2023 HS Season

It is Ignatius, Moeller, Xavier, Elder, Walnut Hills, Darby, Centerville and Olentangy Liberty

per Coach Dom/Adam Schefter

So, believe it or not, the season is only about 2.5 weeks away. I think we know Moeller and X should be 2 of the top dogs this year in D1, but who else do we think can give them a run for their money in D1? Whole GCL South is now D1 again so that's a fun new, but actually kind of old, twist.

Same questions for D2. D2 always interests me because no one region or area seems to dominate.

So, believe it or not, the season is only about 2.5 weeks away. I think we know Moeller and X should be 2 of the top dogs this year in D1, but who else do we think can give them a run for their money in D1? Whole GCL South is now D1 again so that's a fun new, but actually kind of old, twist.

Same questions for D2. D2 always interests me because no one region or area seems to dominate.
I feel like for D1 X and Moeller are by far the favorites this year. I do feel like teams in the GMC will surprise people this year though, I'm not saying they'll make a run for state or anything but the amount of club players from the GMC is crazy this year. (Lakota west alone has 7 club players this year)

For D2 St. Francis Desales is by far the favorite to win state this year, They competed with a lot of high level teams last year and honestly didn't lose a whole lot of players due to graduation. I wouldn't be surprised if a school like Fenwick, McNick or another team up north make a run for state either.

I feel like for D1 X and Moeller are by far the favorites this year. I do feel like teams in the GMC will surprise people this year though, I'm not saying they'll make a run for state or anything but the amount of club players from the GMC is crazy this year. (Lakota west alone has 7 club players this year)

For D2 St. Francis Desales is by far the favorite to win state this year, They competed with a lot of high level teams last year and honestly didn't lose a whole lot of players due to graduation. I wouldn't be surprised if a school like Fenwick, McNick or another team up north make a run for state either.
I don’t think 7 club players necessarily puts you in the state championship conversation. On the powerhouse schools it’s an oddity if you didn’t play club.

I’d throw Carroll in there for D2

I don’t think 7 club players necessarily puts you in the state championship conversation. On the powerhouse schools it’s an oddity if you didn’t play club.

From the north one of these teams will definitly make the state tournament - Ignatius, Eds, or Hudson.

Do we have any information on how the state tournament will work? as far as I can tell the only thing OHSAA has put out is the division breakdowns.
As far as predictions go...Moeller stays on top.

Do we have any information on how the state tournament will work? as far as I can tell the only thing OHSAA has put out is the division breakdowns.
As far as predictions go...Moeller stays on top.
Heard from a coach it will be the style of typical OHSAA state playoffs. Essentially just the D2 model. Regional Final acts as the quarterfinal and we get a 4 team state tournament. Only question I have is what the 4 regions will be. North, Central, and South basically encompass everyone.

I was never saying that they'll make a push for state I'm just saying that they'll surprise people this year compared to their usual standards.

The Monnins will definitely have Carroll in the conversation, but they lost a lot of big contributors to graduation. Looks like the twins were the only starters that were juniors last year. Lots of unproven around them.

Heard from a coach it will be the style of typical OHSAA state playoffs. Essentially just the D2 model. Regional Final acts as the quarterfinal and we get a 4 team state tournament. Only question I have is what the 4 regions will be. North, Central, and South basically encompass everyone.
Looks like the state championship will be the South regional final...disappointed but not surprised by OHSAA here.

Looks like the state championship will be the South regional final...disappointed but not surprised by OHSAA here.
What would be really cool is if the #1 seeded team based on state ranking got an automatic bye into the state semi finals, and then the Central, North and South regional finals filled the three other slots. Doubt they do anything that cool though.

Go to the OHSAA boys volleyball website and look at the Division breakdown sheet. It lists all the teams. Not all of them might have teams in the end.

Go to the OHSAA boys volleyball website and look at the Division breakdown sheet. It lists all the teams. Not all of them might have teams in the end.
Yeah, that list is very long, but I wouldn’t doubt if 50+ ended up not having teams. At least this year. Any interested school needs to get youth programs going.

Yeah, that list is very long, but I wouldn’t doubt if 50+ ended up not having teams. At least this year. Any interested school needs to get youth programs going.
Exactly. I was looking for a more definitive list. I guess we shall see once schools hold their tryouts in a few weeks.

Do you know if the OHSAA will allow schools starting programs, to have just frosh and/or JV only for this season?

Exactly. I was looking for a more definitive list. I guess we shall see once schools hold their tryouts in a few weeks.

Do you know if the OHSAA will allow schools starting programs, to have just frosh and/or JV only for this season?
That's a good question and one I haven't seen presented anywhere. I'd hope they would so schools can at least gain momentum without having to get blown out every time they play.

That's a good question and one I haven't seen presented anywhere. I'd hope they would so schools can at least gain momentum without having to get blown out every time they play.
That would just come down to each schools Athletic Director's scheduling wisely. I highly doubt any of the top teams in the state are going to schedule first year programs.

There will be some blowouts, and that's to be expected, just as long as there aren't blowouts where kids can actually get hurt with inexperienced plays at the net

That would just come down to each schools Athletic Director's scheduling wisely. I highly doubt any of the top teams in the state are going to schedule first year programs.

There will be some blowouts, and that's to be expected, just as long as there aren't blowouts where kids can actually get hurt with inexperienced plays at the net
That's a good point. Although, I think coaches do a lot of the scheduling so I wouldn't doubt that some newer programs might look to test themselves or show their kids what a top program looks like. And then, when a top program has a match or two left on the schedule, they sometimes throw those guys a bone.

I would hope that 1st year programs have coaches in place that know what they're doing and can teach playing safely at the net.

So that means the X-Moeller regional match may be the state final?

So that means the X-Moeller regional match may be the state final?
Well, I think the message from last year was that all you have to do is make the big match and you have a shot. Going off of preseason favorites, I’d agree moeller and X are 1 and 2. That said, I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a done deal it will be one of the two taking it all this year.

Well, I think the message from last year was that all you have to do is make the big match and you have a shot. Going off of preseason favorites, I’d agree moeller and X are 1 and 2. That said, I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a done deal it will be one of the two taking it all this year.
While I agree nothing is a done deal, every other region is ecstatic this year that they don't have to deal with 2 South teams.

From the Northwest Ohio area it looks like Perrysburg, Anthony Wayne, Toledo Scott, Toledo Christian, Holland Springfield, Amherst Steele all have teams this year. It's nice to see Boys Volleyball is starting to grow in Ohio.

From the Northwest Ohio area it looks like Perrysburg, Anthony Wayne, Toledo Scott, Toledo Christian, Holland Springfield, Amherst Steele all have teams this year. It's nice to see Boys Volleyball is starting to grow in Ohio.
Love, love, love this. 6 teams is a nice size league for NWO and will encourage other schools to add since there is some stability with 6. You lose one or two, still enough for a "league" without having to always travel to Columbus or Cleveland areas.