2023 HS Season

Does anyone know anything about the Hudson program? When they walked in the gym at the State tournament, they almost looked like a JV team. That being said, they proceeded to play past my expectations vs. Beavercreek, and I noticed they had 5 guys who were regional all-stars and all 5 are rising seniors this year. Would think they'll be likely to make it back to state (depending on new format, of course). I was just curious, because they kind of came out of nowhere from my pov.

Does anyone know anything about the Hudson program? When they walked in the gym at the State tournament, they almost looked like a JV team. That being said, they proceeded to play past my expectations vs. Beavercreek, and I noticed they had 5 guys who were regional all-stars and all 5 are rising seniors this year. Would think they'll be likely to make it back to state (depending on new format, of course). I was just curious, because they kind of came out of nowhere from my pov.

Hudson had best regular season record in north (D1 and D2 combined). Hudson beat Ignatius and Ed's in the regular season. Ignatius and Ed's also beat Hudson in the regular season. It will be these three teams competing for D1 north champ.

Regular Season through 14 May:
Screenshot 2022-07-20 195118.png

Source https://ohioboysvolleyball.com/

I'm very interested to see how the teams/players up north progress next year. As I mentioned before, the North D1 1st team was all juniors and a sophomore. The 2nd team only had 2 seniors.

I would expect Hudson, Ignatius, and Ed's to all be within the top 7-8 teams in the state next year regardless of division

I'm very interested to see how the teams/players up north progress next year. As I mentioned before, the North D1 1st team was all juniors and a sophomore. The 2nd team only had 2 seniors.

I would expect Hudson, Ignatius, and Ed's to all be within the top 7-8 teams in the state next year regardless of division
Well assuming St X, Moeller and Elder are also in the top 7-8 that only leaves 1-2 spots across all divisions. Seems like a bit of a reach in my mind.

Well assuming St X, Moeller and Elder are also in the top 7-8 that only leaves 1-2 spots across all divisions. Seems like a bit of a reach in my mind.
I'm not sure Elder will be in the top 7-8 next year...

The other teams I would have in the conversation would be DeSales, Mt Vernon, and Walnut Hills.

A lot of the higher ranked teams from last year lose almost all of their core players. Beavercreek, Centerville, Liberty, Badin, St. Charles all lost a LOT due to graduation

The other teams I would have in the conversation would be DeSales, Mt Vernon, and Walnut Hills.

A lot of the higher ranked teams from last year lose almost all of their core players. Beavercreek, Centerville, Liberty, Badin, St. Charles all lost a LOT due to graduation
Yeah that’s true, I guess I wasn’t sure how severely Elder would be affected by that. Liberty’s squad was senior and sophomore heavy this past season, they should bounce back either this year or next, but I agree the rest of those teams got gutted. Thomas Worthington as well lost just about everyone.

New head coach out at Centerville. Troy Brewer, previously an Alter assistant, takes over for Corey Burge to be the next head coach for the Elks.

Dang, only 23/24 years old presumably, based on graduation year. Could be there for a long time.

I wouldn't put Walnut Hills in the top 10 just yet. Gotta figure out who can get the ball to Wheatley and Tombragel.

Mt. Vernon should be the best team in the East. Bring back pretty much everyone from a team that made the regional final last year. I’d have Jerome second. Setting definitely an issue for Walnut. Was looking forward to seeing them at Witt but heard they had to drop due to not enough players. Olentangy Berlin should be really good out of the East too. Seems like the South is going to be Moeller and X this year, but I guess you never know! With Creek and Centerville losing a lot, maybe Northmont gets back into the state tournament picture this season.

I wouldn't put Walnut Hills in the top 10 just yet. Gotta figure out who can get the ball to Wheatley and Tombragel.
It will be Limoco. Having another year of club should help him continue to improve. Wheatley and Tombragel will be enough to keep Walnut in the top 10 in the state. Add in Moyer and Dinardo and you have a strong core of players

I’m at the Wittenberg tournament now. Olentangy Berlin is smoking teams, same with Desales. Dublin Jerome is missing their starting setter but is doing well. New Albany has one win by point differential and perfectly split 25-23, 23-25 with another team to tie. (No third set in pool play). Kilbourne is also doing well, but Walnut Hills did not show so their pool is a little weird. St Charles and Thomas Worthington are certainly lacking after graduating a lot.

Also, after talking with Olentangy Berlin players apparently both Olentangy and Olentangy Berlin are going to D1. Makes the OCC-Cardinal a power conference for D1 East. Darby, Olentangy, Berlin, Jerome. Thomas, Scioto and Big Walnut probably lesser teams this year. Kilbourne likely to be a top contender in D2 as well. Will Haslett was first team all state D2 and will return this year.

Also, after talking with Olentangy Berlin players apparently both Olentangy and Olentangy Berlin are going to D1. Makes the OCC-Cardinal a power conference for D1 East. Darby, Olentangy, Berlin, Jerome. Thomas, Scioto and Big Walnut probably lesser teams this year. Kilbourne likely to be a top contender in D2 as well. Will Haslett was first team all state D2 and will return this year.
Are we assuming they'll be D1 because their corresponding girls volleyball teams got moved to D1? I didn't think OHSAA has shared division for bvb yet.

Are we assuming they'll be D1 because their corresponding girls volleyball teams got moved to D1? I didn't think OHSAA has shared division for bvb yet.
That’s just what their players told me. I don’t have any official confirmation but I imagine their coach told them.

Is there anywhere that has all the conferences and which teams are in them? I’m sure it exists for most other sports but specifically for volleyball.

It’s official this club season 22-23 will be the last years/seasons with 4 guys playing together from one high school. 23-24 will change to the girls rule (only 3 per school)

Definitely going to make it tougher on the Cincinnati based clubs where the majority of the talent comes from Elder, Moeller, and X.

Thinking back on the last few top Attack 18s teams and they would have had to make changes to the roster

21-22
Bianco, Maune, Schwallie, Busken

20-21
Kastner, Tooman, Schroeder, Carmosino

19-20
No change needed

18-19
Kastner, Mauch, Connaughton, Dannemiller

I think it will have an even bigger effect on the 2nd and 3rd teams unless there is a big push at some of the other schools in the South region to have kids start playing club

It’s very difficult to compete at the national level as the current 4 person rule sits. I will be almost impossible for Ohio club teams to compete nationally next season.
I’m interested to see how teams shake out at Op/Attack/Vanguard and A2. It’s a very talented senior class. Could this years seniors try to form a super team like Vanguard did a few years ago?

It’s very difficult to compete at the national level as the current 4 person rule sits. I will be almost impossible for Ohio club teams to compete nationally next season.
I’m interested to see how teams shake out at Op/Attack/Vanguard and A2. It’s a very talented senior class. Could this years seniors try to form a super team like Vanguard did a few years ago?
Who all would make up that "Super Team" in your mind?

Also, what do you mean by very talented senior class? I think there are 3 or 4 D1 players MAX.

IMO, the last few years have been down in talent significantly.

When we talk about competing at the national level, what does that mean? Top 20 open? Top 10 club? Beating other top clubs in the country?

I’d say top 10-15ish in Open
Esteves Ed’s
Patterson Moe
Wheatley Walnut
Meyer X
Brown Creek
Walsh Sycamore
Samuels Elder
Brown Iggy
Woolbert Jackson
Pickem for the 10th spot

Last edited:
Also, what do you mean by very talented senior class? I think there are 3 or 4 D1 players MAX.

IMO, the last few years have been down in talent significantly.

When we talk about competing at the national level, what does that mean? Top 20 open? Top 10 club? Beating other top clubs in the country?
I think referring to having SOME players in Cincinnati that can matchup with the best in the nation. Wheatley, Walsh, Patterson, and Tombragel would all start on 99% of 18's club teams.

I think the comment is likely more specifically directed to Meyer, Patterson, and Samuels who did not play for Attack last year but would help the top Attack team take that next step nationally. Where they land within the national ranks would be anyone's guess. Probably in the 10-20 range?