2023 Football

Thought I’d get some conversation going into next season. Lots of questions surrounding this squad. How will the team adjust after losing a senior class that had a lot of starters and key contributors? Will Ponatowski stick to baseball and not return as starting QB? If he does return, could Dunn/Robinson steal back the job? Can they form a cohesive unit on the OL that may lack experience, but is in no shortage of talent? I think it could make for a very interesting season next year with the players that are coming back. Here’s a breakdown of how depth chart would prob look after this past season:

QB: Ponatowski(So.,?), Dunn(Sr.), Drew Robinson(Sr)
RB: Marshall(Sr.), Shade(Sr.)
WR: Mason(Jr.), Smith(Jr.), Folger(Jr.), Zielenski(Jr.), Love(Jr.)
TE: Duffy(Sr.), Geselbracht(Sr.)
OT: Jordan(Sr.), Powell(Jr.)
OG: Land(Jr.), Palmer(Jr.)
OC: Hamre(Jr.), Shelton(Sr.)
DE: Hayes(Sr.), Paul(Sr.), Adkins(Jr.)
DT: Stuerenberg(Jr.), Monahan(Sr.), Valier(Sr.)
LB: French(Sr.), Foltz(Jr.), Cravens(Jr.), Budd(Sr.)
CB: Hobbs(Sr.), Leonard(Sr.)
S: Murphy(Jr.), Alex Robinson(Sr.), Jonah Hayes(Jr.)

If anyone has any info or comments on some younger players like freshman or sophomores on JV who could make a splash, feel free to post below. Overall, I think offensively, there’s going to be some inexperience, but there’s a lot of talent and youth to build on for the next couple years that I don’t think this will be a troubling unit. Defensively, however, is another story. The DL returns many guys who started or played last year, so I would think this is a great unit. Especially if Jewett gets up to 220-230 lbs. this off-season without losing quickness. He could end up having a monster senior season like BMar did this past season with the recruiting pedigree to show for it. Besides Hobbs and French, there’s not a lot of experience in the back seven. I think a lot of times this past year, the staff made calls knowing they’d be protected by a back seven that was extremely experienced. And as good as they were, it still didn’t stop Springfield from controlling the game through the air when it mattered most.

Obviously, long ways to go before next August, but I still think this team wins back to back GCL championships and is right in the mix to be in contention for a regional and state title berth. GBM!!!!!!!

Good stuff Hurri. Moe defenately has strong group returning talent to build around. Totally agree the 2023 team is going to be right back in the hunt for a GCL and state title in 2023. Watch out for a number of Soph's next year to be major contributors at DT, LB and TE (along with QB).

Anyone have schedule info?

The WR group has a very high ceiling. Two of these kids have the potential to play very high level D1 College Football

WR: Mason(Jr.), Smith(Jr.), Folger(Jr.), Zielenski(Jr.), Love(Jr.)

What I have so far:

CINCINNATI MOELLER
1 - (H) Ben Davis (IN)
2 - (H) Fort Wayne Dwenger (IN)
3 - @ East Central (IN)
4 - @ Center Grove (IN)
5 - (H) Cincinnati St. Xavier
6 - (H) Cincinnati LaSalle
7 - @ Cincinnati Elder
8 - (H) Cleveland St. Ignatius
9 - @ Lakewood St. Edward
10 - @ Detroit King

Last edited:
Micah Rice, a class of 2025 FS, has transferred from Archbishop Hoban to Big Moe. This is a great development as Rice has been a starter for a very successful Hoban team all season as just a sophomore. It may be D2, but they’ve played plenty of big time opponents that Moe also played this season (Igs, Eds, Massillon). He looks very athletic and at already 6’2, 185, he could grow into a huge D1 recruit by the time he’s a senior. With the experience he has along with athletic potential, I think he could really fill a great role in a defense that returns 2 or 3 players with a ton of inexperience at safety next year.

Safety was likely the most wide open spot within the defense next year. Alot of positioning may come down to who is willing to make position changes to help the overall team. Already looking forward to the next season.

Safety was likely the most wide open spot within the defense next year. Alot of positioning may come down to who is willing to make position changes to help the overall team. Already looking forward to the next season.
Damn right and well said! Seventeen senior starters gone, among others.

It appears that's not the only thing changing. Same offensive playbook but different OC is what I've heard. Possibly freshman coach moving around...

I thought we were still in the contract with Trinity for week 4? Surprised if St. I's isn't on the schedule for week 8. They need games just like we do. Should be interesting to see what happens next year. We lose a lot. GBM!

I thought we were still in the contract with Trinity for week 4? Surprised if St. I's isn't on the schedule for week 8. They need games just like we do. Should be interesting to see what happens next year. We lose a lot. GBM!
I believe you are correct on both week 4 & 8. Perhaps they are in pencil and not ink at this point.

Congrats to the next slate of seniors who will be signing to play college football tomorrow. With tomorrows crop as well as the group from December, this makes 15 total seniors playing collegiate ball. 11 D1 commits, 4 FBS, 3 D2, and 1 D3.

Cap Davis (CB): Committed to Brown
Ethan Sweat (LB): Committed to Thomas More
Rashaad Glenn (LB): Committed to Dayton
Lamont Cox (S): Committed to Notre Dame College
Collin Remenowsky (RG): Committed to Ashland
Josiah Love (WR): Committed to Dayton
Brandon Martin (DE): Committed to Valpo
Nate Schmidt (DT): Committed to Kenyon

I also think I should mention that junior TE Eli Jacon-Duffy has started to see his recruitment pick up with offers from Akron, Kent State, Bucknell, and Eastern Michigan. With the way it’s starting off for him, we might see yet another Power 5 player in the already star studded class of 2024. Congrats Eli!

Sorry for spamming, but we’ve got two more additions to signing day. Alec Weeder, RB, has committed to Ohio Dominican and Ryan Mechley, WR, has committed to Mercyhurst. That makes 17 commits in the class of 2023, one of, if not the highest number of seniors playing college ball in Moeller history.

What I have so far:

CINCINNATI MOELLER
1 - (H) Ben Davis (IN)
2 - (H) Fort Wayne Dwenger (IN)
3 - @ East Central (IN)
4 -
5 - (H) Cincinnati St. Xavier
6 - (H) Cincinnati LaSalle
7 - @ Cincinnati Elder
8 -
9 - @ Lakewood St. Edward
10 - @ Detroit King
Hdvhsmgr—Any update on the week 4 opponent? I know the potential opponent was waiting on a few things. Week 8, I assume was Clev St I? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for spamming, but we’ve got two more additions to signing day. Alec Weeder, RB, has committed to Ohio Dominican and Ryan Mechley, WR, has committed to Mercyhurst. That makes 17 commits in the class of 2023, one of, if not the highest number of seniors playing college ball in Moeller history.
That is a great number but not the highest number of seniors moving on to play college football. Go and look at the Media Guide and you will see that back in the 70's and 80's there were 25-30 players each year moving on to play college football. Coach Faust did a great job getting any player who wanted to play college football an offer. Looks as if Coach Elder's college connections, along with the talent that we have playing, are doing great things for Moeller High School and the Football Program. The 2023 season is going to be exciting. GBM!