I will admit Seton impressed me a little. I still think they get more help from the fact that so many refs call offside wrong then they should, but they have had a great season. Good for them. I have said all along MND was the one to beat. They were, and as of today, they still are. I expected Oak Hills and Mason to be the GMC standouts and they were. I expected Milford to set the tone in the ECC and they did. SUA got a surprise to me bump from Wampler who I did not expect to play this year and her posting numbers North of Kohl's would have made any team better and it did just that for SUA. The GGCL had a great year for them. But I still stand behind my take on them coming into this year without Wampler who helped SUA rise from the ashes. And for what it's worth I believe MND won the GGCL in September. That's crazy.

Last edited:
Explain what you mean by "so many call offsides wrong"?

Ive only watched Seton play a couple times but in each game they push that back line up so far.

Im told its burned them a few times this season (when the refs miss offsides and it costs them goals) so it goes both ways.

Explain what you mean by "so many call offsides wrong"?

Ive only watched Seton play a couple times but in each game they push that back line up so far.

Im told its burned them a few times this season (when the refs miss offsides and it costs them goals) so it goes both ways.
Even in non Seton games I still see AR's call offsides way to often when either an offsides player is not involved in the play or more often the ball was played before the player called offside was offside. And for sure it can go both ways, but I see it more often against the attacking player. Teams have learned to make runs in front of the Seton line and break through after the ball is struck but because they are in motion and get to the ball first they pop the flag. But either way Seton is talented they deserve to be playing this weekend.

I am struck by how people make these grand generalizations (this league is better than that league, this team is the best in the region, etc.) based on these tournament games. In every game I have seen, the margin of victory is razor thin. A ball off the post by 6 inches, a call by the ref, a deflection, one save by the keeper, an injury to a key player, etc. is the difference in the game. While I won't go so far as to call it luck, most games are decided on some very random events on the field, and the "better" team does not always win nor is it even apparent who is the better team. To win State, a team needs a lot of these things to go their way and they are really out of their control. Congrats to the winners, I am not taking anything away from them, but let's keep things in perspective when over generalizing and making grand statements based on a tourney game.

I am struck by how people make these grand generalizations (this league is better than that league, this team is the best in the region, etc.) based on these tournament games. In every game I have seen, the margin of victory is razor thin. A ball off the post by 6 inches, a call by the ref, a deflection, one save by the keeper, an injury to a key player, etc. is the difference in the game. While I won't go so far as to call it luck, most games are decided on some very random events on the field, and the "better" team does not always win nor is it even apparent who is the better team. To win State, a team needs a lot of these things to go their way and they are really out of their control. Congrats to the winners, I am not taking anything away from them, but let's keep things in perspective when over generalizing and making grand statements based on a tourney game.
Well said! But it's also worth mentioning that not all games have razor thin margins, and the longer a winning streak continues (especially during tournament play), the less you can blame on random events. Great teams simply make fewer game-changing mistakes.