2022-2023 General Discussion

I don’t believe he truly thought it would happen. He’s just a salty fan.
If it's that important to you, feel free to look both at my posting history on the Indiana, the general, and the Ohio St threads as well as on the Toledo CSNBB board. I don't get a feeling of superiority if "my" team wins unless I'm actually playing for them. I would have liked Purdue to win of course, being an alum. But ultimately what I was taught at Purdue was how to critically analyze. What I was taught by the parent was not to get butt hurt over a game. These together allow me to simply analyze and express without emotion guiding my decision making. The autism helps in some regard.

Yes, I thought FD had a very realistic chance if they could figure out that beating Purdue doesn't mean wasting all your resources on the 7'4" guy. The problem with any profession is they are biased by history. This person teaches that person... Few think outside the box except those that were born and raised outside the box. Not haveing been biased by traditional basketball methodology, I look at it as just another series of patterns and space. My experience with that told me, Purdue did not use that well and those trying to keep them from scoring were operating under historical methods instead of looking at it as a new and unique problem. Well, a less established program and coach like FD is not working under the same cultural biases as the P5 and the B10 in particularly.

When I say this, I mean this. When I say that, I mean that. No emotion involved. Pure analytical thinking.

In short, I said what I believed because I'd lose more self-esteem in not doing that than I would in a Purdue loss.

This board is blowing up.
sarcastic sarcasm GIF

If it's that important to you, feel free to look both at my posting history on the Indiana, the general, and the Ohio St threads as well as on the Toledo CSNBB board. I don't get a feeling of superiority if "my" team wins unless I'm actually playing for them. I would have liked Purdue to win of course, being an alum. But ultimately what I was taught at Purdue was how to critically analyze. What I was taught by the parent was not to get butt hurt over a game. These together allow me to simply analyze and express without emotion guiding my decision making. The autism helps in some regard.

Yes, I thought FD had a very realistic chance if they could figure out that beating Purdue doesn't mean wasting all your resources on the 7'4" guy. The problem with any profession is they are biased by history. This person teaches that person... Few think outside the box except those that were born and raised outside the box. Not haveing been biased by traditional basketball methodology, I look at it as just another series of patterns and space. My experience with that told me, Purdue did not use that well and those trying to keep them from scoring were operating under historical methods instead of looking at it as a new and unique problem. Well, a less established program and coach like FD is not working under the same cultural biases as the P5 and the B10 in particularly.

When I say this, I mean this. When I say that, I mean that. No emotion involved. Pure analytical thinking.

In short, I said what I believed because I'd lose more self-esteem in not doing that than I would in a Purdue loss.
Say what? At times FDU was triple teaming Edie held him without a FG attpt. I believe the last 8 minutes of the game. Gillis was wide open in the 2nd half for 3's and was unwilling to shoot. Purdue lost because a lack of guard play, that simple, they are not that athletic and yesterday couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but could hit the side of the backboard.

With Miller dealing with a groin injury for Bammy, look for the Jayhawks to cut the nets down two years in a row. State of college bball while good for upsets, talent level (play) is way down.

Games like this ruin the NCAA tournament honestly. FDU will get blown out either in the next round or by Dook. Nobody wants to see a team like this make it far then take away great matchups we could have had.
Games like this is why the tourney is so much fun. The tourney is the single most exciting sporting event of the year, but it is a horrible way to determine who the best team is.

One team has a hot shooting day, another team goes ice cold, and anything can happen. That is fun. But if they play Princeton and FDU 10 times, Arizona wins 8 or 9, and Purdue wins 8 or 9. If you want the "best team" to always win, watch the NBA.

^^^
Purdue didn't have a cold shooting day. They didn't have a hot shooting day. Look at their stats. They're more likely to shoot less than 20% from 3 than over 35%. That's not an cold day. It's a typical day.

Occasionally a player will remember what they were in high school, a hot shooting guard. As I've posted during season: Gillis is insecure, struggles with decision making, when he has the ball. If he can get a clean handle in specific spots and if he's not unnerved by the moment, he can drain them. Same Loyer. Both strike me as head cases. Smith is aggressive but can lose his cool. Painter went with them instead of developing the more experienced higher rated guards he had on the bench and gotten through portal. He never adjusts that the active court size for the game is not what it was in Jabbar and Walton's day. It's larger, more spread out and any team can find shooters and kids willing to grunt.

F-D did that with maybe more swagger from the coach than some might find sporting, being derogatory towards a team and coach that never (to MY knowledge) disregarded F-D. But some are going to motivate at whatever level it takes. They did an excellent job. To me their most impressive stat was the number of points out of the forward position. This is how Rutgers beat Purdue. It's how IU beat them, twice. Thugh OSU's "forward" was actually a tall guard, it's how they almost beat them.
Say what? At times FDU was triple teaming Edie held him without a FG attpt. I believe the last 8 minutes of the game. Gillis was wide open in the 2nd half for 3's and was unwilling to shoot. Purdue lost because a lack of guard play, that simple, they are not that athletic and yesterday couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but could hit the side of the backboard.

BEFORE that game, I mentioned lack of guard play and the goal, it's to keep Edey from getting clean catches. Single teaming and doubling up in the perimeter, doubling or tripling at the post, their intent was not to keep him from shooting using players a foot and a half shorter after wing span. It was to prevent clean catches. I clearly said they were not athletic, were "Mr Basketball" but not coveted 4-5 star players. I posted mine before the game, not in hindsight.

You seem to be repeating what I posted then disputing what I posted. I'm not following what the "say what" is about?

Last edited:
^^^
Purdue didn't have a cold shooting day. They didn't have a hot shooting day. Look at their stats. They're more likely to shoot less than 20% from 3 than over 35%. That's not an cold day. It's a typical day.

Occasionally a player will remember what they were in high school, a hot shooting guard. As I've posted during season: Gillis is insecure, struggles with decision making, when he has the ball. If he can get a clean handle in specific spots and if he's not unnerved by the moment, he can drain them. Same Loyer. Both strike me as head cases. Smith is aggressive but can lose his cool. Painter went with them instead of developing the more experienced higher rated guards he had on the bench and gotten through portal. He never adjusts that the active court size for the game is not what it was in Jabbar and Walton's day. It's larger, more spread out and any team can find shooters and kids willing to grunt.

F-D did that with maybe more swagger from the coach than some might find sporting, being derogatory towards a team and coach that never (to MY knowledge) disregarded F-D. But some are going to motivate at whatever level it takes. They did an excellent job. To me their most impressive stat was the number of points out of the forward position. This is how Rutgers beat Purdue. It's how IU beat them, twice. Thugh OSU's "forward" was actually a tall guard, it's how they almost beat them.

BEFORE that game, I mentioned lack of guard play and the goal, it's to keep Edey from getting clean catches. Single teaming and doubling up in the perimeter, doubling or tripling at the post, their intent was not to keep him from shooting using players a foot and a half shorter after wing span. It was to prevent clean catches. I clearly said they were not athletic, were "Mr Basketball" but not coveted 4-5 star players. I posted mine before the game, not in hindsight.

You seem to be repeating what I posted then disputing what I posted. I'm not following what the "say what" is about?
You are right - again!

What amazed me is that Purdue allowed FDU’s double teaming of Edey to pretty much take him out of the offensive game in the second half. Purdue had plenty of wide open 3s, but refused to take them. FDU pestered Edey, and then Purdue themselves took away his opportunities for offensive rebounds. Weird game by Purdue. Seemed like total lack of confidence.

Pitt/ Iowa St. game was hard to watch. Not sure if it was just very good defense (I’ll admit there wasn’t much open space) or really poor offense. I think Pitt normally shows more offensive skills but then ISU did lead the conference in points allowed.
Pitt is on a bit of a roll now I expect they will beat Xavier and advance tomorrow but that will be the end of the road.

Last edited:
Michigan just had an all time choke job loss to Vanderbilt in the NIT. More horrific Big Ten guard play. Big Ten needs to recruit the guard position HARD.

But, but, but, Duke was supposed to annihilate Fairleigh Dickinson next week in the Sweet 16 which would ruin our enjoyment of the tournament. Spartacus said so.
Yeah, some premature Duke winning predictions make me think some people haven't watched a single minute of Duke or Tennessee this year.

I feel like Duke wasted Lively. Not a single shot attempt and outside of some blocked shots, he had zero impact on the game.