2022 Coaching Carousel

Auggie

Probably a good time to start a thread on its own with all the changes to the Power 5 Head Coaching jobs in NCAA Football, here is the list after the list was taken up a notch with the firing of Paul Chryst:

Scott Frost, Nebraska
Herm Edwards, Arizona State
Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech
Karl Dorrell, Colorado
Paul Chryst, Wisconsin

If this fire the coach with time on his contract continues they had best lower the buy outs this is getting costly and the ticket buying faithful are stuck with paying for it.

If this fire the coach with time on his contract continues they had best lower the buy outs this is getting costly and the ticket buying faithful are stuck with paying for it.
No need to lower the buyout, B1G Media $s will be flowing like a fire hose in the next couple of years.

By the way the SEC honks are saying the B1G is starting to look like the SEC. Paul Chryst was highly successful with what he had to work with at Wiscy and he loses to the ex-coach and all of a sudden there is a knee jerk reaction and he is gone with a big pay out?!? Auburn still has their coach and Wiscy fires theirs? I have also heard a game changer is the expanded playoffs. A 10-2 B1G west team that shows some fight in the title game all of a sudden has a real chance at a playoff game. Two years from now that is a real possibility and that is huge.

No need to lower the buyout, B1G Media $s will be flowing like a fire hose in the next couple of years.

By the way the SEC honks are saying the B1G is starting to look like the SEC. Paul Chryst was highly successful with what he had to work with at Wiscy and he loses to the ex-coach and all of a sudden there is a knee jerk reaction and he is gone with a big pay out?!? Auburn still has their coach and Wiscy fires theirs? I have also heard a game changer is the expanded playoffs. A 10-2 B1G west team that shows some fight in the title game all of a sudden has a real chance at a playoff game. Two years from now that is a real possibility and that is huge.
not sure it’s a knee jerk reaction. Their recruiting has dropped like a rock the last 2 years and not just because they aren’t a national recruiter.

2018 - nothing major nationally but only 1 kid with a Wisky offer in state did not enroll
2019 - 30th overall, best ever class per online ranking systems at the time. 5* OT from Mich, too 100 QB from KS.
2020 - 27th overall, tops best ever class from year before. Nothing major nationally. 1 kid from in state with offer does not attend
2021 - 16th overall, again tops previous year best ever. 5* OT from PA, got every kid in state with an offer.
2022 - 41st overall. Missed out on 3/4 top 4 recruits in state all with offers. 1 kid (in state) ranked in the top 450, 3 total ranked in the top 500.
2023 - minimal in state talent, currently ranked 57th, 2 kids barely squeezing into the top 500 recruits (493 and 497). Not leading for anyone that would significantly change the direction.

He had an okay year last year but things haven’t been great since the 2019 year and with recruiting the way it is I don’t see it getting better.

I'd put money on Nebraska throwing the kitchen sink at Matt Rhule
They better watch out if that interim coach keeps winning. I doubt they stay with him but if we wins enough games to make a bowl there might be some pressure to give the guy a chance at a deal.

They better watch out if that interim coach keeps winning. I doubt they stay with him but if we wins enough games to make a bowl there might be some pressure to give the guy a chance at a deal.
I don’t see any chance of their interim coach getting the job.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

This Georgia rout has to be the end of the line for Bryan Harsin.

Matt Rhule is now officially available:

Solid NCAA coach that will probably get a gig quickly. Some will think he heads south because of his success at Baylor but the guy is actually from NYC and went to Penn State. Might be a good fit for one of the open B1G gigs.

If you can build goods teams at Temple and Baylor after the Art Briles stuff, you can probably do it anywhere. Loads of good colleges coaches fail in the NFL. It's just a different environment and shouldn't be held against him (them).

If you can build goods teams at Temple and Baylor after the Art Briles stuff, you can probably do it anywhere. Loads of good colleges coaches fail in the NFL. It's just a different environment and shouldn't be held against him (them).
In this case it will not.

I actually think Wisconsin would be a good fit for this guy. There will be a bidding war for his services and they will probably step up to the plate, also is a defense 1st coach which works into their identity.

Could this be the year we reach the point where new head coaches get announced while the regular season is ongoing? I could see that happening, especially if Rhule goes to Auburn or Nebraska.

Could this be the year we reach the point where new head coaches get announced while the regular season is ongoing? I could see that happening, especially if Rhule goes to Auburn or Nebraska.

This has already happened.

This has already happened.
Any examples? I’m sure it’s possible, but I don’t recall any examples off the top of my head of college teams introducing their new head coach while the regular season is still happening. If they were to do that, the new guy should step in and start helping the current season’s team, IMO.

Any examples? I’m sure it’s possible, but I don’t recall any examples off the top of my head of college teams introducing their new head coach while the regular season is still happening. If they were to do that, the new guy should step in and start helping the current season’s team, IMO.

Clay Helton was hired at Georgia Southern on November 2nd of last year.

The deep-pocketed alumni who are crazy about football will come up with the money to buy these guys out if needed.

For the coaches, it's nice work if they can get it. They either win and are happy, or they stink and get to blow town with more than enough "F You money."

Out of the box guy being associated with the Auburn gig:

Untitled-design-37-e1642622576332.jpg

I could be wrong but I feel like Deion will stay at Jackson State. Feels like he’s reached a point in his career where he’s more about having an impact coaching at a HBCU. There’s no denying how much he’s done for entire league

Willie Taggart got fired again. This time from FAU. His star sure fell over the past several years.

I think the next path for a guy fired twice is to surface on CBS Sports Network or ACC Network as a studio analyst next year.