2023 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really speaks well for Coach Bradley at Mansfield and what he's done, Reno in Steubenville, Coach Gatto at Barberton (he turned around a magical dumpster fire and brought winning football back to The Magic City), and how Massillon keeps rolling at such a very high level.

Leonard Rush at Lima had a "way" with Lima kids that worked; Tim Hinton at Marion was an accomplished coach who found his way to Ohio State University; Fremont and Sandusky seem lost as does Elyria, Lorain, and Warren if they don't get their coaching together.

The other part of it for some other familiar "industrial town" programs like Alliance: they can't keep a coach more than 3-4 years, same with Niles. If they had the right coach, even though their enrollment has dropped, there's no reason why they can't win playing smaller schools in smaller leagues. Phil Annarella won at Niles and so did Joel Cockley at Alliance. Those coaches had the ability to tap into what historically made them strong.

Canton McK has kept winning but clearly has had more issues than Massillon and, IMO, has bigger problems in the city than just football games. McK playing the Fed has helped them keep some regular season consistency.

But, again, Massillon rolls along like the mighty Tuscarawas River through good times and bad. Some coaches are better than others, some times are better than others, but they keep rolling. It's a neat thing IMO.
I’m sure Chioke Bradley appreciates the comments because he has done a remarkable job at Mansfield Senior in the 12 years he has been head football coach.

Over those seasons, Bradley is 94-50. The Tygers were the 2019 Division III state runner-up, losing to Trotwood-Madison, 14-7, in overtime

A 1993 Senior High graduate, Bradley was a three-sport star—football, basketball and track—and was on every major college program recruiting radar before settling on Bowling Green State University, where he started for four straight years.

Coach Bradley has led over 20 more players to go on to play college football, including 10 players who went on to play Division I college football.

Currently there are five Senior High graduates playing Division I football—Michigan State safety Angelo Grose, one of the players suspended after the UM-MSU tunnel brawl; his brother, Aveon, playing at UNC-Charlotte; Clay Caudill, Toledo defensive end; and defensive tackle Anthony Hawkins and linebacker Myles Bradley, Chioke’s son, both at Bowling Green.

Another of his sons—defensive back Keontez, also a track star, has signed with Arizona State, while linebacker Mekhi Bradley was offered by Toledo, although he did not sign.

With Keontez Bradley’s signing with ASU, perhaps 1970 Senior High graduate Sherrod Brown—yes that would be U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown—will prepare and insert some congratulatory comments in the Congressional Record.

"With Keontez Bradley’s signing with ASU, perhaps 1970 Senior High graduate Sherrod Brown—yes that would be U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown—will prepare and insert some congratulatory comments in the Congressional Record."

One time Brown's office had a press release about a Massillon-related issue years and years ago and they spelled it "Massilon" and I called them out on it.

To their credit, they fixed it fast.

"With Keontez Bradley’s signing with ASU, perhaps 1970 Senior High graduate Sherrod Brown—yes that would be U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown—will prepare and insert some congratulatory comments in the Congressional Record."

One time Brown's office had a press release about a Massillon-related issue years and years ago and they spelled it "Massilon" and I called them out on it.

Are the Tigers playing Elkhart IN in 2023?

As someone who went to elementary, junior high and high school with Sherrod, I can tell you that he's a stand-up guy.

His political career started in the summer of 1974, just weeks after he graduated from Yale.

The Richland County Democratic Party, hoping to unseat an incumbent female state representative, asked Sherrod to run. It was a long shot campaign, and nobody gave him a chance to win.

But he worked his butt off, sprang a huge election-night upset, and at the tender age of 21 became the youngest member ever in the Ohio House of Representatives.

I was honorably discharged from the Army that summer, had some free time, and did some door-to-door canvassing for him. Sherrod and his two older brothers, both Senior High graduates who are just as professionally accomplished as Sherrod, several years ago established a scholarship fund in their parents' name for first-generation college students in Richland County.

I think Elkhart is on a main railroad line, so Massillon fans be pretend it's 1963 and organize a train trip to the northern Indiana community.
Massillon fans, book that train trip early, Elkhart is the home of the National New York Central Railroad Museum. How cool is that?

Are the Tigers playing Elkhart IN in 2023?
OK Massillon fans, I know this is a thread on Massillon football, but give me some latitude, since Mansfield Senior will be playing at Massillon in Week 3. The Tygers open the 2023 season at Akron St Vincent-St Mary and are looking for a Week 2 opponent for a home game.

I'd like the Tygers to be at least 1-1 going into the Massillon game.

Tyger head coach Chioke Bradley loves a tough, challenging non-conference schedule.

Here's a list of teams that are attractive, that Massillon fans know a little something about, and that are looking for Week 2 games, according to another Yappi thread: Austintown Fitch, Canfield, Cleveland Heights, Dover, Lakewood, Parma Normandy, Springfield, Uniontown Green, Youngstown Cardinal Mooney and Youngstown Chaney.

Frankly, Mahoning County is a bit of a hike, but there is no one available in northwest Ohio.

You're the most passionate high school football fan base in Ohio. Give the Mansfield Senior AD and Chioke some advice. Who should they try to schedule?

I think Elkhart is on a main railroad line, so Massillon fans be pretend it's 1963 and organize a train trip to the northern Indiana community.

Is it a home and home 2 year contract? The Elkhart schedule says at Massillon for 2023

2023 Varsity Schedule​

8.18.23 CONCORD 7PM
8.25.23 @ NORTHRIDGE 7PM
9.1.23 HAMMOND MORTON 7PM
9.8.23 @ Massillon (OH) 7PM
9.15.23 @ PENN 7PM
9.22.23 SB ST. JOSEPH 7PM
9.29.23 @ SB ADAMS 7PM
10.6.23 @ MISHAWAKA MARIAN 7PM
10.13.23 NEW PRAIRIE 7PM
10.27.23 SECTIONAL-TBD

Is it a home and home 2 year contract? The Elkhart schedule says at Massillon for 2023

2023 Varsity Schedule​

8.18.23 CONCORD 7PM
8.25.23 @ NORTHRIDGE 7PM
9.1.23 HAMMOND MORTON 7PM
9.8.23 @ Massillon (OH) 7PM
9.15.23 @ PENN 7PM
9.22.23 SB ST. JOSEPH 7PM
9.29.23 @ SB ADAMS 7PM
10.6.23 @ MISHAWAKA MARIAN 7PM
10.13.23 NEW PRAIRIE 7PM
10.27.23 SECTIONAL-TBD
Folks, for the historical record, Mansfield Senior dedicated Arlin Field in 1947 with a 37-13 win over Fort Wayne (Ind.) Northside High School. Since Fort Wayne and Mansfield were on the main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad, I bet that the Fort Wayne team traveled by train to Mansfield. By the way, I think the "SB" in the schedule stands for South Bend.

OK Massillon fans, I know this is a thread on Massillon football, but give me some latitude, since Mansfield Senior will be playing at Massillon in Week 3. The Tygers open the 2023 season at Akron St Vincent-St Mary and are looking for a Week 2 opponent for a home game.

Tyger head coach Chioke Bradley loves a tough, challenging non-conference schedule.

Here's a list of teams that are attractive, that Massillon fans know a little something about, and that are looking for Week 2 games, according to another Yappi thread: Austintown Fitch, Canfield, Cleveland Heights, Dover, Lakewood, Parma Normandy, Springfield, Uniontown Green, Youngstown Cardinal Mooney and Youngstown Chaney.

Frankly, Mahoning County is a bit of a hike, but there is no one available in northwest Ohio.

You're the most passionate high school football fan base in Ohio. Give the Mansfield Senior AD and Chioke some advice. Who should they try to schedule?
It's quite a list for your week 2 proposed home game, but I'll make a selection based on two criteria:

1) Who can you beat and/or "hang with"?
2) Attendance. Who will bring some fans?

Just off the top, your attendance will be really low with this list. Cleveland teams are like a drunk with the hand shakes. They don't draw well.

Youngstown, you are correct, is a hike from Richland County.

Dover would likely bring the biggest crowd. I think you can hang with Dover.

Plus, Dover is likely going to join the Ohio Cardinal Conference replacing Mount Vernon and then they'd be in the Ohio Cardinal with their arch-rival New Phila who just joined the league.

This game gives everyone a preview of Dover in the Ohio Cardinal Conference.

There was a Mansfield poster on JJ. I think his screen name was The Great One. Back in 01 or 02 I predicted a 60-0 score and he preceded to tell me how ridiculous I was and that I know nothing about football.
I was 1 point off lol.
I do like Mansfield and absolutely love their stadium.

It's quite a list for your week 2 proposed home game, but I'll make a selection based on two criteria:

1) Who can you beat and/or "hang with"?
2) Attendance. Who will bring some fans?

Just off the top, your attendance will be really low with this list. Cleveland teams are like a drunk with the hand shakes. They don't draw well.

Youngstown, you are correct, is a hike from Richland County.

Dover would likely bring the biggest crowd. I think you can hang with Dover.

Plus, Dover is likely going to join the Ohio Cardinal Conference replacing Mount Vernon and then they'd be in the Ohio Cardinal with their arch-rival New Phila who just joined the league.

This game gives everyone a preview of Dover in the Ohio Cardinal Conference.
Dover may not be a slam dunk for the OCC. Richland County boys' and girls' basketball teams would l have to make four trips on U.S. 250 to Tuscarawas County in the winter, which is not fun and which is giving school officials pause.

I've driven on that road from Wooster to New Philly-Dover numerous times.

Although I can say for Warren, since the Tigers have played them a lot, that it’s definitely coaching because the talent is absolutely there.

Warren is in trouble, too. They need a really, really good coach to turn that around.

It all starts at home. Sprinkle in a heavy dose of ego and you get what you pay for. Imagine going 5-6 with some of the best talent you ever had and trying to blame the declining population because your ego won’t allow you to look in the mirror and fix what you see. Yet, Massillon is calling out Moe & Eds with a smaller population. 🤔

I really hope that Massillon fans are happy with the position that not only Coach Moore, but your entire community currently has y’all in. As a whole, y’all will probably never give yourselves enough credit for the “system” that y’all collectively set up for your youth to flourish in. Keep it up. 👍🏾

It all starts at home. Sprinkle in a heavy dose of ego and you get what you pay for. Imagine going 5-6 with some of the best talent you ever had and trying to blame the declining population because your ego won’t allow you to look in the mirror and fix what you see. Yet, Massillon is calling out Moe & Eds with a smaller population. 🤔

I really hope that Massillon fans are happy with the position that not only Coach Moore, but your entire community currently has y’all in. As a whole, y’all will probably never give yourselves enough credit for the “system” that y’all collectively set up for your youth to flourish in. Keep it up. 👍🏾
Thanks Worm ! I think I can speak for all Massillon fans in saying we hope Warren can get things back on track and we continue to have great games for the next 50 years.

Green would be a formidable opponent in game 2. Just be careful who will be officiating.🤔

That is very true lol
Cleveland sucks. The home of Ralph Perk, Kucinich, Jane Campbell, Mike White and Terry Pluto's pathetic weekly apology columns in the PD.

"Dijon Watson will get better this week," says Terry Pluto.

My Hungarian (butt). You do the sad Yappi editing function for butts.

Cleveland will redevelop the lakefront (LOL!) and everything is great in the 2-1-6!

McNeil blows chunks on Twitter and does nothing original. He just follows Bernie around hoping for sloppy seconds.

Cleveland sucks.

I didn't even get into Lanigan, Rizzo or Micheal Symon and about how they suck more than Roto Rooter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.