2022 Three Rivers Conference thread

The ME defense plays tough and physical, if the offense played anything like the defense they wouldn’t be a half bad team.

I went to a MVL football game tonight and they called a intentional grounding on Butler when the QB over threw his receiver 15 yards down field.

intentional grounding could be called in this scenario, provided the QB stayed in the pocket during the play.

there is a gif in the above article that pretty well shows that very scenario.

intentional grounding could be called in this scenario, provided the QB stayed in the pocket during the play.

there is a gif in the above article that pretty well shows that very scenario.
Great information. I never knew the qb had to immediately spike the ball to avoid intentional grounding in a time conserving situation. Learned a couple things from your post.

The ME defense plays tough and physical, if the offense played anything like the defense they wouldn’t be a half bad team.
Milton was up 35-0 in the first quarter. I thought they were bad all around. Troy Christian was worse.

Couple of observations from watching Milton’s game vs Bethel. The Bees are going to be very good in a couple of years. They have a nice core group of kids playing there. Milton was just way too experienced and had too many athletes for the Bees to compete with. In 23-24, look out for Bethel. They are the best League opponent we’ve faced yet. Well-coached.
Number 2, Milton looked out of sorts last night in the 1st quarter. Luckily, Bethel was worse. Youth is getting a bunch of playing time. Three new kids got td’s vs Bethel. Nice to see that.
Overall, MU has a bunch to work on before Riverside and the playoffs.

Last edited:
I’m not saying they are world beaters. Riverside out gained them 550 to 90 yards. I’m just saying they should be much better than they are, they have the players.

Riverside will host Cincinnati College Prep Academy this week for senior night. A team the Pirates hosted in round 2 of the playoffs last season. Happy the Pirates picked up a team that's going to make the playoffs. CCPA seems to offer a lot more computer points than Covington would, which is a sentence I never thought I'd type...

Riverside will host Cincinnati College Prep Academy this week for senior night. A team the Pirates hosted in round 2 of the playoffs last season. Happy the Pirates picked up a team that's going to make the playoffs. CCPA seems to offer a lot more computer points than Covington would, which is a sentence I never thought I'd type...
Riverside will finish 7-3 and make a deeper playoff run. D7 is really open due to Marion Local moving up.
Ansonia is a good team that Riverside lost to.

Riverside will finish 7-3 and make a deeper playoff run. D7 is really open due to Marion Local moving up.
I would disagree with it being open. Region 28 will come down to NB, Minster, or Loramie. With the only other team in the state that will give one of those three a game being Newark. Personally think NB walks to state.

New Bremen and even Minster will still be two very strong MAC schools, especially New Bremen. Ansonia, Fort Loramie, and Mechanicsburg should also add in good competition.

I would disagree with it being open. Region 28 will come down to NB, Minster, or Loramie. With the only other team in the state that will give one of those three a game being Newark. Personally think NB walks to state.
New Bremen certainly showed they are a very improved team vs Coldwater.

Shows you how much I know about D7. 😂.
I’m still a believer in Riverside and their program. I’m very impressed with them and their fan base. I was proven very wrong, as I am many times, about this fine school.
I think Milton and Riverside carry the TRC through the next several years in the playoffs. Bethel will not compete in D4, but I think they get much better going forward. Northridge is not a quality program. They are benefiting from the TRC being down quite a bit. I see Bethel and Northridge being similar. Thoughts?

Northridge is going through many changes on the administration side right now. I hope they make a difference for the better but, I will not hold my breath. Its time for a new coach.

If the Ridge had any ability to throw the ball they would be dangerous. They were better last year.

Their DB's like to get too involved in the run game, and can get themselves burnt even though they are faster than everyone they play.

But they have some great athletes.

Idk enough about it to know if Smith is a bad coach. From what you could hear there coaches yelling from the sideline, they are coaching the fundamental things. I think maybe an offensive coordinator who would have freedom to do what he wants would get them over the hump.

D7 is MAC heavy meaning it's hard to get past any of them to make a decent run. Hopefully the seeding works out and round 2/3 NB and mister/Lormie will have to play and get one of them bad boys outta there.
I wish OHSAA would adopt the PA model where the state champion goes up a division the next year. I am not sure how long you stay up a division, would have to do more research on it. I think it would make the smaller divisions more competitive and would be interesting to see how high Coldwater and Marion would climb.

Shows you how much I know about D7. 😂.
I’m still a believer in Riverside and their program. I’m very impressed with them and their fan base. I was proven very wrong, as I am many times, about this fine school.
I think Milton and Riverside carry the TRC through the next several years in the playoffs. Bethel will not compete in D4, but I think they get much better going forward. Northridge is not a quality program. They are benefiting from the TRC being down quite a bit. I see Bethel and Northridge being similar. Thoughts?
Let me give you the low down on D7 playoffs. 80% of the time the state champion comes out of region 28, and I believe since 2008 all but two times the region 28 champ has been a MAC school.

If the Ridge had any ability to throw the ball they would be dangerous. They were better last year.

Their DB's like to get too involved in the run game, and can get themselves burnt even though they are faster than everyone they play.

But they have some great athletes.

Idk enough about it to know if Smith is a bad coach. From what you could hear there coaches yelling from the sideline, they are coaching the fundamental things. I think maybe an offensive coordinator who would have freedom to do what he wants would get them over the hump.
I agree with you. I know Smith is not a "bad coach". He has dedicated his life to the school. Having played under him when he was an assistant and having a son play under him as a head coach, I think a fresh face at the helm would get much better results. 3 out of the last four years are the only winning seasons in almost 20 years as head coach. And like Bless em said " They are benefiting from the TRC being down quite a bit." I think the program would benefit with him staying on but, someone else needs to lead the charge. IMO

I agree with you. I know Smith is not a "bad coach". He has dedicated his life to the school. Having played under him when he was an assistant and having a son play under him as a head coach, I think a fresh face at the helm would get much better results. 3 out of the last four years are the only winning seasons in almost 20 years as head coach. And like Bless em said " They are benefiting from the TRC being down quite a bit." I think the program would benefit with him staying on but, someone else needs to lead the charge. IMO
Northridge is one of the toughest jobs in the Dayton area. they have no tradition and when that’s the case, it’s hard to get kids to buy in. it’s even harder when you’re in a rough area where kids unfortunately have a lot going on outside of football. it takes a long time for a coach to build trust in a place like that and once they do, they will reap the results. in Northridges case, making the playoffs and getting knocked out first round each year is probably the peak for the program, and that’s fine. they’re super talented most years, buts it’s a hard place to win due to other factors. i think if Northridge brought someone else in they would risk having another 5 rough years.

Agreed. Smith is a quality person but I’m not sold on his coaching. Northridge has talent, speed and the facilities. If they get a coach, like a Bret Pearce, they will be very dangerous. I use Pearce because I know more about him than any other coach around. He’s quality and he knows how to build a culture. When I played vs Northridge in the late 70s early 80s they were atrocious. They are much better now.

So, what's the status with Covington, obviously they shouldn't bring their coach back, who does everyone think they should go after to get the program back to where it was just a few short years ago. I know some one of the top of my head i would go after if I was them. Just want to get other people's thoughts on it?

Is Covington playing Bradford tomorrow night? If so, why would they have cancelled their game with Riverside?
Covington canceled out of the top three teams un the TRC . Would Bradford have continued to practice for 6 weeks without an opponent? Would not surprise me to see two teams play each other twice, but not when one of the teams had not played in several weeks.

Bradford has played a few jv teams since the played Covington.. if Riverside was given the option to find another opponent then it seems like a good option for everyone.
I do know that Bradford played the TVS JV team last Saturday. Not sure how many other games they've played.