2023 Ohio State Tournament Predictions Report

I think.......
D1 126 #12 Roman Parobek Ashland is certified at 120.

Also, thanks for doing this. Great read.

Last edited:
In terms of Mechanicsburg, my bad. On my spreadsheet list for all the wrestlers, I had switched Mechanicsburg kids to Heath at the beginning of the season. Then I forgot to pick up those kids to put Harrison Central next to them. So when I did the district breakdown sections, I became a creature of habit and plugged them into Troy.

Given that we know this, you guys can just plug the Mechanicsburg kids appropriately into Harrison Central and do the necessary composition analysis.

No seniors for the Eagles. All will return for next year.
Josh has Delsanter in his predictions, without Delsanter the Eagles would be void of seniors going into sectionals this weekend. Looks like Josh has Behlen Waugh 3rd at Perrysburg.

Josh has Eds down for 13 to place top 6, with 7 finalists with 1 senior. That would be pretty, pretty good. It would be a monster point total.
If that happens this would officially be one of the weakest qualifying field and State tournament field in perhaps in D1 history. This isnt even a top 20 St Eds team historically, wsnt to dispute that talk about National accolades compared to Top Ed’s teams of the past. Last years field also unimpressive overall.

If that happens this would officially be one of the weakest qualifying field and State tournament field in perhaps in D1 history. This isnt even a top 20 St Eds team historically, wsnt to dispute that talk about National accolades compared to Top Ed’s teams of the past. Last years field also unimpressive overall.
Maybe, I have no idea or desire to compare this years Ohio field versus past years. I would say St Ed’s would have more national accolades if their football team would lose in the first round of the playoffs instead of going to the title game every year. I don’t think it has the top talent that some of their best teams have had, I do think the bottom 5 or 6 starters is more talented then most St Ed’s teams of the past.

I do think the field is more spread out than it has been in years past. Eds is relying more on depth as opposed to 3-4 big hitters who are basically assured a spot in the finals, that's why I think the semifinals will be a tough round for the Eagles this year.

I have Eds placing 13, with 5 in the finals, 2 champs, 0 seniors.

It's just HS wrestling my friend and the quality of HS wrestling has never been better. If you are so unimpressed, maybe you should find another hobby.

I do think the field is more spread out than it has been in years past. Eds is relying more on depth as opposed to 3-4 big hitters who are basically assured a spot in the finals, that's why I think the semifinals will be a tough round for the Eagles this year.

I have Eds placing 13, with 5 in the finals, 2 champs, 0 seniors.
I believe that will be a big ask. I believe all 14 can place. Will they? More than likely no. I will reserve my picks until I see who takes what place in the districts. Taking a 1st instead of a 2nd or 3rd has always been huge for me.

I believe that will be a big ask. I believe all 14 can place. Will they? More than likely no. I will reserve my picks until I see who takes what place in the districts. Taking a 1st instead of a 2nd or 3rd has always been huge for me.
Taking the easy route I see! lol.

CHEATERS 😂
1 senior. Amazing
With Delsanter being done for the year due to a shoulder injury, Behlan Waugh is now manning the 215 spot, so no seniors!

What could be viewed as a huge break at that weight is Boro has Waugh at #25 (I think he should right around 12 as of now) and Boro has him as being #3 out of the Perrysburg district, so a definite favor for Eds having #215 being a weak weight a P-Burg.

With Delsanter being done for the year due to a shoulder injury, Behlan Waugh is now manning the 215 spot, so no seniors!

What could be viewed as a huge break at that weight is Boro has Waugh at #25 (I think he should right around 12 as of now) and Boro has him as being #3 out of the Perrysburg district, so a definite favor for Eds having #215 being a weak weight a P-Burg.
At the state dual finals, Zeb asked Coach Sako if Delsanter and Kilbane were out for the rest of the year. He said yes to Kilbane but he wasn’t sure about Delsanter. I took that to mean there was at least a shot Delsanter was going to go for the State series. I guess we’ll find out soon.

Waugh is deservedly ranked low but to me that’s because he just doesn’t have many matches in, his ability is above #25 imo.

CHEATERS 😂
1 senior. Amazing

At the state dual finals, Zeb asked Coach Sako if Delsanter and Kilbane were out for the rest of the year. He said yes to Kilbane but he wasn’t sure about Delsanter. I took that to mean there was at least a shot Delsanter was going to go for the State series. I guess we’ll find out soon.

Waugh is deservedly ranked low but to me that’s because he just doesn’t have many matches in, his ability is above #25 imo.
Waugh will be higher than 25. I also thought very low ranking but understandable. Waugh is the 215.

Is this a St. Edward team that compares to the national title/national contender teams of years gone by? Heck no.

Is this a very balanced St. Edward team bereft of any real holes? Yes.

In terms of the 215 Waugh, yes he does benefit from Perrysburg being very weak at the weight class. He probably would struggle to clear Hoover if you swapped Eds and Brecksville (Gregory, Bottiggi, Millin, and Blackburn all there would make it tough) as an example. He just doesn't the data points this season to be anywhere higher than right around 20 (+/-). You have a data-point of getting majored by Wells from Black RIver at Marion Harding.