2022-2023 General Discussion

I had no idea this happened until today. BY FAR the cringiest thing that has happened thus far in the tournament.

Ain't no athlete want to hear a pep talk from a politician. Unless it's Obama. Paul Ryan couldn't sound less sincere talking to Miami before they got pantsed at Ohio State that one year.

Only other exception maaaaaybe Condoleezza Rice at Stanford since she always puts on for the Cardinal, but that has to be a stretch too.

he should file assault charges against the thug from tennessee.

tennessee, at one point late in 2nd half only had 3 team fouls. lol

jtk
()
It happened during a rebound, no obvious malicious intent. Filipowski reminds me a bit of Hansbrough, he never backed down and went right at Tennessee after that hit.

I had no idea this happened until today. BY FAR the cringiest thing that has happened thus far in the tournament.

After watching this video I want to go out and... read a policy report on banking regulation in the current financial environment. Talk about a snooze fest.

Syracuse should admit who they are, embrace basketball, get out of the eroding ACC, go back to the Big East, and let their football team be an independent or play in a smaller conference like UConn.

Syracuse — much like BC and Pitt — will never truly be an ACC school. Heading to Greensboro when they could play tourney games in MSG makes no sense for them.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Davis whines that he didn't get a chance to break Maravich's scoring record, even though his team had a losing record.

Syracuse should admit who they are, embrace basketball, get out of the eroding ACC, go back to the Big East, and let their football team be an independent or play in a smaller conference like UConn.

Syracuse — much like BC and Pitt — will never truly be an ACC school. Heading to Greensboro when they could play tourney games in MSG makes no sense for them.

I've always felt that Syracuse would have been a much better fit in the Big Ten than Rutgers or Maryland. Too late to change now though.

It happened during a rebound, no obvious malicious intent. Filipowski reminds me a bit of Hansbrough, he never backed down and went right at Tennessee after that hit.
im not talking about the hit to the eye. the other non basketball plays where the thug went after him.

jtk
()

You know how much money they would lose if they did that? I am not sure myself, but I assume quite a bit.

You know how much money they would lose if they did that? I am not sure myself, but I assume quite a bit.
I’m sure they would lose money, at least in the short term. But the longer they stay as a fish out of water in the ACC, the more they risk permanent irrelevance for their basketball program and squandering everything that Jim Boeheim and being in the Big East had built up for them.

Davis whines that he didn't get a chance to break Maravich's scoring record, even though his team had a losing record.

Boo-hoo. "Cheated out of breaking the record". Give me a break.

Maravich scored his points in about half the number of games as this guy. With no three point line. greatest college player ever.

he should file assault charges against the thug from tennessee.

tennessee, at one point late in 2nd half only had 3 team fouls. lol

jtk
()
Tennessee can go far if the officials decide to let them play. I’ve never seen a player take a beating like Filipowski did this year. He got punched in the throat at VA Tech, got mugged on the last play at UVA and was a punching bag for the Tennessee player all game.

I think Tennessee can win it all. Duke starting a bunch of freshman vs upper classman is nothing new... That game went far beyond "physical" for Tennessee. It straight up looked like boys vs men. Plavsic is 24 years old. Super super senior from the COVID year.

Rick Barnes is on the Rules Committee so he certainly knows how to coach his guys to play hard without fouling. That is big in the tournament.

Syracuse has a much larger presence in NYC than Rutgers does.
I've seen one or two studies that say otherwise, although I don't believe it. I always thought Syracuse and probably UConn had the biggest NYC presences among schools in that region (Michigan and Notre Dame perhaps bigger??) in what's a very fractured college fandom market.

I've seen one or two studies that say otherwise, although I don't believe it. I always thought Syracuse and probably UConn had the biggest NYC presences among schools in that region (Michigan and Notre Dame perhaps bigger??) in what's a very fractured college fandom market.
All you gotta do is look at past Big East Tournament games and it’s beyond clear that UConn and Syracuse have the two biggest fanbase presences in the NYC market. By far.

Rutgers is a common house fly.

I've seen Michigan play 6-7 times in NYC (at MSG & Barclays) dating back to 2013. I've seen them outdraw some notable fanbases by large margins (WV, Nova, Pitt, SMU, Purdue).

The only time I've seen them outnumbered in person was against Rutgers at MSG a few years ago. Rutgers had about 2/3 of the crowd in a pretty full arena.

I live in a very dense college-educated transplant-heavy neighborhood and I see people wearing Michigan apparel on the street year-round. I hardly see Syracuse apparel and never see UConn apparel. Probably the next most common school I see after Michigan is Yale.

Rick Pitino officially to St. John’s. This should be interesting.

Excited for this. I've watched St. John's a few times at MSG and they're very much a sleeping giant. Occasionally would bring out huge crowds but typically left much to be desired on the court under Mullin and Anderson.

Can't wait to see what type of talent he brings in through the portal and how the NYC basketball community responds to a more competitive program next season.