2023 St. Edward Football

Do we expect that the new harbin policy for Canadian teams will have any impact on scheduling Football North moving forward?
I don't know it this matters much, but I do not believe the OHSAA has outlawed Canadian schools in the computer points per se. I think the policy is that the school must belong to a association that is affilliated with the NFHS. For whatever reason, the Ontario Federation of School Athletic Associations left the NFHS. Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Quebec, and Saskatchewan are all still members.

I wonder if Ontario rejoining is a possibility down the road, and I wonder if Football North and other "American" football programs in Canada can pursue membership elsewhere (New York Association of Independent Schools?)

Along those lines, based on the NFHS policy, will Our Lady of Good Counsel count in the computer points?

Painful to watch as an Ignatius guy. Video is amazing looking. Very well done.

I'm so happy Kilbane is graduating, but fully admit he's as good as it gets at DE. I would not be shocked to see him play on Sundays.

Here is an up close and personal look at the Eagles state championship season. The videography is great, as are the interviews!

Nice, thanks for sharing. Send me a 24 minute video and almost certainly I will not get around to watching it, but I watched that whole thing lol. Very nice.

Reminds me of the old DVDs that recapped the whole year in the Gibby days. I wish I knew where I put those.
Just watched the highlight tapes from 02, 03 and 04. Carney was a heck of a QB, great arm. Nice run in 03 to the championship game. Lombardo was an assistant in 04. Also watched the 35-34 3ot loss to the school from the lower westside. Still have to go through the rest. One labeled 04 Massillon. Couple of Warren Harding games.

I particularly liked Wolverton saying "they had their time. We own Cleveland."

Ouch. I would say "Ohio" for the Eagles.
I remember watching the annual Ignatius ones (with Jack narrating) and thinking they might never lose.

Along those lines, based on the NFHS policy, will Our Lady of Good Counsel count in the computer points?
Unless there are changes I’m not aware of, yes.
GC was equated to D2 last season when Moe played them.

Hoping that game is available to watch/stream; two great teams.

There is a change to the rules for 2023.
And what would that be? Good Counsel is a coeducational Catholic school in Maryland, not a club or prep school. The change in calculating points was in regards to Canadian programs, correct? Or those not associated with NFHS correct?

In Massillon, we're very excited to get a shot at Valdosta. How does everyone in Eagle land feel about their opponent in week 1???

I remember watching the annual Ignatius ones (with Jack narrating) and thinking they might never lose.
That's how I feel now. I've already chalked up a three-peat for the Eagles.

The games aren't close right now between the schools.

In Massillon, we're very excited to get a shot at Valdosta. How does everyone in Eagle land feel about their opponent in week 1???
I think it's a great event and hope the games are competitive. I remember going down to a similar event at PBTS in 2006. Eds played a team from Arkansas and it was clear they didn't travel well. We clobbered them. That was before social media and highlights everywhere took hold so we kind of just assumed they were good, and they weren't.

Seems like there's not so much of a competitive balance issue this year in these games. Should be a good weekend.

What’s the most high profile games St Ed’s has ever played vs national powers ??

st joe (philly)
Don bosco (NJ)
Springdale (ark)
Chimande Madonna (Florida)
Bergen catholic (NJ)
St Joe regional
Cherry creek (Colorado)

personally I’d love to see Bishop Gorman outta Las Vegas once.

the big NJ Catholics are always a tough game.

we all know the ultimate goal for the program is one of those “mythical National titles” only way to get those is to have a crazy schedule and a few power outta state schools and win your state a few yrs in a row. That being said why not take a chance a big Texas school or cali school for once.
I woulda suggested a power from Georgia, BUT. I know how you Northern privates tend to shy away from big school publics in the South. The bad boy privates in Georgia are MARIST, Woodward Academy, Greater Atlanta Christian, Benedictine Military Academy, and Steele Chambers' alma mater, Blessed Trinity. But there ain't NO way in HELL that any of those privates plays a GHSA big school public such as Carrollton, Mill Creek, Walton, Buford, Grayson, Langston Hughes, or Colquitt Co. (and maybe not even some of the smaller publics such as Cedar Grove, Creekside, Sandy Creek, or Westlake)

SEEMS as though It'd be only fair that you boys would come South, like Camden Co., Buford, and now Valdosta have done in Ohio.

As an aside, my lil alma mater found the way to that promised land, by going 30-0 in the toughest state in the country for big time competition.

I think it's a great event and hope the games are competitive. I remember going down to a similar event at PBTS in 2006. Eds played a team from Arkansas and it was clear they didn't travel well. We clobbered them. That was before social media and highlights everywhere took hold so we kind of just assumed they were good, and they weren't.

Seems like there's not so much of a competitive balance issue this year in these games. Should be a good weekend.
GEEEEZ folks. When, EXACTLY has Arkansas EVER been a power on the national high school scene? Or even Oklahoma, Mich., Wisc., Minn., IND., or ILL., for that matter? HECK, after our South Georgia kiss with one of the top two or three teams in Missouri a coupla seasons ago. THEY don't wanna play in our play pen anymore EITHER. Shortly after we administered that 42-14 haymaker to Trinity Catholic from St. Louis, and after East St. Louis barely beat the same team in OT the next week. They decided to back out of our game with them, the following season. SAME o SAME o, for most of the South Florida powers for next seasons kick off classic in the HAWG PEN at Colquitt Co. So NOW, as a result of the aforementioned experiences in Georgia. We have an on the field interview with a prospective future head coach, if the one we have don't work out. Tommy Knotts and perennial national power Dutch Fork, S. C. will be coming for the 8:00PM showdown in the kickoff classic in August.

You KNOW when a team comes THAT far, like Dutch Fork, to play the Packers in the HAWG PEN, they're SERIOUS. I remember one season in early 2012, when Atlanta's Norcross came down to Moultrie to do battle with us in a Spring scrimmage. They came down on Thursday night, for the FRIDAY scrimmage. And they won on a last second, three yard run 33-32, when Alvin Kamara broke the goal line plane. And then, there was the four losses to Colquitt by the Coffee High Trojans from Douglas, Georgia, when Tyreek Hill was carrying the mail at RB/WR. Just a few other lil memories from the good ole days in SOWEGA!

We'll leave the light on for ya.

And what would that be? Good Counsel is a coeducational Catholic school in Maryland, not a club or prep school. The change in calculating points was in regards to Canadian programs, correct? Or those not associated with NFHS correct?
Yes, the rule is that a school must be a member of an organization that is affiliated with the NFHS. Ontario dropped out. I do not know if Good Councel meets the criteria. The state association in MD is for public schools. I m sure there is some other affiliation, but I was just asking what that is.

Yes, the rule is that a school must be a member of an organization that is affiliated with the NFHS. Ontario dropped out. I do not know if Good Councel meets the criteria. The state association in MD is for public schools. I m sure there is some other affiliation, but I was just asking what that is.
Our Lady of Good Counsel is a member of the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference, a parochial school league in the DC area. WCAC is not a member or affiliate association of NFHS according to their web site.

https://www.nfhs.org/resources/state-association-listing

They are, however, an approved non-member school of the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association, which is an NFHS member association.

https://www.mpssaa.org/schools/sanctioning/approved-non-member-schools/

Last edited:
Our Lady of Good Counsel is a member of the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference, a parochial school league in the DC area. WCAC is not a member or affiliate association of NFHS according to their web site.

https://www.nfhs.org/resources/state-association-listing

They are, however, an approved non-member school of the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association, which is an NFHS member association.

https://www.mpssaa.org/schools/sanctioning/approved-non-member-schools/
Correct. Maryland and Virginia have separated the public & private schools for tournaments, that is all.

Ed’s is dialed in for a deep state championship run this year. Pretty sure we all agree. That 2024 class has been a special class. Since it’s off season not much to talk about. And this is Ed’s football forum.
What’s the classes behind next years senior class look like? Do you expect a slight drop off? A big drop off? Size speed? I can tell you iggy has a great 2026 class . Great quarterback and lots of size and decent speed. Does Ed’s have some horses coming up? In 2025 and 2026 classes?

Seems like StEd's is ruling R1 with authority and no one is catching them anytime soon. Probably a good thing there is turnover with the Ignatius Coaching staff because it seemed obvious they had no answer for StEd's. R4 is a blood bath and I got a feeling Springfield is going to rule R3 for a long time. Are we going to see Pickerington bounce back in R2? If I didn't know any better they are constantly battling for public school kids with their next door neighbors over at Gahanna. Very good chance StEd's has a three peat because Moeller is probably the best team in R4 this season but they are not a great team. Having said that R4 bounces back strong in 2024.

Ed’s is dialed in for a deep state championship run this year. Pretty sure we all agree. That 2024 class has been a special class. Since it’s off season not much to talk about. And this is Ed’s football forum.
What’s the classes behind next years senior class look like? Do you expect a slight drop off? A big drop off? Size speed? I can tell you iggy has a great 2026 class . Great quarterback and lots of size and decent speed. Does Ed’s have some horses coming up? In 2025 and 2026 classes?

Looks like all 3 returning classes are undefeated against the Cats, but some competitive games at lower levels. I don't have the Jr class Freshman results, but I recall they won.

JV 2022 - W 27-0 ( current sophs)
JV 2021 - W 28-14 (current jrs)
FR 2022 - W 27-26 (current fr)
FR 2021 - W 21-14 (current sophs)

Looks like all 3 returning classes are undefeated against the Cats, but some competitive games at lower levels. I don't have the Jr class Freshman results, but I recall they won.

JV 2022 - W 27-0 ( current sophs)
JV 2021 - W 28-14 (current jrs)
FR 2022 - W 27-26 (current fr)
FR 2021 - W 21-14 (current sophs)
According to Ignatius' site, the Freshmen 2020 score was 34-0 Ed's.

still wondering who the next group of high level players are. Last year had 2? Sophomores Lb and a safety playing varsity! Is there going to be a few juniors and sophomore’s that can help this year’s varsity? But I’m talking not just playing but playing at high level. I think the bay village transfer bush?
I think that’s his name? Is going to be a high level lineman. Runningbacks? One was hurt last year but heard great things about him. Defensive ends?
Who’s next in line to replace Kyan mason? Or bulluck? Or even the big 3 lineman? I head there’s a great freshman runningback and a safety. And a going to be junior safety that had 19, yeh 19 interceptions in his first 2 years. Ball hawk. But I heard he’s real small. But if he can tackle he’s proven he can attack the ball.

I understand my last post was conflating this years squad and next years team. I’m just trying to understand the landscape of what and who is coming? So I am vested I knowing who’s who,
And who I can feel vested in