2021 Southwestern Buckeye League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played football for Northridge way back in 1986 - 1989. We had some pretty good teams back in those days. I have lived in Pickerington for about 20 years and all of my sons have or will play for Pick Central.
My question is how can Northridge be so bad for so long? I know the coach is older than dirt, he was a coach back when I played 30+ years ago. How does a coach keep his job that long when his teams suck every year? They have enough athletes to compete in basketball so why not football? For those in the know, what gives?
It's a lot easier to find 3-5 solid basketball players each year to build a team around than it is to find 14-15 solid football players to build a team around. From my experience with Northridge, they typically lack the depth and talent at the o-line and d-line positions. They usually have some solid skill players but have a hard time competing in the trenches.

9-1 meaning you would’ve beat Tri County North?
Yea a lot of things happened before that game that coaches didn’t know about like a couple key players being in a car wreck right befoythe game. And if Brian didn’t get hurt North would’ve had a hard time with Brian and Toby

With them thinking about considering strength of schedule I think the SWBL should leave open three or four nonconference games That would really help league it will not help if they all play each other

I think they will play them every year. Seems like the crossovers are going to be mostly league opponents.
This seems kind of unnecessary to split 10 teams.
10 team schedule would require 1 ooc team per school. Or you could try and fill that week 3 that so many struggle to fill. Seems pointless.

Valley View could have this schedule...
Clinton Massie, Tipp City, Edgewood, or Whomever
Franklin
Bellbrook
Oakwood
Monroe
Waynesville
Brookville
Eaton
Carlisle
Middletown Madison
That would get them in the playoffs every year.

Valley View’s schedule has 3 Out of conference, 3 crossovers and then the 4 teams their division. The out of conference games are against Springfield Shawnee, Hamilton Ross and Milton Union. The crossovers are Bellbrook, Franklin and Oakwood. That’s a pretty tough schedule

between a tough schedule and losing an amazing coaching staff, VV might be down a bit next year. still can't believe they ran Skid and co. out after all the consistent success he has had.

A trend many people don't talk about is the fact that Valley View's record against Franklin and Bellbrook over the past three seasons is 0-6. They're 0-3 against both teams during that time frame. So despite feeling as though they've had success overall, they haven't had success against either rival in the league.

Shawnee is a team that should be good but it's a team VV has scrimmaged often. There should be some familiarity there. VV has had good success against Milton Union. Hamilton Ross could be interesting, they had a strong team last year.

Last edited:
A trend many people don't talk about is the fact that Valley View's record against Franklin and Bellbrook over the past three seasons is 0-6. They're 0-3 against both teams during that time frame. So despite feeling as though they've had success overall, they haven't had success against either rival in the league.

Shawnee is a team that should be good but it's a team VV has scrimmaged often. There should be some familiarity there. VV has had good success against Milton Union. Hamilton Ross could be interesting, they had a strong team last year.
Milton might surprise Valley View the next couple of years. But you're right, the Spartans rarely lose to Milton.

Milton might surprise Valley View the next couple of years. But you're right, the Spartans rarely lose to Milton.

With MU, the VV game is a nice OOC game. It'll be a team that prepares them fore the playoffs. If they can win, they'll typically get good computer points. I think MU can afford the loss and still make the playoffs consistently too.

Probably a good time to get out if you are in Waynesville. I bet they hate the new alignment. Gonna be tough to win.

Probably a good time to get out if you are in Waynesville. I bet they hate the new alignment. Gonna be tough to win.
they had a very strong senior class, that probably has something to do with it. I don't think he's a bad coach- they had some very good wins... and some very bad losses. but he still brought the program back to the success they were having about a decade ago.

Waynesville should be in the market for a new league or league alignment. the new SWBL alignment sucks for them.

Jordan was a good coach at Waynesville. They are a revolving door there.
Thank God for Bret Pearce!
Waynesville, Carlisle, Madison and Brookville will be bolting if the SWBL expands the D2-3 schools.

It would be a shame to see the SWBL dissolve. Speaking from Clinton Massie’s experience in the SCOL, it would mean starting all over in all sports. The move has deteriorated every sport at CM. I fear the same could possibly happen to the smaller SWBL schools if they move to a conference that is sub par. Personally, I really like the SWBL and hope they make an effort to hold the league together by adding some other teams that could keep both big and small schools happy and competitive. I hope CM would be at the top of the list to invite. It doesn’t get much worse than the SBC and I’m not just talking about competition level.

IF he wants a bigger job (No idea if he does, just saying IF) It might be a good time to sell himself coming off of consecutive Buckeye titles. Waynesville winning in the new SWBL East is going to be a little tougher...

I find it interesting how many coaching changes we're seeing for teams that involve the league changes. VV, Waynesville, Franklin, and Madison as the SWBL evolves. I see that Covington's coach may be looking to move to Vandalia Butler. Could be random but it seems like we have more coaching changes than normal. Also more league changes than normal.

I think part of it is league changes and part is the normal cycle. Waynesville and Valley View were not on the radar. Butler has been talked about. Franklin is a shocker, as is Madison to me. Like I said, I don't care as long as Milton doesn't lose it's coach. Pearce is the man there. Hard to replace a coach like him.

I thought all 4 coaching changes were shockers. With the success each coach/program has had I didn't see any changes coming. I think Waynesville and Madison have to make great hires in order to be competitive. I would think Waynesville will attract a lot of good candidates with all the new construction and the growing community.

I thought all 4 coaching changes were shockers. With the success each coach/program has had I didn't see any changes coming. I think Waynesville and Madison have to make great hires in order to be competitive. I would think Waynesville will attract a lot of good candidates with all the new construction and the growing community.

That's where I am on this too. I am surprised by all 4. Adding in Covington's coach possibly moving to Vandalia Butler, and it all seems wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.