2023 Pittsburgh Steelers

The reality of the situation is this:

We are screwed for a long time.
It was a very good, long run! I am just glad they were kicking for so long during my more younger years when I was more vested and actually affected my happiness. Now being an old crumbum I still love 'em, but dont get as hyped when they win or lose.

It was a very good, long run! I am just glad they were kicking for so long during my more younger years when I was more vested and actually affected my happiness. Now being an old crumbum I still love 'em, but dont get as hyped when they win or lose.
I hear you. I'm the same way for my teams. I can remember pretending I was Swan or Bradshaw in the back yard pick up football games. They sure did have some great players.

There are plenty of options for the team going forward.

Foremost is a complete coaching staff change.

Second, decide whether to trade for or draft a QB - there will be plenty of options.

As a coach MT has to know 'what you permit, you endorse'.

His failure to reign in Shuster in talking is an issue and shows there is not much discpline.

Claypool spking the ball at the feet of the defender late in the game.
WTF...your getting your handed to you!

Didn’t they state during the broadcast yesterday that since the AFL/NFL merger the Steelers have the best winning percentage of any organization? I really wasn’t aware of that. If I remember they were down for a bit in the 80s, maybe if they do fall off the radar it will be for a short time. I don’t expect they will ever be in a 15-17 year tailspin like happened to the Browns. It’s almost incomprehensible that you could be picking top ten in the draft for that long and not be better sooner.

Didn’t they state during the broadcast yesterday that since the AFL/NFL merger the Steelers have the best winning percentage of any organization? I really wasn’t aware of that. If I remember they were down for a bit in the 80s, maybe if they do fall off the radar it will be for a short time. I don’t expect they will ever be in a 15-17 year tailspin like happened to the Browns. It’s almost incomprehensible that you could be picking top ten in the draft for that long and not be better sooner.
They did and yea i was surpised as well!
80s were a bit down, was a young yute at the time. If we can minimize the shthole seasons that is fine, the circle of life in the NFL but I would not be able to handle Cleveland esque ineptitude...

There are plenty of options for the team going forward.

Foremost is a complete coaching staff change.

Second, decide whether to trade for or draft a QB - there will be plenty of options.
It will be interesting to see this off-season. 18 free agents? I’m beginning to come to your side regarding the coaching staff. Don’t see if happening however.

Just came over to see what people were saying in here....

As painful as it was to sit through... in the end this loss might end up being the best thing that could have happened. Had they won and gone on to lose to Buffalo (or KC) they might have thought they were just beaten by a hot team or a really good team on the road and it wasn't because of their own short comings. Hopefully getting smoked by the Browns at home will be a wake up call and they'll realize that significant changes are needed.

What really needs to be done is a full house cleaning. Let all the free agents go. Trade anyone who has trade value for picks. Have the talk with Ben (like the talk they had with Troy and Hines) and let Tomlin walk. The 2021 schedule appears to be brutal and they're going into the off-season in cap hell so tank in 2021. Their 2022 cap situation looks great... so the rebuild could be short.

I'm not a Tomlin hater. In fact, I'm a huge fan of his; but sometimes it's just time to move on. He can be successful somewhere else but his message isn't getting through in Pittsburgh any more. And I love Ben... but it's time.

But unfortunately that's not the "Steeler way" and I'm afraid the Rooney's won't do what's necessary and next July they'll probably come to camp with Tomlin, Ben, etc. They'll be mediocre at best. They won't be in playoff contention but they won't suck enough to get a good draft position for 2022. Probably 6-10... and picking 11th or something like that. I'm old enough to have lived through the Stoudt, Malone, Bubby years... I hate to think of them treading water and being mediocre for a decade. They need a full-on tank job ala 2019 Bengals or 2017 Browns to become good again.

Just came over to see what people were saying in here....

As painful as it was to sit through... in the end this loss might end up being the best thing that could have happened. Had they won and gone on to lose to Buffalo (or KC) they might have thought they were just beaten by a hot team or a really good team on the road and it wasn't because of their own short comings. Hopefully getting smoked by the Browns at home will be a wake up call and they'll realize that significant changes are needed.

What really needs to be done is a full house cleaning. Let all the free agents go. Trade anyone who has trade value for picks. Have the talk with Ben (like the talk they had with Troy and Hines) and let Tomlin walk. The 2021 schedule appears to be brutal and they're going into the off-season in cap hell so tank in 2021. Their 2022 cap situation looks great... so the rebuild could be short.

I'm not a Tomlin hater. In fact, I'm a huge fan of his; but sometimes it's just time to move on. He can be successful somewhere else but his message isn't getting through in Pittsburgh any more. And I love Ben... but it's time.

But unfortunately that's not the "Steeler way" and I'm afraid the Rooney's won't do what's necessary and next July they'll probably come to camp with Tomlin, Ben, etc. They'll be mediocre at best. They won't be in playoff contention but they won't suck enough to get a good draft position for 2022. Probably 6-10... and picking 11th or something like that. I'm old enough to have lived through the Stoudt, Malone, Bubby years... I hate to think of them treading water and being mediocre for a decade. They need a full-on tank job ala 2019 Bengals or 2017 Browns to become good again.
Good ole Mark Malone. Think I remember a banner at a game stating "Bengals Best Defense is Malone at QB" or something like that.

Guy was a turd.

Agree with MT. They just do not respond to him any longer and it is time for a new voice in the locker room.

As a coach MT has to know 'what you permit, you endorse'.

His failure to reign in Shuster in talking is an issue and shows there is not much discpline.

Claypool spking the ball at the feet of the defender late in the game.
WTF...your getting your handed to you!
Bad look all the way around by those two.

Claypool also on social media yesterday talking about "Browns will get clapped next week". Well young man, you got clapped Sunday night, so your sorry will be on the couch watching. Grow up.

Fichtner gone.

also Bradley (secondary) and their OLine coach, Sarrett.

Danny Smith - sp. teams coach, apparently survives again. ugh.

find an outside hire for OC that wants to establish a system. don't let Ben have any input on who new OC is. and don't give it to Canada. need, new, fresh EVERYTHING at that position.

Last edited:
Fichtner gone.

also Bradley (secondary) and their OLine coach, Sarrett.

Danny Smith - sp. teams coach, apparently survives again. ugh.

find an outside hire for OC that wants to establish a system. don't let Ben have any input on who new OC is. and don't give it to Canada. need, new, fresh EVERYTHING at that position.
Agree.
and disagree.
BR should have some input.
The problem with Ficther was he and BR were too close and would not hold him accountable. Word is he was audibling out of so many run plays and we saw the result.
With that said, MT needed to be more of a leader to not allow it to happen.

Agree.
and disagree.
BR should have some input.
The problem with Ficther was he and BR were too close and would not hold him accountable. Word is he was audibling out of so many run plays and we saw the result.
With that said, MT needed to be more of a leader to not allow it to happen.

just don't think you can give Ben much input considering he may not even be there next season. i can't imagine he gives Steelers any more than 2 more years, depending on if he stays healthy. Ben doesn't need to have input. If they bring in someone NEW, he can adapt the offense to cater to Ben and if it's 100% sure that Ben returns to play, he will most certainly do that.

either way, Ben has been around football long enough to be able to handle any new offensive scheme, unless it's one where they want him to run RPO's. :)

Wonder if ousting his buddy is a way to push him out the door?
I think he should be afforded the opportunity to have his voice heard, even if it is just in a token fashion.

First and foremost they need to commit to the run. It will never be like back in the day but they still need to have a threat or the offense will never go anywhere.

Defensively getting Bush back will work but DuPree will likely be gone.

I see a third place finish for the foreseeable future though. Next year's schedule is brutal so a 5-6 win season is likely.

If the NFL allows an A whole to move the team, they might go into a long tailspin.

BTW, the Stillers were in a tailspin from their inception to 1972.

last two notifications i've gotten on my phone were:

FA Dwayne Haskins meeting with the Steelers

Hue Jackson interviewed earlier this week for OC position.

I mean, c'mon.

and we lost Duck!

How will the QB position survive.

Last year I thought MT did a great job. Most teams would have had a 3-4 win season wtih that train wreck.

This year, you could see the collapse. coming.

This is my theory. When KC gets beat, they secretly offer Beinemy the HC position. If he takes it, MT is out.
If not, then no one finds out....

Why would most teams have only won 3-4 games? They had one of the most talented defenses in the league, an outstanding OL, a strong WR Corp, good TEs, and a decent backfield. Plus a pretty weak schedule.

Why would most teams have only won 3-4 games? They had one of the most talented defenses in the league, an outstanding OL, a strong WR Corp, good TEs, and a decent backfield. Plus a pretty weak schedule.

mainly because most teams don't have a decent enough backup QB to be able to win that many games. yes, the defense carried them but the OLine wasn't great last year and the WR core was still young. Good TE's? You mean, Vance? c'mon. schedule wasn't as weak as it was this year.

can you name one team who lost their starting QB in the first 2-3 weeks this season and still finished .500 or better?

Cowboys? no.

i can't think of any others but i'm not doing much research right now. sorry.

mainly because most teams don't have a decent enough backup QB to be able to win that many games. yes, the defense carried them but the OLine wasn't great last year and the WR core was still young. Good TE's? You mean, Vance? c'mon. schedule wasn't as weak as it was this year.

can you name one team who lost their starting QB in the first 2-3 weeks this season and still finished .500 or better?

Cowboys? no.

i can't think of any others but i'm not doing much research right now. sorry.

The OL was good last year. The WR corp was good even if it was young, and Vance is a good receiving TE ?‍♂️ There was no shortage of offensive talent around the QB. Their biggest error was not bringing in a veteran QB after Rudolph got hurt

Last year’s schedule was weak.

There aren’t many teams who’ve had the talent the Steelers had with or without their starting QB

The OL was good last year. The WR corp was good even if it was young, and Vance is a good receiving TE ?‍♂️ There was no shortage of offensive talent around the QB. Their biggest error was not bringing in a veteran QB after Rudolph got hurt

Last year’s schedule was weak.

There aren’t many teams who’ve had the talent the Steelers had with or without their starting QB

who could they have brought in/worked out that may have actually been ok? who was available? i'm just wondering.

and don't say Kaepernick. ;)