2023 Boro Fan Almanac

I agree with you, actually. I am taking Hermes, but I think Shore has what it takes to win as well. A few people on here have made the assumption that the ref cost Shore a state title last year. I agree that the call was a little iffy, but it wasn't horrendous, and Hermes was a returning state champion. Why the assumption Shore was beating him? Not saying you made that assumption, I am saying others on here have. I have zero connection to either wrestler, I just want to make that clear and up front. No bias from me.
The call was horrific. Refs need to take the Hippocratic Oath. Shore beats Hermes. Hermes is a stud, to be sure. But I’m familiar with both.

For starters he beat the #2 ranked DII 120. You are clearly a troll though, so I won't waste more time on that silly comment.
Hmmm…you called me a troll for suggesting that your man crush 120 was an easy favorite for a title sans Hermes/Shore. I noticed he took 5th. Hope that crow tastes delicious.

Hmmm…you called me a troll for suggesting that your man crush 120 was an easy favorite for a title sans Hermes/Shore. I noticed he took 5th. Hope that crow tastes delicious.
Are you slow? What you said proves my point even further. The kid that took 5th in D3 beat the kid who just placed 2nd in D2, which was the entire point. I said he would've been the projected state champ if it weren't for Hermes and Shore. That is also true.

Last edited:
If character was a factor in the outcome, Shore was the easy winner. But, why did he take neutral in the third?
fair, but shore is the best on his feet, i’d say 7/10 he’s better than hermes on the feet. coop is not as good as hermes on top and bottom. also momentum shift if coop takes him down. idk. i see your point tho bm

Borofan, you do an incredible job. God bless you and the unseen sacrifices you make to serve the wrestling community in Ohio.

As a fact, my son well outperformed his ranking, which I sensed he would. Whenever I clicked the rankings, your level of care and effort emanated from the screen.

I have appreciated your work all season.
The others who share disdain or derision may have merely misplaced their prescriptions or their priorities.

fair, but shore is the best on his feet, i’d say 7/10 he’s better than hermes on the feet. coop is not as good as hermes on top and bottom. also momentum shift if coop takes him down. idk. i see your point tho bm
Considering the fact that Hermes scored a 5 point move from his feet against Shore, and Shore didn't score a single offensive point against Hermes, I'd say you are obviously way off base.

The reality is that Shore is an explosive, aggressive wrestler. Shore looks great on his feet against guys that he is better than, because he gets after it at a high pace. However, most people who really know both wrestlers, knew that Hermes would shut Shore's offense down pretty easily on their feet and there wasn't any way Shore could win on the mat. What you also saw is that Hermes is also better on their feet. Shore is a great wrestler, don't get me wrong. Just don't confuse Shore's normal aggressiveness with being better than Hermes on their feet. Hermes simply takes a much more measured approach to his matches.

Better on his feet yet failed to take Hermes down…. Makes sense.
I have absolutely no dog in this fight, but through the first two periods Shore was the aggressor in neutral and had several good attacks whereas Hermes had none that I recall. Based on that very limited sample size, the decision to go neutral made sense if there was concern about being able to get out from bottom.

Who made the biggest jump from your predictions to actual placement?
For ranked guys, I would say Greenwood from Beachwood. He was #18 and finished 2nd. He had a couple “bad” losses at 157, but really settled in nicely at 150 later in the season.

Austin Sellers from Dayton Christian was unranked/non-honorable mention and placed 8th at 175 in D3. I believe he was the only unranked guy to place. There seems to be one every year. He was listed weekly in my previews for DC’s notable wrestlers, but Troy looked very deep at 175, so I didn’t list him (dumb decision on my part).

I have absolutely no dog in this fight, but through the first two periods Shore was the aggressor in neutral and had several good attacks whereas Hermes had none that I recall. Based on that very limited sample size, the decision to go neutral made sense if there was concern about being able to get out from bottom.
I’ll give you he’s more aggressive. But outside of 2 maybe 3 attacks all shore was doing was tying up and pushing trying to get a stall call which I think is the main reason he took neutral to try and get that second stall. I don’t think shore scores on Hermes on their feet.

I’ll give you he’s more aggressive. But outside of 2 maybe 3 attacks all shore was doing was tying up and pushing trying to get a stall call which I think is the main reason he took neutral to try and get that second stall. I don’t think shore scores on Hermes on their feet.
Good points, don’t disagree with any of that.