2022 Football

Can anyone provide the schedule of practices this first week along with the times. Thanks. GBM

I had the opportunity to watch the entire Moeller/Milford scrimmage yesterday. Let me just say that as far as high school football scrimmages go, this was the least impressive, penalty rich, lackluster, display of an otherwise exciting sport as I have ever witnessed. Neither team moved the ball beyond mid field during the entire 2 hours in the sweltering heat. There were very few plays that resulted in positive yardage. In fairness to both sides, the front line playmakers saw very limited action and hardly touched the ball. To make matters worse, it appeared that there might be an injury or two that could effect next weeks scrimmage and possibly beyond. I do not want to go into detail, but suffice to say it was a non event. It was as exciting as brushing the dog for two hours. GBM

I had the opportunity to watch the entire Moeller/Milford scrimmage yesterday. Let me just say that as far as high school football scrimmages go, this was the least impressive, penalty rich, lackluster, display of an otherwise exciting sport as I have ever witnessed. Neither team moved the ball beyond mid field during the entire 2 hours in the sweltering heat. There were very few plays that resulted in positive yardage. In fairness to both sides, the front line playmakers saw very limited action and hardly touched the ball. To make matters worse, it appeared that there might be an injury or two that could effect next weeks scrimmage and possibly beyond. I do not want to go into detail, but suffice to say it was a non event. It was as exciting as brushing the dog for two hours. GBM
At times, it looked as if this was the first time players had done any football activity since last season.
I believe we will find out which direction the season goes this week. Major concerns.

Last edited:
In the past there were two weeks of practice prior to the first scrimmage. The new set-up by the OHSAA allows for the first scrimmage to take place the first Saturday of August, usually this was the Blue/Gold scrimmage which was always uneventful. I wonder if that has anything with teams being flat last weekend? Although we didn't move the ball how was the QB play? Is there competition still going on for that position or has someone won the job? With the weapons we have all we need is a QB that can make good decisions and manage the game not making mistakes. I agree with you boothmark77 about this week at Winton Woods. GBM!

In the past there were two weeks of practice prior to the first scrimmage. The new set-up by the OHSAA allows for the first scrimmage to take place the first Saturday of August, usually this was the Blue/Gold scrimmage which was always uneventful. I wonder if that has anything with teams being flat last weekend? Although we didn't move the ball how was the QB play? Is there competition still going on for that position or has someone won the job? With the weapons we have all we need is a QB that can make good decisions and manage the game not making mistakes. I agree with you boothmark77 about this week at Winton Woods. GBM!
PM me and I will give you my impression. GBM

I'm calling Moe wins the state championship in two years when the current Sophomore and Freshman teams are Seniors and Juniors, respectively. This year's Sophomore class has the big hosses up front on the OL (I think 4-5 of them are on the Varsity roster) and this year's Freshman have some pretty amazing LB's and a few DL. NO ONE WILL RUN THE BALL ON THEM BETWEEN THE 7 AND 6 HOLES....that is guaranteed.

This year's freshman class got some dudes from Hamilton/Ross/Middletown that aren't historically big feeder areas - I suspect it's due to those high school program's not being as strong as they have been. But those kids are big and aggressive. Fingers crossed a top QB emerges (I've heard QB1 and QB2 are currently banged-up and didn't play in the Milford scrimmage but they're supposed to be pretty good).....the WR's are very, very good.

Is Big Moe pretty healthy heading into Friday? Should be an interesting trip. PBTS is a very hostile environment to play in, but it is also one of the neatest venues to watch a game. The people in Massillon really know how to put on a show. GBM

Is Big Moe pretty healthy heading into Friday? Should be an interesting trip. PBTS is a very hostile environment to play in, but it is also one of the neatest venues to watch a game. The people in Massillon really know how to put on a show. GBM
All signs point to yes. I’ll be curious how well the O-line can establish the run because that will be needed to settle the QB(s). I expect D to be fine.

Watched the game. The offense has the potential to score "at will". The defense played very good the 1st half and had some breakdowns in the 2nd. Kickoff team needs work. The difference in penalties was crazy. I think Moeller had 110 yards in penalties. The streaming service didn't offer replay so you really couldn't see who or what was called. Overall, I was pleased with Moeller traveling 3.5 hours and winning comfortably. Massillon QB was tough and they had a very good WR. Next week is a tough one. Trinity is very good.

Successful game plan last week. Not sure it will be as simple this week vs Trinity. I feel the Moe QB (whichever one steps up) is going to need to make plays.
The last 2 meetings with Trinity didn’t end well for Moe (‘19 44-0 L & ‘20 44-7 L).
I think Friday will be a little closer.

Great way to start the season with 2 key wins. I'll be in town the next two weekends. I plan on going to East Central Saturday. Any thoughts on going to Ironton for the Good Counsel game?

Great way to start the season with 2 key wins. I'll be in town the next two weekends. I plan on going to East Central Saturday. Any thoughts on going to Ironton for the Good Counsel game?
Ironton is a lively place to watch a HS game—if the Tigers are playing. Unfortunately, that was last year for Moe. Still worth the trip to see the stadium and Moe play a formidable opponent in Good Counsel! I just want Moe to come out of that game healthy.
East Central does not line up well with this Moe team. Right now, best Moe team I’ve seen in 10 years.

The amount of talent on this team is amazing. And this train has just started.....like I've said before, there's even better talent in the 2025 and 2026 classes. The freshman team beat a good Massillon team and they laid the hammer to Trinity. And I don't think they have their best QB playing yet due to injury.

There's some bad dudes on the freshman team. Big, mean, aggressive and can move. The NG weighs 260 lbs (and is agile for that size) ---there's 5 LB's who weight 190+ who can all move (these cats are particularly mean), and a couple DE's that are effective. The WR's are very deep - started with 20 dudes (1 was on ESPN's top 10 list for a catch he made as an 8th grader)----and already moving some of the WR's to DB where there might be more playing time, a couple big/fast TE's-----there's a few promising QB's although one will likely move to baseball-only....so need at least one of these guys to step up in the next couple years.

I want to combine 2026's class with 2025's OL who is manned by some very high level guys. I wish Vegas was taking bets on who wins State in two years when the 2025 class are seniors.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Freshmen game on Thursday (tomorrow) at Lakota West involves the A or B team? Thanks

Great win in the Rain against East Central 43-14 in the rain. Looking forward to the Good Council MD game Sat at 2. Are many going to make the trek to ironton and will there be any carpooling meeting at Moeller in the morning? Happy to drive others as I have a rental.

Just an observation. I would like to see #6 line up in the slot from time to time with #10 out wide. There is no reason to have #6 run between the tackles when he is better equipped to excel in space. Lining up #10 as a wide out would draw more one on one coverage and if the defense decided to double him up with a safety over the top, it would certainly open up the middle of the field for the tight end or a deep crossing pattern. This set up would also allow for more misdirection, and cause the defense to pay more attention to playmakers in the passing game than focusing on run defense. It seems that Moe rarely has #24, #6 and #10 on the field at the same time. What say you? GBM

Great win in the Rain against East Central 43-14 in the rain. Looking forward to the Good Council MD game Sat at 2. Are many going to make the trek to ironton and will there be any carpooling meeting at Moeller in the morning? Happy to drive others as I have a rental.
I'd take you up on it but I have another Big Moe sporting event that I have to attend that day. Good Counsel is ranked #12 in the country so it's going to be a battle. Curious who's their star players and what colleges have offered. Is it being televised?