equalizers against a run-heavy Ed's offense. QB play has also not been up to Ignatius standards.
Some of those big kids have tried a few different positions and have not really made their mark.

There are no past Ignatius-type LBs in the program that I see right now. Nor are there edge rushers. It's very odd.

For the old-timers
Andrachick - Gary '65 and Roger '74
Kubacki - Ray '63, Bob '71, Jim '73
Intihar - Dale '68, John '86, Phil '87

More recently
Lamirand - Dean '93, Nick '21
Gonzalez - Joe '99, Anthony '03
Massey - Pat '01, Mike '04
Van der Oord - Larry '99, Jon '02
Hennessey - Rory '78, Rory '01, Patrick '07, Seamus '09, Conor '13,

The Fitzpatricks
There were a lot of Ryans - brothers, nephews, cousins, etc

I'm sure there are more
Of all the Dowling brothers, was Brian the only one who played football?

Of all the Dowling brothers, was Brian the only one who played football?

There were 5 Dowling brothers. Besides Brian -

Chris was a really good basketball player, tennis player and track & field athlete. He is in the Ignatius Athletics HOF. His bio notes that he averaged ~20 ppg in '67 and scored 41 vs Padua in the '67 state tournament. He was All West Senate, All Scholastic and 3rd team all NE Ohio district. He also set the school record (back then) for the high jump. He got a basketball scholarship to BYU.

Pat Dowling was a tennis and basketball player.

Not sure about the other brothers. AZWildcat may know as he was there back then

It’s very interesting that St. Ignatius hasn’t recruited players from Muny League or MYEFC (another NEO youth football league). I can’t think why they wouldn’t want to recruit the two leagues with the most talent, very bizarre. My son plays for Ginn Elite 13U, at our championship game a month ago head coaches from St. Edward, US, Bene, VASJ, and Padua were there and an assistant from Hoban. I can’t imagine why St. Ignatius wouldn’t have a coach watching one of the best 13U teams in the country that just happens to be in their backyard. But maybe they know something that no one else knows.
Speaking of MYEFC, look at the private schools who host those games: St. Edward, Lutheran West, Holy Name, Central Catholic, Benedictine, University School. I'm surprised that St. Ignatius hasn't tried to get some of those games at Wasmer. It seems like every weekend in the fall, they have games at Holy Name all morning/afternoon.

Speaking of MYEFC, look at the private schools who host those games: St. Edward, Lutheran West, Holy Name, Central Catholic, Benedictine, University School. I'm surprised that St. Ignatius hasn't tried to get some of those games at Wasmer. It seems like every weekend in the fall, they have games at Holy Name all morning/afternoon.
They are still stuck on the CYO or nothing model. Perhaps that will change, but I'm not holding my breath.

1. Change the model. It doesn't work any longer, things have changed.

2. Play the best player no matter their name

3. Play the best player no matter their year.
4. Change the offensive formation. The cold handoff to the RB doesn't work most of the time. See the pistol look Eds does for a better formation.

It’s very interesting that St. Ignatius hasn’t recruited players from Muny League or MYEFC (another NEO youth football league). I can’t think why they wouldn’t want to recruit the two leagues with the most talent, very bizarre. My son plays for Ginn Elite 13U, at our championship game a month ago head coaches from St. Edward, US, Bene, VASJ, and Padua were there and an assistant from Hoban. I can’t imagine why St. Ignatius wouldn’t have a coach watching one of the best 13U teams in the country that just happens to be in their backyard. But maybe they know something that no one else knows.
Bizarre?

I like winning football. I like a winning school more. Figure out how to field a team that competes for state titles while focusing on having a great school. It can be done.

And, btw, Bentley just got a title…

Yes, bizarre that a school doesn’t recruit outstanding football players and young men from leagues other than CYO. That said why do you mention a winning school and having a great school in conjunction to recruiting student-athletes from the Muny league?
Because you are bloviating about recruiting. If you watched Coach Kyle over nearly 40 years, he had a very clean reputation and understood that the school sold the football team, not the reverse. Your tone is pretty clear…football team that happens to be connected to a school.

Last edited:
No reason you can’t market to Muny and MYEFC kids while maintaining a highly successful school, just need to keep the same admissions standards and select for kids who see the overall value of the Ignatius experience and don’t want to come just for football.

Because you are bloviating about recruiting. If you watched Coach Kyle over nearly 40 years, he had a very clean reputation and understood that the school sold the football team, not the reverse. Your tone is pretty clear…football team that happens to be connected to a school.
Yea that 1 yr rental qb from Oregon was really about academics back in 2011 🙄.

I think there is a happy medium somewhere between being a sell your soul Hoban and being a Walsh Jesuit for example