2023 Football Opponent Results

You think they should recruit. and that is wrong. i dont care if other schools do it does not make it right.
I think they should market themselves more broadly, to all students. I’ve explicitly said they should not directly recruit athletes and/or offer them comped tuition.

The Feeder kids alone aren’t enough to build a sustainable competitive program. They’re a solid foundation, but Elder needs 1 or 2 special athletes in each class to really elevate the program. It’s painfully evident this yr with the lack of RBs,

Kid that's good at football from Visitation (or any other westside school) - "can't wait to get him to Elder, I've been talking Elder up to him since he was 3, the next generation is looking fantastic, football camps at Elder since 3rd grade, played a million games in the Pit already, etc, etc

Kid that's good at football from the east side - "we don't recruit, that's cheating, we don't do that, that's immoral and wrong"

You've literally been recruiting hundreds of westside kids with sports leading the way for a hundred years. But the second an outsider with any talent comes in, it's cheating.

So odd here.

I think they should market themselves more broadly, to all students. I’ve explicitly said they should not directly recruit athletes and/or offer them comped tuition.
They already do that with the westside kids. Of course athletics is used as a recruiting tool. This is the dumbest "rule" in the world.

Athletics is an ENORMOUS draw to get kids to Elder, and anyone saying anything different is just being obtuse.

The "cheating" line has all but been erased with open borders. Stop making excuses.

Last edited:
Elder really isn't any different, they're just reactive to it instead of being proactive.

You have seen them expand a little bit because they have HAD to. And yes, athletics has played a part in that.

Others school have been more pro-active in their outreach, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's completely within the rules to recruit the whole city (and beyond).

GCYL had their preseason scrimmage at Elder this weekend, many of the schools outside the westside were there, did anyone attend, was there any outreach to player that stood out that may not bleed purple already

GCYL had their preseason scrimmage at Elder this weekend, many of the schools outside the westside were there, did anyone attend, was there any outreach to player that stood out that may not bleed purple already
That would be against the rules. It’s up to the parents/players to initiate contact. Unless you’re St Eds, then you can do whatever you want with zero consequences.

I was at the Visi/Vols scrimmage. Visi has some good players, a few of which are X kids. Honestly, they destroyed the Vols. The Vols I think are pretty average.

There were two other teams scrimmaging at the same time (Cov Cath I think and some other team I didn't know). Both of those teams looked pretty good, especially the team I didn't know. They weren't a westside team.

And for the record, I didn't see any Elder coaches in attendance, if that means anything (or they were somewhere else watching like the press box).

Last edited:
Alot of people have this response, but then nothing ever comes from it from a performance perspective.

People hate on Omar because he is right. The talent level at Elder is down, and not close to the state contenders.

That never used to be the case. Alot of people said the talent would drop after the 2023s, and they have been dead right so far. You can't compete with Elder's schedule without some elite athletes, because 60% of their schedule has them.
I was at the Visi/Vols scrimmage. Visi has some good players, a few of which are X kids. Honestly, they destroyed the Vols. The Vols I think are pretty average.

There were two other teams scrimmaging at the same time (Cov Cath I think and some other team I didn't know). Both of those teams looked pretty good, especially the team I didn't know. They weren't a westside team.

And for the record, I didn't see any Elder coaches in attendance, if that means anything (or they were somewhere else watching like the press box).
Who Cares!

By 8th grade yr 99% of boys have their mind made up where their going to high school. Elder coaches already know who some of the stand out players are. There’s lots of 8th grade stand outs that never start after freshman year and vise versa with kids developing late.

There's 7th graders on the field too.

It's fine that Elder's coaches don't play this game, but don't criticize other coaches who make the effort. They aren't doing anything wrong.

I have no issue if Elder chooses not to have their coaches help with getting kids to Elder, but that doesn't make other schools wrong that do it. It's an essential part of the enrollment and (legal) recruiting process with open borders.

By 8th grade yr 99% of boys have their mind made up where they’re going to high school. Elder coaches already know who some of the stand out players are. There’s lots of 8th grade stand outs that never start after freshman year and vise versa with kids developing late.
That’s a fallacy. You have kids who do develop late, but it’s not as common. It’s similar to 3* recruits in college who develop into AAs and 1st round picks. There’s specific examples, but on the whole, teams with more 5* are winning titles. Typically, the better players as 8th graders & Frosh/JV level are the better players on Varsity.

That’s a fallacy. You have kids who do develop late, but it’s not as common. It’s similar to 3* recruits in college who develop into AAs and 1st round picks. There’s specific examples, but on the whole, teams with more 5* are winning titles. Typically, the better players as 8th graders & Frosh/JV level are the better players on Varsity.
The schools that view this as a fallacy are the schools that don't do a very good job of developing deep bench strength. Even the best programs in the country develop everyone because it's necessary.

I’m pretty sure the coaches are focusing on Neumann & Gorreti. There’s at least 4 starters on Elders Varsity playing right now that didn’t go to Elder feeder schools. Another Sophomore who’s brother who was a standout at Lasalle.

How about Elders back up qb last year from the East Side. He happened to be the best 8th grader in the League and Start Varsity for Walnut Hills as a Sophomore. Transferred to Elder & Barely played last season.

I’m pretty sure the coaches are focusing on Neumann & Gorreti. There’s at least 4 starters on Elders Varsity playing right now that didn’t go to Elder feeder schools. Another Sophomore who’s brother who was a standout at Lasalle.

How about Elders back up qb last year from the East Side. He happened to be the best 8th grader in the League and Start Varsity for Walnut Hills as a Sophomore. Transferred to Elder & Barely played last season.
Dugan would make at least 5 starters…..IHM

IMO, all kids from the GCYL are feeders kids, and are all comparable, outside of the 1-2 true standouts you get every so often. I don't see those kids as any different than the westside feeder kids.

What Omar wants are the D1 kids at the skill positions, like what PN, Moe and Eds (even LaSalle) have. It's not happening.

Correct and they need more of those kids.

Ramsey was standing by the corner of the end zone closest to the concession stand up front when I walked in. He certainly wasn't chatting up any players, though.

Visi eighth grade >> Vols eighth grade
Vols seventh grade >>>> Visi seventh grade

The other scrimmage was CovCath 8th grade (only) vs. St. Michael, which hasn't been that great with these two classes historically. CovCath and Visi will be the best DI varsity teams this year.

This is insanity.
I have not been called insane yet on here but have been told I am “out of touch”.
but please answer- when Schachleiter comes back:
Does Brass go to the bench the rest of the year.
Does Schack lose his job and sit the bench.
Does Brass go to running back.
Does Brass go to H back or defense.
???
And no fair saying Ramsey will figure it out. This forum is about opinions so yours is required. And you already know mine- Brass to running back this week. The frosh or Roden starts at qb.

and insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Let’s have fun we are all in this together.

I have not been called insane yet on here but have been told I am “out of touch”.
???
And no fair saying Ramsey will figure it out. This forum is about opinions so yours is required. And you already know mine- Brass to running back this week. The frosh or Roden starts at qb.

and insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Let’s have fun we are all in this together.
We will turbo clock this team this week anyway. They are division 3A out of 6A in Pennsylvania 3A has a max of 214 male students. McNicholas is bigger.

???

I need the people who think the personnel from last week should stay the same to explain their logic. How many games can they win this yr with zero run game? Not many.

PN’s Front 7 is nothing special outside of 1 player. Eds, Moe, both Xs have significantly better front 7s. You’re basically forfeiting those games if you don’t make a change. And that’s not accounting for how clearly Brass was banged up by the end of the game.

Last edited:
And the run game struggles don’t fall entirely on the RB, the OL did not play well either.

???

I don’t know but I know he’s not going to switch positions to a position he’s never played for a freshman to start instead.