2023 St. Edward Football

That’s fine if you’re ok being a big fish in a small pond. I spoke to a coach I know and the only way to implement spring ball in Ohio is to cut the basketball season short by two weeks.
Well if you know a coach I must be out of my league here, but multiple sport athletes are still desired by recruiters. Ed’s has plenty of them.

That’s fine if you’re ok being a big fish in a small pond. I spoke to a coach I know and the only way to implement spring ball in Ohio is to cut the basketball season short by two weeks.
What's wrong with being the Ohio D1 champion? Or being the dominant program by far the last 10 years?

Even when Ignatius was rolling in the 90s I didn't care one bit about where they were ranked nationally. Winning Ohio and beating Eds was more important.

What's wrong with being the Ohio D1 champion? Or being the dominant program by far the last 10 years?

Even when Ignatius was rolling in the 90s I didn't care one bit about where they were ranked nationally. Winning Ohio and beating Eds was more important.
Because Ohio football isn't what it once was. Talent level is very down and the development compared to other states is waaaay behind.

Because Ohio football isn't what it once was. Talent level is very down and the development compared to other states is waaaay behind.
Disagree about development. Ohio kids get pretty much as good of coaching as you will find, but the superior athletes and physical specimens are in much shorter supply than in the past.

I see your point about recruiting sites and talent rankings. I do.

However, your Eds' teams have more talent than any program in Ohio right now. And it's not close.

Disagree about development. Ohio kids get pretty much as good of coaching as you will find, but the superior athletes and physical specimens are in much shorter supply than in the past.
The coaching is great when they get it no doubt but they aren’t getting nearly as much as other states.

I see your point about recruiting sites and talent rankings. I do.

However, your Eds' teams have more talent than any program in Ohio right now. And it's not close.
Like I said before, big fish small pond. If Eds were doing this in a state like Georgia it would be very well known nation wide but other than high school football fans in Ohio it isn’t talked about. I never see any mention of Ohio teams on Maxpreps social media.

I don't agree. St. Ed's, or Ignatius, for that matter, could install that model. St. Ed's already has a sports program that is built to pursue that national recognition. Students show up to be on that team from very far away...it's happened many times. The same could be done (at Ignatius or Ed's...or some other school) in football. I don't want that to happen at my school...I would be dead set against it, BUT...realistic? Why not?
Iggy’s regime is done. It’s time to realize Eds is 👑 in NE Ohio and they lost their crown. Don’t be surprised if Hoban continues to get W’s every year especially if an arrogant snob like Carter Welo is calling plays for Iggy.

Like I said before, big fish small pond. If Eds were doing this in a state like Georgia it would be very well known nation wide but other than high school football fans in Ohio it isn’t talked about. I never see any mention of Ohio teams on Maxpreps social media.

Nerd alert.

There's another element to this discussion that we don't fully realize, and it's impressions on social media. St. Ed's is "seen" on social media across the country. I was in Florida (Fort Lauderdale area) in March and someone recognized my Ed's pullover and said "you guys are the team to beat in Ohio". We are a widely known school, there's no doubt about it.

Both arguments here are right. It would be great to play a national schedule if we could win all those games, but I would say to be careful what we wish for. I liked the Cherry Creek game and think that should be the extent of it. Play a big team from somewhere far away but then keep it as local as we can.

Bishop Gorman? We should be playing them every year considering the circumstances.

Iggy’s regime is done. It’s time to realize Eds is 👑 in NE Ohio and they lost their crown. Don’t be surprised if Hoban continues to get W’s every year especially if an arrogant snob like Carter Welo is calling plays for Iggy.
No way? The regime is done? I'm certain every Ignatius person will be shocked to know this.

And Eds is king of NEO? No way? Another unknown gem. Wow. Thanks for the keen insight.

Oh, and a majority of Ignatius fans hate Welo's playcalling, so there's that too.

But keep the good stuff coming.

Who cares? Not parents. Not the kids. Not the alumni. We’re living through the best run of St. Edward football ever.

Spring football? Let the kids play baseball, lax, rugby and run track.
So I guess the wrestling team should not compete vs national ranked teams either ? They should be content with winning Ohio every year.

Theres always a logical next step and the football program is at that stage where it’s either move the needle a little more and become a national power or be content where they are.

Not complaining either way but don’t see a reason not to strike when the irons hot. 1 big nationally ranked team at home then 1 away would be plenty.

I really don't understand the mindset of being the Kings of Ohio as not enough. It was just before 2010 when many Eds fans would have given anything for one football title and to beat Ignatius consistently. Both goals exceeded.

I could just be old. It may not seem that way now, but the Eagles will come back to Earth. Then these same people might long for Ohio titles again.

2023 Schedule
1 @ Massillon event vs ??
2 H Pittsburgh Central Catholic
4 @ Cincinnati Elder
5 @ Massillon ????
7 H St Ignatius
8 H Football North (ON)
9 H Archbishop Moeller
10 @ Archbishop Hoban
Updates? Center Grove (IN) and St Thomas Aquinas (FL) both mentioned.

Isn't 18th in MaxPreps final ranking good? Pretty good?

Ed’s has big voids to fill. For starters 34 or so sacks from defensive ends , running back, tight end, and at least 2 recievers. Plus others! Does Ed’s have next man up? Anyone have a complete guess at offensive and defensive roster? Ed’s has the big 3 returning and a great quarterback a beast of reciever, some real nice defensive players. But some HUGE SHOES TO FILL!

Ed’s has big voids to fill. For starters 34 or so sacks from defensive ends , running back, tight end, and at least 2 recievers. Plus others! Does Ed’s have next man up? Anyone have a complete guess at offensive and defensive roster? Ed’s has the big 3 returning and a great quarterback a beast of reciever, some real nice defensive players. But some HUGE SHOES TO FILL!
See prior posts and you will see the opposite of most of your thoughts.

Yes but the best team in Ohio should be a top 5 team, not finishing inside of the top 20......
If they are undefeated, perhaps. If the Eagles beat Massillon, they’re top 8 at worst.

If 2022 St. Ed’s had 3-4 more DI recruits, they would have started higher in polls. If they also stay undefeated, they finish higher - probably top 3-5.

As loaded as Eds will be in 2023, replacing Kilbane and Gideon will be reall difficult.
I’m sure the 3 div 1 Olinemen with big offers a returning qb and 2 WRs plus both lbs on D and half the secondary, there gonna be just fine if not better.

no one’s stopping the run game.

I’m sure the 3 div 1 Olinemen with big offers a returning qb and 2 WRs plus both lbs on D and half the secondary, there gonna be just fine if not better.

no one’s stopping the run game.
My bad.

Kilbane and Gideon were mere pieces to the Eagles puzzle. Easily replaceable.

My bad.

Kilbane and Gideon were mere pieces to the Eagles puzzle. Easily replaceable.
PDC,

I appreciate your posts and agree with a lot of what you say. You predicted back to back and a 90% chance of another. Keep doing your thing!