2022 CFP Projections

I definitely agree with you about Maryland, but the B1G East might have 3 teams better than anyone in the PAC 12.
I'd give you the top 2 teams. I think Michigan and Ohio State are probably better than any Pac 12 team. I think most of the Pac 12 teams are better than Penn State. But then again, Oregon did go into Columbus last year and beat Ohio State. And Utah also played punch for punch with the Buckeyes last year in the Rose Bowl, albeit in a close loss.

The Pac 12 was damn good this year, they just didn't have a dominant team, instead they all beat up on one another at the top. That's why they don't have a Playoff rep.

I'd give you the top 2 teams. I think Michigan and Ohio State are probably better than any Pac 12 team. I think most of the Pac 12 teams are better than Penn State. But then again, Oregon did go into Columbus last year and beat Ohio State. And Utah also played punch for punch with the Buckeyes last year in the Rose Bowl, albeit in a close loss.

The Pac 12 was damn good this year, they just didn't have a dominant team, instead they all beat up on one another at the top. That's why they don't have a Playoff rep.
I’m actually really glad the PAC 10 is getting better, it didn’t seem right when the sucked so bad recently

Mike Zimmer to be his DC also.
Seems super out of left field to me. Hasn’t been in the college game in nearly 30 years. I get he coached Prime in Dallas but that was over 20 years ago, I can’t imagine they have an incredibly strong relationship but apparently I’m wrong.

What’s weird is deciding if it will be better with 12 teams.
A 2 loss Clemson automatically in.
A 3 loss Utah automatically in.
A 3 loss Kansas State automatically in.
An undefeated Georgia and an undefeated ttun.

Georgia, ttun, Clemson, and Utah would get byes.
First round would be
Tulane vs TCU
Penn State vs Ohio State
USC vs Alabama
Kansas State vs Tennessee

Georgia would play the Kansas State vs Tennessee winner.
Utah would play the Tulane vs TCU winner.
Clemson would play the Ohio State vs Penn State winner.
ttun would play the USC vs Alabama winner.

The difference for USC and TCU losing their conference championships is pretty significant. Hopefully we don’t have 3-loss conference champions in the future.

What’s weird is deciding if it will be better with 12 teams.
A 2 loss Clemson automatically in.
A 3 loss Utah automatically in.
A 3 loss Kansas State automatically in.
An undefeated Georgia and an undefeated ttun.

Georgia, ttun, Clemson, and Utah would get byes.
First round would be
Tulane vs TCU
Penn State vs Ohio State
USC vs Alabama
Kansas State vs Tennessee

Georgia would play the Kansas State vs Tennessee winner.
Utah would play the Tulane vs TCU winner.
Clemson would play the Ohio State vs Penn State winner.
ttun would play the USC vs Alabama winner.

The difference for USC and TCU losing their conference championships is pretty significant. Hopefully we don’t have 3-loss conference champions in the future.
What if a young team that faces a tough early schedule is killing it by the end of the season and comes in at 10-3 on a nine game win streak? The new system would allow for teams that gel later and not having their season dead in Sept.

What if a young team that faces a tough early schedule is killing it by the end of the season and comes in at 10-3 on a nine game win streak? The new system would allow for teams that gel later and not having their season dead in Sept.
I think any 3 loss will struggle getting in unless they happen to win one of the conference championships, but who knows how the committee will think in the future.
Just silly to me that this year Clemson and Utah would get 2 of the automatic byes.

I say good. Conference Championships should matter. This year in general is kind of a one-off, as every single P5 Conference had a team with at least 3-losses qualify for the Conference Championship Game:
3-loss LSU in the SEC
3-loss North Carolina in the ACC
4-loss Purdue in the B1G
3-loss Kansas State in the Big 12
3-loss Utah in the Pac 12
Hell even the American, as the highest rated G5 Conference had 3-loss UCF in their title game.

Has a lineup like that ever happened before? Probably not, and likely not even close.

One thing that will likely help is the elimination of divisions. I know the Big 12 and Pac 12 didn't play with divisions this year, but the Big 12 won't have the round-robin schedule after this year and the Pac 12 just so happened to have 6 pretty good teams who all beat up on one another, it happens. Eliminating divisions in the ACC also wouldn't have changed the matchup this particular year, but the ACC was really bad this year.

In the B1G and SEC, eliminating divisions would have led to:
12-0 Michigan vs. 11-1 Ohio State
12-0 Georgia vs. 10-2 Tennessee

In the future, you may end up seeing one or two 3-loss teams sneak into the #10/#11/#12 spots every so often, but most of the time it'll be 2-losses or less taking up all the at-large spots.

I may be wrong but if we had the 12 team setup this season, the following would have happened. I think.

First round-
12)Tulane at 5)Alabama 11)Penn State at 6)Tennessee 10)USC at 7)Clemson 9)Kansas State at 8)Utah
Quarterfinals 8/9 winner vs. Georgia in the Sugar Bowl
7/10 winner vs. Michigan in the Rose Bowl (maybe Cotton?)
6/11 winner vs. TCU in the Cotton Bowl (maybe Orange?)
5/12 winner vs. Ohio State in the Orange Bowl.
Then the Peach and Fiesta host the semis.
Will the higher seed team get to pick it's quarterfinal site?
Will the bracket be reseeded after round one?