2022 Three Rivers Conference thread

Peewee has kids being coached, good or bad. Then they get to wear all the equipment. When they become 7th graders, they are not biting at the bit to finally get a helmet , they have been pigeon holed into a position, and they have developed bad habits because of lack of physical/mental maturity. I say the cons out way the pros of a little more football knowledge/ skills.

Milton is fortunate to have Wes Martin who comes in and runs a camp for youth players in the summer. He uses high school players to help. They get time with the kids and give a talk to them afterwards. It’s really something that Wes developed with the HS coaches and the pee wee/rec. council coaches. Hopefully, it will build fundamentals and interest for several years. Good quality leadership from a legend and the current varsity players.
I see a day coming, when his pro career is over, Martin becoming a coach at MU.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think pee wee is killing many kids desire when they get to 7th grade and higher.
i think youth football is needed in a way. but there should be no tackling, and the time commitment should be less. injuries/time is what is really causing the burnout mentioned. i’m all for flag football, then let the kids get in pads a year before they get to middle school

Numbers even at larger programs seem to be falling off for a variety of reasons.

More options for kids to form bonds/community other ways than sports
Safety
Pay to play
And the thing many I've talked with are seeing is flat "Burn out" for a lot of kids.

Why do MAC schools constantly have 70+ kid teams in similar communities to a covington etc? Many I've talked with point to their lack of youth football. Some communities youth football starts early summer, even before HS practices and goes later than hs programs, while playing on the varsity field and in some cases having much nicer equipment.

Why play HS when you have a super bowl ring from little league? Or all you did was run at each other in practice to see who could knock the other over. Loser has to run. Or you got hurt. I know some friends who's kids play 12-15 games in youth football, including a tournament (in 1 weekend like baseball). Things that until deep playoff runs/college that do not take place anywhere but youth.

While your D1 and 2 schools will feel the impact slower. They are feeling it. 500 boys in a graduating class and only 15 play football? That is not a good percentage. Now put that percentage on a school with 100 boys per class (that would be 3 per class). Small schools are going to feel the crunch much faster.
What school are you referring to with 500 boys in a graduating class? Mason has one of the largest enrollments in state and had over 20 seniors in their program last year. Comparing D1 programs to D6/D7 is an apples to oranges comparison. The pressure to specialize is way higher at a D1 school. Winning the numbers game is nice in some respects, but if your coach to player ratio isn’t good, you run the risk of being a large scale babysitting operation. Factor in many more extracurricular offerings and I don’t think 15-20 seniors is terrible at a D1 school. Most schools in a conference similar to Three Rivers should field teams with 30-50 players. What’s happening at Covington, if factual, will be difficult to recover from with young guys being thrown into the fire too early, creating a cycle of attrition.
Also, is the Troy peewee football tournament still a thing? Playing two to three football games in a weekend isn’t a good idea.

TRC season 2 is 3 weeks away.
Kinda wish MU was closer to the pack just for some good games. Second place is going to be wild. But I enjoy the current MU seniors great kids. I do hope they all go on vacation to the ozarks during tc week.

I think last years playoff performance shows TRC not as weak as folks think.

TC have two scrimmages against solid ansonia and just flat good preble shawnee to give a good indicator were they are at.

Kinda wish MU was closer to the pack just for some good games. Second place is going to be wild. But I enjoy the current MU seniors great kids. I do hope they all go on vacation to the ozarks during tc week.

I think last years playoff performance shows TRC not as weak as folks think.

TC have two scrimmages against solid ansonia and just flat good preble shawnee to give a good indicator were they are at.
i do think the trc is the weakest football conference in the area. Outside of milton (possible regional champs) there’s not much. excited to see how well milton does this year. i hope other programs can get rolling soon as well.

i do think the trc is the weakest football conference in the area. Outside of milton (possible regional champs) there’s not much. excited to see how well milton does this year. i hope other programs can get rolling
Weaker than who? The MAC? of course. WOAC? WOAC has better teams at top, the middle is equal and the bottom is much much worse than the TRC botton. So a draw there? What other small school conferences you comparing to?