2022-2023 Ohio State Basketball

What makes it even worse is how bad the B1G has been over the past few years. Yes, I know the past two years all the pundits were bragging about it being the best conference in the country, but I couldn’t figure out what they were seeing. The league-wide tourney flameouts showed the truth, and this year the B1G is even worse…yet in none of these seasons has Holtmann had OSU within shouting distance of a league championship.
To validate your point Northwestern despite having Ryan Young and Pete Nance transferring is 6 - 3 in the league, now maybe the Wildcats may falter at the end of the year, but no reason for OSU to be this bad.

So here we sit, Bucks are 11-10, 3-7. Still a bit confused at how this team has gone so far backwards since playing so well in December.

At a minimum, need to go 7-3 the rest of the way to get to tourney. Which would leave them 18-13, 10-10. With road games @ Michigan, Sparty, Iowa and Purdue, a tough order. Plus with the way we've been playing, 3-7 seems more likely than 7-3.

So here we sit, Bucks are 11-10, 3-7. Still a bit confused at how this team has gone so far backwards since playing so well in December.

At a minimum, need to go 7-3 the rest of the way to get to tourney. Which would leave them 18-13, 10-10. With road games @ Michigan, Sparty, Iowa and Purdue, a tough order. Plus with the way we've been playing, 3-7 seems more likely than 7-3.
It just took a little time for the team to be Holtmannized. Remember when they were 10-5 and 2-2?
Name a single season when the team got better as the year went on.
Up til this year his teams have won at least 31 games every year, at all three schools. Basically he needs to go undefeated the rest of the season to do that. I’d say that streak ends.

It just took a little time for the team to be Holtmannized. Remember when they were 10-5 and 2-2?
Up til this year his teams have won at least 31 games every year, at all three schools. Basically he needs to go undefeated the rest of the season to do that. I’d say that streak ends.
I'll take 31 wins per year. Lol.

Some people accept mediocrity.
Holtmann’s overall win percentage doesn’t even sniff the top 250 all time.
Several coaches with better career win percentages, and league titles, have been fired.
It was a joke. No Chris Holtmann team has ever won 31 games in a season. 🤷‍♂️

It was a joke. No Chris Holtmann team has ever won 31 games in a season. 🤷‍♂️
Yep, my bad. I was reading his record. I was thinking 20 (but he didn’t do that his first two years at GW) and then my eyes moved to the games column instead of the wins column when I posted.
I deserved to be joked for that brain fart.

Yep, my bad. I was reading his record. I was thinking 20 (but he didn’t do that his first two years at GW) and then my eyes moved to the games column instead of the wins column when I posted.
I deserved to be joked for that brain fart.
No worries. I was just having some fun. Either way, we agree that this thing is going in the wrong direction. Holtmann is an A+ human being, and has proven he can recruit. But he just can’t put it all together.

Team played a lot better after his ejection, maybe this should be his strategy the rest of the season.
I noticed that too and laughed a little at it last night. I wonder how much was getting amped up seeing your coach amped up or a change in coach. Probably a little A, a Little more B.

That was the other interesting tidbit, yes. Diebler seemed to get more out of them. Even without Sensabaugh. :unsure:
Ok - so it's probably just us not liking Holtmann as a coach, but I totally thought the coaching was better once Holtmann was removed lol....not even joking.

Also - the ejection....the call was horrendous, and Holtmann should have lost his mind on someone for that flop they called a charge. BUT......the whole getting yourself thrown out thing....I think he knows the writing is on the wall and 1 of 2 things happened. He either doesn't care any more and is pissed that he's going to be fired and just went off the deep end.....or......he wanted to get himself thrown out to show that he's still fighting for his team.....either way.....not a good look.....looks super desperate.

Last edited:
Ok - so it's probably just us not liking Holtmann as a coach, but I totally thought the coaching was better once Holtmann was removed lol....not even joking.

Also - the ejection....the call was horrendous, and Holtmann should have lost his mind on someone for that flop they called a charge. BUT......the whole getting yourself thrown out thing....I think he knows the writing is on the wall and 1 of 2 things happened. He either doesn't care any more and is pissed that he's going to be fire and just went off the deep end.....or......he wanted to get himself thrown out to show that he's still fighting for his team.....either way.....not a good look.....looks super desperate.
Yeah, and that's totally out of character for him. I get that he may have been trying to light a fire under his team, but maybe he should have tried this, like, I don't know, say 7 or 8 games ago? Lol.

Again, I will always respect Holtmann as an A+ human being and solid recruiter. But his preparation, in-game adjustments, late-game decision making, and player development, amongst other things, leave something to be desired for sure. And that's while I will never intentionally crap on the dude. He seems to genuinely care, is invested, and continually attempts to take accountability, and from all accounts, has a healthy locker room. But he just can't execute at a high-level.

Yeah, and that's totally out of character for him. I get that he may have been trying to light a fire under his team, but maybe he should have tried this, like, I don't know, say 7 or 8 games ago? Lol.

Again, I will always respect Holtmann as an A+ human being and solid recruiter. But his preparation, in-game adjustments, late-game decision making, and player development, amongst other things, leave something to be desired for sure. And that's while I will never intentionally crap on the dude. He seems to genuinely care, is invested, and continually attempts to take accountability, and from all accounts, has a healthy locker room. But he just can't execute at a high-level.
1675452749489.jpeg

“You wanna work here? Close!

I agree - luckily I met him and got to talk a little with him. He is a genuinely fine man, he really cares, and he is accountable. I think last night a month of frustration just came exploding out of him.

But clearly the results are not there, and what I dislike most, for years, is the offensive structure. That top of the key weave is useless, and the high picks for the dribbler is ineffective too. We rarely see our guys get open looks like the other teams get. We rarely see back-cuts, screens away from the ball, and other things that most teams employ to get open shots. And the out of bounds plays from under our offensive basket are atrocious.

I had to switch off at half time. Found some other entertainment...