2023 St. Edward Football

I’m sure the 3 div 1 Olinemen with big offers a returning qb and 2 WRs plus both lbs on D and half the secondary, there gonna be just fine if not better.

no one’s stopping the run game.
Pardon me for chiming in here. So while I respect the remarkable run that St. Edward is having over the last decade, remember that other schools in NE Ohio and elsewhere have had the same level of success at one time or another. It bothers me somewhat that some St. Edward posters seem to take great pleasure in making condescending remarks about a rival school that at one time in the not too distant past had an equal if not more dominant run in more than one sport. Some schools in SW Ohio also had very successful runs at state championships in multiple sports only to come back to earth at one time or another. It would seem to me that St. Edward posters (some not all) might be a little more appreciative of the competition and lower the rhetoric. Just sayin! GBM

If they are undefeated, perhaps. If the Eagles beat Massillon, they’re top 8 at worst.

If 2022 St. Ed’s had 3-4 more DI recruits, they would have started higher in polls. If they also stay undefeated, they finish higher - probably top 3-5.
I agree with your first take, but there's also a kind of "double-edged sword" to the Massillon game imo. While the loss created a drag to their ranking that the Eagles never entirely overcame, the loss was actually good for them, and they may have played better quicker, with more urgency, because of it. Several players admitted as much. From the next week on, and especially the Ignatius game two weeks later week 7, they rose to an entirely different level and pretty much dominated everyone from that point on. Nine sacks and eleven TFLs -- 20 plays behind the LOS! -- in a championship game is absurd.

Had Eds been at the level pre-Massillon that they rose to post-Massillon, it would be interesting where they would have landed in national polls. It actually was a young team, and the offensive chemistry and identity eventually caught up to the defense. I'm convinced they were a Top 10 team at the end of the season. But you have to go undefeated to be fully recognized.

My bad.

Kilbane and Gideon were mere pieces to the Eagles puzzle. Easily replaceable.
So much so that, imo, they may not have won either championship without them. A solid team everywhere else both years, yes. But those two guys are the greatest reason for the championships. To win a third straight, they will have to do it differently. Are they the favorite? No doubt.

Pardon me for chiming in here. So while I respect the remarkable run that St. Edward is having over the last decade, remember that other schools in NE Ohio and elsewhere have had the same level of success at one time or another. It bothers me somewhat that some St. Edward posters seem to take great pleasure in making condescending remarks about a rival school that at one time in the not too distant past had an equal if not more dominant run in more than one sport. Some schools in SW Ohio also had very successful runs at state championships in multiple sports only to come back to earth at one time or another. It would seem to me that St. Edward posters (some not all) might be a little more appreciative of the competition and lower the rhetoric. Just sayin! GBM
You're sure reading a lot into "they'll be fine" and "no one is stopping the run game".

edsfootball10: "I like waffles"

Birdog: "So you are saying you don't like Pancakes! :mad:"

Going into this past season the defense was expected to carry a young offense in the early going. The opposite may be true next year but, as others have mentioned, having experienced players at each level of the defense (two at LB) should make the transition easier. I also thinks it's much easier to get a defense up to speed rather than an offense, particularly one with a new underclassman QB. Bullock had his moments late in the regular season, but didn't really hit his stride until the playoffs. There is no replacing the likes of a Kilbane or Gedeon, but Pappas is one of the best at finding different ways to generate pressure. Will we have 40 sacks next year from our DE's? Likely not. Can we get that combined total from 3 or 4 guys on the defense? Quite possibly. Will we need that production to duplicate last year's championship run? I don't think so.

I will be interested to see who emerges after summer camp at the edge positions on defense. Does anyone know if Bouldin is still with the team? He was a guy stat stood out at the freshman and JV levels for this '24 group, but I don't recall seeing him on the field at all this past year despite being on the team roster.

Last edited:
Nate Gregory has a bit of a John Kerr look to him. Similar size. Kerr was a tackling machine for 3 years at Ignatius. Gregory seems to be in on every play.

Nate Gregory has a bit of a John Kerr look to him. Similar size. Kerr was a tackling machine for 3 years at Ignatius. Gregory seems to be in on every play.

Gregory could certainly be a guy who could fill that “tweener” edge role played by Gedeon and Petrowski in recent years.

See prior posts and you will see the opposite of most of your thoughts.
I did look back, nobody answered 2 defensive ends leaving, no names to fill 34 sacks, yes rb and tight end accounted for ,as is offensive line and quarterback. Only 2 recievers mentioned? Top jv reciever moved. Also one safety and one corner returning. A team is only as good as it’s weakest link, does last years kicker ring any bells? Not slamming the kid, he just got the yips. And it cost Ed’s , could have cost them more. So when everyone just says Ed’s will be fine. I’m just asking . Ed’s will be fine, but can they be better? Than last year with the graduations?

I did look back, nobody answered 2 defensive ends leaving, no names to fill 34 sacks, yes rb and tight end accounted for ,as is offensive line and quarterback. Only 2 recievers mentioned? Top jv reciever moved. Also one safety and one corner returning. A team is only as good as it’s weakest link, does last years kicker ring any bells? Not slamming the kid, he just got the yips. And it cost Ed’s , could have cost them more. So when everyone just says Ed’s will be fine. I’m just asking . Ed’s will be fine, but can they be better? Than last year with the graduations?
The main kicker did not play last year. The kid that filled in for him did a great job! I’m sure they will have an adequate replacement for him. Same thing St. Ignatius does, but better.

As far as the defenline goes, you can’t replace that type of production. As mentioned by others, the amount of returning offensive players will have to step up until the defensive side starts to gel. Although, they do return 6-7 defensive starters.

They return Mason and Sullivan at WR. Check.

They return Ballough at TE. Check

They return one running back in Gribble or Grouble. Ed’s has always had next man up running backs, so I’m not concerned.

What else should I cover? Not looking for argument just trying to answer your questions.

And the prior post mentioned Regovich on the DL line. He is a returning starter that will help shore up the missing pieces.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Regovich move from DT to one of the DE slots. He has the size 6.5 255. Gregory, Slaper, Eaton are returning staters on D. Behlen Waugh wrestles at 215 and will slot in someplace. PK should be Danny Tome who was Lavelle's backup.

Last edited:
On another note, I came across a box of old VHS tapes. I think it might be the mother lode. About 20 tapes. 3 labeled 1971, 1972 and 1973 when I played. The rest are from the 90s and early 2000s. My neighbor was the Ed's AD in the 90s. I remember him saying they found some old game films and he put them on tape for me plus he was giving me tapes from the 90s. Included is the 1995 35-34 game with Ed's commentary. For some reason, I have an Iggy 1993 Masterpiece tape narrated by Jack Corrigan. Not sure of the quality since they've been in a box in my basement. I have a DVD recorder lined-up.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised to see Regovich move from DT to one of the DE slots. He has the size 6.5 255. Gregory, Slaper, Eaton are returning staters on D. Behlen Waugh wrestles at 215 and will slot in someplace. PK should be Danny Tome who was Lavelle's backup.
Regovich played on the edge his freshman and JV years and could certainly be moved back outside next season. However, he played very well on the inside this year and that is where he probably projects at the college level. His frame will allow a lot more weight. I like the thought of him anchoring the inside and freeing up Slaper, Gregory, Waugh, etc. to shoot the gaps. Speaking of all these guys (including Eaton), I can't remember a time we had this many wrestling standouts at the varsity football level. Traditionally, the really good wrestlers hung up their cleats after freshman or JV year to focus exclusively on wrestling.

Regovich played on the edge his freshman and JV years and could certainly be moved back outside next season. However, he played very well on the inside this year and that is where he probably projects at the college level. His frame will allow a lot more weight. I like the thought of him anchoring the inside and freeing up Slaper, Gregory, Waugh, etc. to shoot the gaps. Speaking of all these guys (including Eaton), I can't remember a time we had this many wrestling standouts at the varsity football level. Traditionally, the really good wrestlers hung up their cleats after freshman or JV year to focus exclusively on wrestling.
Interesting discussion who was the best wrestler / football player the eagles have had.

Tom cousineau?
King ? State champ heavy in the 90s
The Kuhar brothers
Michael O’Malley
Kilbane but he’s not wrestling this year
Dominic Abounader

just to name a few off the top of my head.

Interesting discussion who was the best wrestler / football player the eagles have had.

Tom cousineau?
The Kuhar brothers
Michael O’Malley
Dominic Abounader

I think you are referring to Dan King. Class of 95

Tom cousineau?
The Kuhar brothers
Michael O’Malley
Dominic Abounader

Haruki Nakamura wrestled
Ryan Adkins was also a wrestler and a great nose tackle and running back

On another note, I came across a box of old VHS tapes. I think it might be the mother lode. About 20 tapes. 3 labeled 1971, 1972 and 1973 when I played. The rest are from the 90s and early 2000s. My neighbor was the Ed's AD in the 90s. I remember him saying they found some old game films and he put them on tape for me plus he was giving me tapes from the 90s. Included is the 1995 35-34 game with Ed's commentary. For some reason, I have an Iggy 1993 Masterpiece tape narrated by Jack Corrigan. Not sure of the quality since they've been in a box in my basement. I have a DVD recorder lined-up.
Figure out how to get that on Youtube!

Tom cousineau?
The Kuhar brothers
Michael O’Malley
Dominic Abounader

I’d give the nod to Abounader. 3x state champion wrestler, all-American at Michigan, and on the short list of the best safeties I’ve seen put on the green and gold. Still remember the time he suplexed a guy on the field.

Wish could say. I just cannot. Assure you 1 and 2 are wrong. These 2 games are very tough. Aquinas, Bosco, Thompson, AL were all reached out too. Lombardo would have played all but none would commit, I commend him. Bosco reached out but the price tag was a small house in west park. Following efforts to make a deal, they would not respond. Week 2 they have a very tough game vs top talent, on ESPN. That is all I can give you. Eds should hit polls in low teens, 2 top tier wins they can crack the top 10 early.

Wish could say. I just cannot. Assure you 1 and 2 are wrong. These 2 games are very tough. Aquinas, Bosco, Thompson, AL were all reached out too. Lombardo would have played all but none would commit, I commend him. Bosco reached out but the price tag was a small house in west park. Following efforts to make a deal, they would not respond. Week 2 they have a very tough game vs top talent, on ESPN. That is all I can give you. Eds should hit polls in low teens, 2 top tier wins they can crack the top 10 early.
I like the sounds of it !!!! One big away game and 1 big home game vs a national power would really show the rest of the country where Ohio football is at. Deff feel like the state has been overlooked the last 10yrs.

When will the week 2 game announcement come out? End of July lol?

Ed’s doesn’t wait to announce their schedule. They post games once they are official.
They do when asked. First two weeks of 2023 had/have a high probability of being scheduled and managed by third parties.

We’d all love games against local opponents. Those days are gone until the run is over. Enjoy it while it lasts.