2023 Boro Fan Almanac

Wow. What a log jam in DIII 120. At a glance I'm seeing 6 or 7 returning state placers and a slew of talent underneath. I think you may have 9-25 mixed up quite a bit, but wow that's a lot of talent. I saw Romano this year at N. Canton. Hard to believe he's only ranked 4th. Really speaks for the level of talent above him. Attisano would be an easy favorite for State champ most years. Hermes and Shore at the top of that weight is the most anticipated matchup in the entire state tournament. I was sort of leaning Shore due to how dominant he has looked and then Hermes bumps up to 126 and beats the D1 #1. Incredible.

I also see 3 kids, if I'm not mistaken, ranked in the top 9 who are in DIII due to the division realignment dropping down from DII.

Surprised to see kids dropping from 126. That weight looks wide open under the obvious favorite Campbell. Especially for the kids who's goal is to make it to State.

So I think we all agree Brakeman is the GOAT. What he put together in pre internet days was amazing to say the least.

However, i put forth that Borofan has taken Ohio wrestling a large step forward. From his rankings/predictions to weekly tournament summaries, class ranks, everything. With the internet, access to results and data, and help from the wrestling community, rankings have gone next level. It really is a great thing............ from the hard core wrestling fan to the new kids, dads, families.

I am not being paid for these comments. lol

So I think we all agree Brakeman is the GOAT. What he put together in pre internet days was amazing to say the least.

However, i put forth that Borofan has taken Ohio wrestling a large step forward. From his rankings/predictions to weekly tournament summaries, class ranks, everything. With the internet, access to results and data, and help from the wrestling community, rankings have gone next level. It really is a great thing............ from the hard core wrestling fan to the new kids, dads, families.

I am not being paid for these comments. lol
i can’t say he’s the goat. i do think boro is the goat. i think brakeman crawled so others could walk. (you get the analogy)

The only national caliber 120 in OH is Blaze. There is not another one nationally ranked. Butler and Hermes would probably be next in line, and both have lost in-season to Kade Kluce from Dundee, who is not a ranked kid.

The only national caliber 120 in OH is Blaze. There is not another one nationally ranked. Butler and Hermes would probably be next in line, and both have lost in-season to Kade Kluce from Dundee, who is not a ranked kid.

Probable 4x Michigan state champ Kade Kluce. Must be a deep weight nationally at 120. I’ve never seen a more talented put down wrestler than Adam Butler. Meanwhile, Hermes is set to compete at the next level for Rutgers.

Maybe these unranked guys from Ohio at 120 can follow in the path of Jaxon Joy. Joy dnp at Ironman in 2021 at 120. He’s now ranked #8 nationally a season later at 132.

making quarters at fargo is not national caliber?

we’ll see when shore beats hermes

I think you're putting too much weight on being "nationally ranked". Blaze is ranked #2 nationally on Flo. He beat Hermes 6-2. We are talking about a 4 point match. Hermes was recruited and has committed to a D1 Big 10 school. I'd say he's a pretty decent talent. Some may even say, national caliber. I don't think Rutgers brought him in with the hopes that he'd be able to solely compete in Ohio.

i can’t say he’s the goat. i do think boro is the goat. i think brakeman crawled so others could walk. (you get the analogy)
I appreciate Boro, but we have to be real. Brakeman was so in tune with seemingly all of the state and wrestlers. He had inside info on everyone, he wrote beautiful summaries for the weight divisions. He had much more to say about many wrestlers, not just the top couple in each weight. He knew when to let a bad match slide for a kid when looking at the overall picture.

Boro seems completely results driven. A kid loses, he simply goes below the kid who beat him, regardless of the entire body of work. Much more cold, cut and dry. This isn't a knock on Billy, we all appreciate him, but Brakeman was on another level.

I do agree that the tournament information, and predictions throughout the season are awesome. I honestly find that much more interesting than the actual rankings.

D3 165 Connor Smith from Gibsonburg not wrestling shocks me. Whatever the reason, I wish him the best. Heck of an athlete.

Thanks Billy. Another fantastic year of keeping us informed weekly.

I appreciate Boro, but we have to be real. Brakeman was so in tune with seemingly all of the state and wrestlers. He had inside info on everyone, he wrote beautiful summaries for the weight divisions. He had much more to say about many wrestlers, not just the top couple in each weight. He knew when to let a bad match slide for a kid when looking at the overall picture.

Boro seems completely results driven. A kid loses, he simply goes below the kid who beat him, regardless of the entire body of work. Much more cold, cut and dry. This isn't a knock on Billy, we all appreciate him, but Brakeman was on another level.

I do agree that the tournament information, and predictions throughout the season are awesome. I honestly find that much more interesting than the actual rankings.
fair i wasn’t around for him ig my opinion may not be calid

What makes you so confident rocco?
Yeah, I don't get it either. Some people act like Hermes is some bum, and Shore was a lock to beat him last year, before that slam cost him the finals. Hermes is tough, and probably going to have a better college career, imo. I'm taking Hermes.

I have to agree with you here. Brakeman brought a sense of lyrical magic to his reports. He would bring history and philosophy into his reports. Kids that were ranked 15th in a weight class, could still have his name and a brief history of his season(s) in the report. He was very detailed and he gave information on everyone. When he picked an upset at a weight class, or he picked a kid to win that had losses to guys below him, he gave a very detailed explanation as to why he did that. That is what I miss most about Brakeman reports.

That being said, we were completely spoiled by Brakeman. What he brought was unmatched by anyone else in the country. Honestly, what borofan and bucksman do now, is still pretty much unmatched throughout the country. I have yet to find a prediction and rankings report for any other state, that matches what we have here in Ohio to this day. I feel blessed to have Boro do what he does, even though I thought his year long #2 D1 120 ranking was absurd :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I don't get it either. Some people act like Hermes is some bum, and Shore was a lock to beat him last year, before that slam cost him the finals. Hermes is tough, and probably going to have a better college career, imo. I'm taking Hermes.
never said hermes was a bum. just saying shore doesn’t get enough respect