2022 Southwestern Buckeye League

At a quick glance, Valley View appears to have really benefited from the realignment. They drop to R20 and see defending DV State Champion, Versailles and Roger Bacon both move out of R20. Even having Coldwater who moved up to DV be in a different region is a benefit.

no doubt valley view is a huge winner. they’re a regional favorite of mine in R20 along with milton union and greeneview.

At a quick glance, Valley View appears to have really benefited from the realignment. They drop to R20 and see defending DV State Champion, Versailles and Roger Bacon both move out of R20. Even having Coldwater who moved up to DV be in a different region is a benefit.
They will have to contend with Brookville, Milton, Purcell Marian and maybe Greeneview. But overall, the region is ripe for the taking. I think the MU-VV game I’in week 2 will be a war. I do think it will give the winner an edge towards #1 seed. Brookville is loaded up from what I hear. Milton’s path is much easier than Valley Views. The SWBL is stronger than the TRC.
Milton likely won’t have a close game all year after Oakwood. They should be healthy by week 11 and deep with experience.

They will have to contend with Brookville, Milton, Purcell Marian and maybe Greeneview. But overall, the region is ripe for the taking. I think the MU-VV game I’in week 2 will be a war. I do think it will give the winner an edge towards #1 seed. Brookville is loaded up from what I hear. Milton’s path is much easier than Valley Views. The SWBL is stronger than the TRC.
Milton likely won’t have a close game all year after Oakwood. They should be healthy by week 11 and deep with experience.
i’m high on Greeneview. they have a shot to win this region. don’t forget Preble Shawnee. i think Purcell Marian isn’t really a contender- they lost to an average Shawnee team in the playoffs last year (by shawnees standards)

i’m high on Greeneview. they have a shot to win this region. don’t forget Preble Shawnee. i think Purcell Marian isn’t really a contender- they lost to an average Shawnee team in the playoffs last year (by shawnees standards)
I'm curious about what makes you high on Greeneview?
Looking at last years' results, nothing really jumps out. Do they return much?

I'm curious about what makes you high on Greeneview?
Looking at last years' results, nothing really jumps out. Do they return much?
they lost 3 starters. they return just about everyone. they came as close as ever to beating a loaded Mechanicsburg team in the playoffs. they have a talented group of seniors coming up. well coached, as well.

All due respect but VV isn’t having to contend with Clinton-Massie, Wyoming, Alter (now D4R16), McNicholas, or Taft anymore. VV isn’t one to celebrate less competition and I’m not disrespecting the D5 teams but let’s call it what it is here.. VVs path in the region is less grueling than being in region 16. VV being in the SWBL and dropping divisions does nothing but benefit them in the points department.

The season hasn’t kicked off, VV has a new coaching staff, but I do tend to agree. The region appears to be a bit of an easier path than the regulars of DIV. But nothing is a given either. The new staff has a lot to improve upon. I would expect them to compete very well in DV.

DV as a whole took a bit of a hit with both Versailles and Kirkland moving to DVI. Gaining Coldwater is not a consolation prize. The Cavs are a quality contender year in and year out.

can someone who’s in the know explain the new league scheduling format to me?

i saw some schools are playing non-league games in weeks 4 or 5 starting in 2023. why is that? there’s 12 teams in the league.

and who decided on the few crossovers that remain? decent amount of rivalry crossover games are no more.

I am not "in the know". But I do know that as of right now, it is not a 6/6 split. It is 5/7. My assumption is that they are looking for a partner for Talawanda so that they can go 7/7. Nobody on the small side of the split (VV, Eaton, Brookville, Waynesville, Madison, Carlisle, Oakwood) wants to go on the big side (Ross, Edgewood, Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe)

I also assume that the crossovers scheduled can be waived if both teams agree. That was the case in the old SWBL. You might be seeing a crossover date where both teams agreed they could do better.

I am not "in the know". But I do know that as of right now, it is not a 6/6 split. It is 5/7. My assumption is that they are looking for a partner for Talawanda so that they can go 7/7. Nobody on the small side of the split (VV, Eaton, Brookville, Waynesville, Madison, Carlisle, Oakwood) wants to go on the big side (Ross, Edgewood, Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe)

I also assume that the crossovers scheduled can be waived if both teams agree. That was the case in the old SWBL. You might be seeing a crossover date where both teams agreed they could do better.
why not just put oakwood in the “big” division and be done with it? they’re D3 in football this year.

in terms of teams scheduling non-league in weeks 4/5, it looks like it was the 5 “big” schools. all 7 “small” schools had conference games booked weeks 4-10

why not just put oakwood in the “big” division and be done with it? they’re D3 in football this year.

in terms of teams scheduling non-league in weeks 4/5, it looks like it was the 5 “big” schools. all 7 “small” schools had conference games booked weeks 4-10
Oakwood is not ever going to be the small fish. They will remain the big fish as long as they can. Football is an after thought there. It used to be #1 when Howard Sales was coach.
I’m not understanding why the SWBL doesn’t move to get a northern Cincinnati school on board. Interesting that Oakwood keeps growing and yet still plays in the small school side. I agree with you ghs. We will see how good they are in week 3 at West Milton. That could be great points MU.

Does anyone know what Eaton's numbers look like this year? I was wondering if the success they found last season would encourage more young men to try out for the team.

Oakwood is not ever going to be the small fish. They will remain the big fish as long as they can. Football is an after thought there. It used to be #1 when Howard Sales was coach.
I’m not understanding why the SWBL doesn’t move to get a northern Cincinnati school on board. Interesting that Oakwood keeps growing and yet still plays in the small school side. I agree with you ghs. We will see how good they are in week 3 at West Milton. That could be great points MU.
who would you suggest?

the SWBL needs Talawanda. but after that, who else?

dream scenario is they poach west carrollton from the MVL, and the MVL takes on Trotwood. that will never happen.

i still think adding Wilmington and Clinton Massie would complete that league.

easiest solution- swap Waynesville for Talawanda. that evens out the divisions. Waynesville can go to the SBAAC where they belong.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Eaton's numbers look like this year? I was wondering if the success they found last season would encourage more young men to try out for the team.
I do not know for sure, but I would guess Eaton has good numbers this year. I did hear that their success may have encouraged a few players from TVS to move over for this upcoming season.

who would you suggest?

the SWBL needs Talawanda. but after that, who else?

dream scenario is they poach west carrollton from the MVL, and the MVL takes on Trotwood. that will never happen.

i still think adding Wilmington and Clinton Massie would complete that league.

easiest solution- swap Waynesville for Talawanda. that evens out the divisions. Waynesville can go to the SBAAC where they belong.
I would think Talawanda is a no-brainer. Mount Healthy could be an option if Harrison is being thrown around. Many options. D2 schools are all committed to conferences. I like the West Carrollton scenario but I doubt Trotwood is invited.

I do not know for sure, but I would guess Eaton has good numbers this year. I did hear that their success may have encouraged a few players from TVS to move over for this upcoming season.
TVS players aren’t a huge haul for Eaton. They already have great talent there.

I would think Talawanda is a no-brainer. Mount Healthy could be an option if Harrison is being thrown around. Many options. D2 schools are all committed to conferences. I like the West Carrollton scenario but I doubt Trotwood is invited.
personally, i wouldn’t add anyone south of the current footprint. mount healthy doesn’t fit at all. Harrison fits the bill for everything but location. can’t find a scenario where Brookville and Harrison should ever be in a league together.

this is what i think has to happen for the SWBL to work out in the long term

Big Schools
Franklin
Monroe
Bellbrook
Ross
Edgewood
Talawanda

Small Schools
Eaton
Oakwood
Brookville
Valley View
Carlisle
Madison

plenty of rivalries in each division as well as crossovers

How close is Middletown to being D2 in football. Is it too crazy to put them in the SWBL as a partner with Talawanda? Geographically they fit better than anyone mentioned. It’s not like this is the Middletown from 2008-2012, competitively they would be a big fish on paper but are they really a big fish anymore in reality?

How close is Middletown to being D2 in football. Is it too crazy to put them in the SWBL as a partner with Talawanda? Geographically they fit better than anyone mentioned. It’s not like this is the Middletown from 2008-2012, competitively they would be a big fish on paper but are they really a big fish anymore in reality?
not too close. maybe that could work. wouldn’t bet on it ever happening. they have an enrollment of 696

this is what i think has to happen for the SWBL to work out in the long term

Big Schools
Franklin
Monroe
Bellbrook
Ross
Edgewood
Talawanda

Small Schools
Eaton
Oakwood
Brookville
Valley View
Carlisle
Madison

plenty of rivalries in each division as well as crossovers
Waynesville isn’t going to leave unless they have some where to go. Just move then into the small school side, move Oakwood up to the big school side.

They are more like a big Trotwood. I couldn’t see the Middies doing that. I could see Little Miami maybe…but that’s stretch. I could be wrong. Seems Middletown is pretty big.
Waynesville is not going to fit anywhere I but the SWBL and maybe the SAABC(?) that has Clinton County schools. If Bethel keeps growing they will outgrow the TRC. They would be a good addition as a D3-4.
I was told they will be bigger than Tipp in 10-years. That’s crazy.
The SWBL is going to survive and any school in D3-5would love to be part of it. Great communities and traditions.