2023 Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers sign former Eagles guard Isaac Seumalo to a 3 yr deal. The offensive line is getting kind of crowded. Are they going to trade a linemen for a 4th/5th round pick?
You can never hav too many lineman. If the money works out then depth is not a bad thing. My opinion.

I do love the direction the o-line seems to be heading.

I know its been posted, but a summary so far .............

Steeler FA summary.jpg

With these moves I think the Steelers can now go "best available player". DL perhaps, then CB, then whatever.

It’s starting to feel like the Steelers are seriously looking at CB with the 1st pick or at least a CB in the first 3 rounds. Patrick Peterson has stated he is comfortable with playing in multiple positions and a willing mentor. The Steelers don’t do too well drafting cb’s but being a division w/ Burrow & Chase - they need someone at cb who can hold their own for 3.5-4 seconds.

It’s starting to feel like the Steelers are seriously looking at CB with the 1st pick or at least a CB in the first 3 rounds. Patrick Peterson has stated he is comfortable with playing in multiple positions and a willing mentor. The Steelers don’t do too well drafting cb’s but being a division w/ Burrow & Chase - they need someone at cb who can hold their own for 3.5-4 seconds.

Almost certainly in one of their first 3 picks. If Joey Jr is still there at 17 I think they grab him. Not sure if I agree but I’m not an NFL scout. OL is an afterthought now. Maybe R5 or later. I’m thinking DL/Edge in the top 3 picks…maybe a WR if they fall in love with one.

I would be very surprised if they were satisfied with Moore and Chuks at T last season. They beefed up the interior line for sure but the outside needs to be improved. I still hope for OT at 17 if one of the top guys fall.

I would be very surprised if they were satisfied with Moore and Chuks at T last season. They beefed up the interior line for sure but the outside needs to be improved. I still hope for OT at 17 if one of the top guys fall.
Maybe, depending on BAP

1st rd - DL or CB
1st rd - 2nd pick - OL
2nd rd - DL, CB or LB
3rd rd - whatever they did not get above

I’m thinking all the R1 worthy tackles will be gone by then. Maybe at pick #2?

Former Steeler OLB Bud Dupree is visiting Pittsburgh. If healthy & for the right price (1 year deal), he would be a good backup to Watt & Highsmith. I’d still like to see Pittsburgh extend Highsmith, he’s no TJ Watt but in a one on one pass rush situation he’s better than most in the NFL.

Former Steeler 3rd wr Steve Sims just signed with the Texans. Signing Dupree allows the Steelers to draft a slot wr with of their first four picks.

Former Steeler OLB Bud Dupree is visiting Pittsburgh. If healthy & for the right price (1 year deal), he would be a good backup to Watt & Highsmith. I’d still like to see Pittsburgh extend Highsmith, he’s no TJ Watt but in a one on one pass rush situation he’s better than most in the NFL.

Former Steeler 3rd wr Steve Sims just signed with the Texans. Signing Dupree allows the Steelers to draft a slot wr with of their first four picks.

Not sure how I feel about this. It would have to be 1yr/ and fairly cheap. I think I’d rather they draft an edge guy in the first 4 rounds. Btw, the 8 yr contract Dupree signed with the Titans included $35 million guaranteed. He’s already secured $68 million in his career.

Saw this in a 3 round mock draft.

1-17 S Branch (Ala)
1-32 CB Ringo - (Ga)
2-49 DL Tuipulotu (Usc)
3-80 S Mapu - (Sac St)

Don't hate but do we need safeties that much?

Best thing is their is hope of Pickett becoming a Super Bowl caliber qb and he’s currently on his rookie deal:

2022 - $2.5 mil
2023 - $3.2 mil
2024 - $3.8 mil
2025 - $4.5 mil
2026 - 5th year team option….
*$$$ depends upon playing time and number of Pro Bowl(s). This years 5th year option on qb’s was $11 mil (Tua) to $29 mil (Burrow) for the 2024 season. I believe teams have to decide rather or not to pick up the 5th year option before the start of the 4th year.

Trib.com reports the Steelers may be trying to move up to acquire Jalen Carter in the draft. I hope they know what they are doing..I like picking #17 and 32.

Trib.com reports the Steelers may be trying to move up to acquire Jalen Carter in the draft. I hope they know what they are doing..I like picking #17 and 32.

The cost to move from 17 to 9 in the draft is probably the 32 pick. Carter is possibly the most talented player in the draft but has the car accident incident. Seattle may take Carter at 5. I could see the Steelers moving down if Minnesota at 23 wants a qb or if Dallas at 26 or Buffalo at 27 want the Texas rb.

I think the Tennessee OT could be the Steelers pick, the NW, Georgia & OSU OT’s will probably be gone by 17. The Tennessee guy had a great game vs Georgia & their top OLB/Edge rusher. A OT in the 1st and then a CB and edge rusher or wr in the 2nd would be a good draft.

If the OSU wr slips to 17, the Steelers have to consider him. They could still get a OT with the 32 pick.

Last edited:
I don't think it would move the needle at all for a WR pick. Robinson has injury issues the past couple years and will be 30 at the start of the season. There's no guarantee Calvin Austin will be a contributor and the rest are filler.

You are probably right but I think this trade is all about George Pickens. The Steelers want an adult in the wr room & on the practice field, for him to see how a wr should interact w/ the qb (not like Stefan Diggs) and how to be a professional. Johnson is still young & could learn a thing or two as well.

At the cost of $5 mil 2023 cap hit and a swap of 7th rd picks - it’s a good deal and if Robinson can actually play, a very good deal.

So who do the Steelers take in R1? Better question, who would they like to take?

I think they would like Paris Johnson. If they sit at #17 more likely Porter.

Hoping they remember this isn't a fantasy draft and actually focus on early round OL and DL talent for a change.

Hoping they remember this isn't a fantasy draft and actually focus on early round OL and DL talent for a change.
Agree. I’d like one of the tackles but the top 3 may already be gone at 17. CB, DL also need some young blood.

The draft is a day away, hopefully the Steelers can get 1 or 2 starters out of this draft for the 2023 season.

Steelers have 7 picks: 1st (17th), 2nd (32nd & 49th), 3rd (80th), 4th (120th) and 7th (241st & 251st)

I don’t think/want the Steelers will move up, they are more than one player away from a Super Bowl. If they did move up I believe it would only be for the Georgia DT Jalen Carter. I believe the 3 OT’s are off the board by the 17th pick. I hope the Steelers can take the Tennessee OT Wright. Other OT’s they could take at 17 or 32: Florida G (may be able to convert to OT), Oklahoma OT or Syracuse OT. The BYU OT & North Dakota St OT are possible at the 49th pick. A trade of the 32nd pick is very possible for additional picks in 4th & 5th Ed’s this year and/or next year which is expected to be a great draft.

ILB, CB and Edge Rusher is a must and maybe a wr or TE (a lot of very good ones in this draft) to develop would be nice.

The one thing I like about the free agents the Steelers have signed, 3 of them were team captains. Robinson should be a good vet for Pickens & the wr’s to learn from and who knows, maybe he still has something in the tank. The Steelers are in good shape moving forward with regards to the Salary Cap, they should be able to resign OLB Alex Highsmith (if the choose to do so) and get a free agent or two next year. In the end, it all comes down to Kenny Pickett - if he develops and progresses the Steelers will be fine.

So the Steelers are on the clock. I’m certain they had a few calls last night and will today. Do they now take Joey P. at 32 or go in a different direction maybe trade for an additional pick? Pick #32 is technically a No. 1 pick if not for Miamis woes.

I would have preferred the Tennessee OT but I like the Georgia OT Jones. Jones is a talented guy and obviously OT is/was a priority need pick for the Steelers. Giving up the 4th rd pick (#120 over) was worth the move up 3 slots to get the OT.

Several ways to go with the #32 pick. Branch, Porter or if they love an edge guy would all be good picks. I think the Steelers will trade down if a decent trade presents themselves. The GM & Tomlin have both said they love the depth in this draft. I believe the Steelers feel confident in their culture & developing guys in the 3rd-5th rounds into solid pros so trading down to get another pick or two makes sense. I would guess trading the 32nd pick would get someone’s 2nd, 3rd & maybe a 5th or maybe a mid round pick for next year would be good as well.

Great to have options in life.

I’m meh about it. I think he’ll be ok but probably not worth what is basically a first round pick. He’s not that fast and got caught holding too much for my taste. I wish I had faith in this organization to develop an outside corner

Jones, Porter, Benton, and Washington is a pretty good haul. Probably won’t see a ton of the defensive guys next year but I expect Jones and Washington to be immediate impacts, especially in run blocking.

Also nice job by Khan moving back in the 3rd and getting back into the 4th round. I believe they wouldn’t have picked again till the 7th otherwise