2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the leagues take on all of this and how much power does the Archdiocese have on making them change, if any?

Are the sports leagues affiliated to the Archdiocese in any way, or do they run completely separate? I've heard they run separate, but I've also heard a pastor can shut things down if he wants, so there is at least some tie in.

Wouldn't be a good idea - talk about power houses trying to be built. Plus the reason for sports is the reason for the Parish - to be together, create a sense of community
Agreed it would be the wild west. But if there's not going to be a consistent approach, who's to say a Lourdes kid can't play for Visi if he's already playing out of his parish family with Jude? And would a pastor really say "no" to a Jude kid who wants to play with Visitation as they are in the same family? What grounds would he have to say no to that?

What are the leagues take on all of this and how much power does the Archdiocese have on making them change, if any?

Are the sports leagues affiliated to the Archdiocese in any way, or do they run completely separate? I've heard they run separate, but I've also heard a pastor can shut things down if he wants, so there is at least some tie in.
At the end of the day, the Priest is 100% responsible for everything that involves Parish activities.

The Golden Rule - the Priest is/ should be a signor on all cash/checking/savings accounts. The Archdiocese mandates that all checking accounts that a Parish has be under the Archdiocese's account at 5/3

At the end of the day, the Priest is 100% responsible for everything that involves Parish activities.
Exactly, so it could render the current football affiliations meaningless.

If a parish family kid wants to play football for his parish family, are they really going to tell them no? If so, what's the point of all of this? This is why I think sports will eventually fall down parish family lines. And yes, it might get ugly.

Exactly, so it could render the current football affiliations meaningless.

If a parish family kid wants to play football for his parish family, are they really going to tell them no? If so, what's the point of all of this? This is why I think sports will eventually fall down parish family lines. And yes, it might get ugly.

The point is there is a priest shortage, and they wanted to align parishes by a family. It's a bigger issue with the smaller parishes shrinking. They have already publicly announced your school and Church was not going away. This is old hat. I don't know why everyone is wasting time talking about it again.

The pastor surely has final say on everything involving the parish, but again they don't care and have bigger things to focus time and energy on. When they see something thriving on their own with no obvious issues, they are not getting their hands dirty.

From my understanding, the league is completely separate from the AD, but the team still falls under the school, in which the Pastor has authority to make decisions such as "shut it down" as you say.

For example, I just can't see a priest denying a Jude kid the right to play for Visitation if he wanted to. How could they defend denying that request?

From my understanding, the league is completely separate from the AD, but the team still falls under the school, in which the Pastor has authority to make decisions such as "shut it down" as you say.
The leagues running separately is what "saved" them initially from the consolidation as they had no one with tribal knowledge that was willing to step up but I would bet on the AD making another run at it - just too much $ in the Athletics coffers. I think (don't know for certain) that the AD has oversite/influence of the Eastside School league (GCYL)

The other side of the coin is the pastor could care less what goes on but limit the amount that is allowed to be maintained in the athletics bank accounts

Uh each league has rules about who you can play for. Go away dumbo.
But again, step outside the "rules" of the league. How can you deny a kid in a family from playing on his family team, even if the league rule says so? Of course a priest/pastor is going to approve that.

"Hey parishioners, I love that we've come together as one and built this great community, but you're not allowed to play football with all of these great people we brought together". It makes no sense.

I sense that the some schools will pivot to the family parish for survival of their programs at some point soon than later and it will likley involve a parish leader. Take it for what its worth. The GCYL is more now than ever more of club football than parish football IMO. Especailly on the varsity level.

I sense that the some schools will pivot to the family parish for survival of their programs at some point soon than later and it will likley involve a parish leader. Take it for what its worth. The GCYL is more now than ever more of club football than parish football IMO. Especailly on the varsity level.
Couldn't agree more - I know alot of people want to hold on to the sentimental views of their parish and teams, but to me, it's inevitable that sports eventually become intertwined within the parish families. It just doesn't make sense for the leagues to continue to run things the same way when everything is changing around them. Eventually that damn will break.

It might take 5-10 years because I know those west-siders love their nostalgia and will fight it to the bone, but it's going to happen eventually.

But again, step outside the "rules" of the league. How can you deny a kid in a family from playing on his family team, even if the league rule says so? Of course a priest/pastor is going to approve that.

"Hey parishioners, I love that we've come together as one and built this great community, but you're not allowed to play football with all of these great people we brought together". It makes no sense.
Archdiocese doesn’t run any of the leagues.

Archdiocese doesn’t run any of the leagues.
Do you read? You're saying the league is going to over-ride the pastor in this situation?

Parish Family - Jude and Visitation
Football Team - Jude and Lourdes

Jude kid asks to play with Visitation because he wants to play with kids in his parish family. Pastor approves it (of course they would). You're saying the league is going to deny this and get away with it? I know you won't respond - mainly because this makes too much sense and you'll do whatever is necessary to keep the status quo, because change is a big scary word.

Of course the priest would approve it, and of course the league would allow it. You can't deny a kid from playing sports with his parish - and to add to that, why would you want to?

Do you read? You're saying the league is going to over-ride the pastor in this situation?

Jude kid asks to play with Visitation because he wants to play with kids in his parish family. Pastor approves it (of course they would). You're saying the league is going to deny this and get away with it? I know you won't respond - mainly because this makes too much sense and you'll do whatever is necessary to keep the status quo, because change is a big scary word.

Why would they want to play with another school in their parish family and not play with the school they go to with their classmates?

Why would they want to play with another school in their parish family and not play with the school they go to with their classmates?
Jude kids can't have friends at Visitation? And really, that shouldn't even be a consideration. Jude and Visitation are one parish now.

Literally, some of the westside leagues have a rule that you have to be a PARISHIONER to play on a sports team. So now the football league is going to say "no" to a parishioner that wants to play on the parish team? Do you people listen to yourselves?

You will defy basic LOGIC just to disagree with me, and it's hilarious.

Couldn't agree more - I know alot of people want to hold on to the sentimental views of their parish and teams, but to me, it's inevitable that sports eventually become intertwined within the parish families. It just doesn't make sense for the leagues to continue to run things the same way when everything is changing around them. Eventually that damn will break.

It might take 5-10 years because I know those west-siders love their nostalgia and will fight it to the bone, but it's going to happen eventually.

I don't think it's about nostalgia. Do you understand there are only 11 players on the field at a time? If they formed football teams based on parish family, you would have 50 kids on the sideline every play while 11 others play. That will never happen, because it's not needed. That's just football. The same with soccer. Then, you have basketball only 5 players on the court at a time.

The Parish family is for Church needs. The schools are separate with separate academics, separate sports, separate festivals, separate boy/girl scouts, etc. all under the same Parish Family. I don't know why that is so hard to understand. Until they would close a school and Church, none of that will change.

Jude kids can't have friends at Visitation? And really, that shouldn't even be a consideration. Jude and Visitation are one parish now.

Literally, some of the westside leagues have a rule that you have to be a PARISHIONER to play on a sports team. So now the football league is going to say "no" to a parishioner that wants to play on the parish team? Do you people listen to yourselves?

You will defy basic LOGIC just to disagree with me, and it's hilarious.

I think you are speaking of things you don't understand, because you are not from Cincinnati and did not go to Elder. I don't know even know how you know about the different parishes and schools. It's not worth the time to reply to your nonsense posts. Have a good day Trey.

I don't think it's about nostalgia. Do you understand there are only 11 players on the field at a time? If they formed football teams based on parish family, you would have 50 kids on the sideline every play while 11 others play.
Why is it that everyone says you can't have more than one team? Jude by itself plus Visi by itself equals 2 teams, yet when they combine, with more kids, it goes down to 1 team? Again, how does that make any sense?

Are daddy's really that scared of johnny losing his QB spot that they really couldn't figure out how to split a team? you people are so short-sighted.

Why is it that everyone says you can't have more than one team? Jude by itself plus Visi by itself equals 2 teams, yet when they combine, with more kids, it goes down to 1 team? Again, how does that make any sense?

Are daddy's really that scared of johnny losing his QB spot that they really couldn't figure out how to split a team? you people are so short-sighted.

Aren't they already separate? I'm confused.

I think you are speaking of things you don't understand, because you are not from Cincinnati and did not go to Elder. I don't know even know how you know about the different parishes and schools. It's not worth the time to reply to your nonsense posts. Have a good day Trey.
It has nothing to do with me not understanding, and that's pretty obvious. You act like this is advanced calculus.

You can't even remotely see the possibility of something different, and it's exactly what I would expect from you. Just as I said, scared to death of change.

It's a completely logical argument, and you can't even fathom it. Sad.

It has nothing to do with me not understanding, and that's pretty obvious. You act like this is advanced calculus.

You can't even remotely see the possibility of something different, and it's exactly what I would expect from you. Just as I said, scared to death of change.

It's a completely logical argument, and you can't even fathom it. Sad.

When has sports or anything school related been Parish based and not school based? Change is okay, but when it's completely not needed it makes zero sense.

When has sports or anything school related been Parish based and not school based? Change is okay, but when it's completely not needed it makes zero sense.
Again, why would a priest deny a parish kid from playing with a team within his own parish if he currently plays with kids on a team outside his parish? You simply dance around this simple question by deflecting to some other nonsense.

I know I'll wait forever for an answer, but we both know the answer is that the priest would allow it. You just won't admit it for some weird reason. So, so weird.

Of course the priest would approve it, and of course the league would allow it. You can't deny a kid from playing sports with his parish - and to add to that, why would you want to?
If the League said no, then probably. The League is separate from the AD. They can and probably have said no to these things already.

Again, why would a priest deny a parish kid from playing with a team within his own parish if he currently plays with kids on a team outside his parish? You simply dance around this simple question by deflecting to some other nonsense.

I know I'll wait forever for an answer, but we both know the answer is that the priest would allow it. You just won't admit it for some weird reason. So, so weird.
Who said the Priest would deny the kid? The League can have rules that aren't reciprocated by the Parish. You understand that's a possibility right?

In this scenario, the Priest would likely agree to allow the kid/family to play for Visitation. The League could still have rules stating that this is not allowed due to the way teams are currently split. Sure this could change down the road and if/when it does you'll likely see teams be separated by grade instead of by level (Pony, Reserve, Varsity) if the numbers allow it. Some Family Parishes will be able to support a 7th grade team and 8th grade team, others will have to combine.

The League is separate from the AD.
Not really - the AD has all of the control. The leagues are conforming to the new charter (prayer, signs, etc, etc). The sports coordinators answer to the parish, and the big one, all of these practices and games are played on Archdiocese property. They can shut it down at any time if they wanted.

So stop make believing sports are separate from the Archdiocese in the current model.

There are two options:

1) Create a vision for sports mirroring the BOL parish families, or
2) Truly be independent

Status quo will lead to more confusion than clarity.

Last edited:
Who said the Priest would deny the kid? The League can have rules that aren't reciprocated by the Parish. You understand that's a possibility right?

In this scenario, the Priest would likely agree to allow the kid/family to play for Visitation. The League could still have rules stating that this is not allowed due to the way teams are currently split. Sure this could change down the road and if/when it does you'll likely see teams be separated by grade instead of by level (Pony, Reserve, Varsity) if the numbers allow it. Some Family Parishes will be able to support a 7th grade team and 8th grade team, others will have to combine.
No one said it, because no one answered it. Of course the priest would allow it.

This is parallel to the open borders change. Westsiders were adamant that broad recruiting was "cheating" and not possible, while everyone around them was showing them how possible it was. They couldn't fathom a situation different than what they were used to, so they did nothing. And it hurt them. Rinse. Repeat.

And it's rooted in tradition, nostalgia and fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.