2021 OLYMPIC TEAM TRIALS

Of course, I'm reading wrestling news from the Dagestan Daily.......conveniently printed in English on Saturdays.

Our second men's freestyle Olympian- Kyle Dake. Kid Dynamite does it, beats Jordan Burroughs 3-2. First time in 11 years 74kg will be represented by someone else at the world championships or Olympics. Dake is a co-favorite with Sidakov, the Russia, for the gold medal this summer. Congrats to him on two excellent defensive matches.

Jordan Burroughs is one class act. Competing at that level and then the fortitude to answer questions after a crushing loss. No wonder the wrestlers are so good. They have the mental and physical tools. They all seem to have deep family support. Good representation for the sport. Steveson was a pleasant surprise. Good for all

Jordan Burroughs is one class act. Competing at that level and then the fortitude to answer questions after a crushing loss. No wonder the wrestlers are so good. They have the mental and physical tools. They all seem to have deep family support. Good representation for the sport. Steveson was a pleasant surprise. Good for all
For all the accomplishments on the mat for Jordan the last decade, his representation of the sport of wrestling off the mat is what makes him special. Always willing to talk, always willing to represent USA wrestling with class and humility. Has done tremendous work for the sport of wrestling in his life, and he deserves all the praise he receives.

Our third men's freestyle Olympian- Kyle Snyder! Beats Moore 5-1, will be the only returning men's freestyle Olympian and will attempt to defend his title. Small list of wrestlers who made two Olympics, Kyle is more than deserving to add his name to that list. Definite medal threat

Our fourth men's freestyle Olympian- Thomas Gilman! Holds off a late attack from Vito to win 2-2. The move to State College pays off big time for Gilman, and he will have a couple months to prep for the best in the world at a tough weight.

Our fifth men's freestyle Olympian*- Jordan Oliver! He wins 5-2 over McKenna, and will have the tough task of trying to qualify the spot in a month in Bulgaria. It's a tall task, but Jordan has wrestled great and will give it a shot.

Our sixth and final men's freestyle Olympian- David Taylor! Beats Bo Nickal 6-0 and will head to Tokyo as the favorite to win the weight. Another four months will be very helpful for him as he continues to get matches in post-injury. Excellent two bouts against a very good wrestler in Bo Nickal.

Greco team:
60kg- Ildar Hafizov
67kg- Alejandro Sancho
77kg*- Jesse Porter
87kg- John Stefanowicz
97kg- G'Angelo Hancock
130kg*- Adam Coon

* 77kg and 130kg still have to be qualified at Last Chance

Women's freestyle team:
50kg- Sarah Hildebrandt
53kg- Jacarra Winchester
57kg- Helen Maroulis
62kg- Kayla Miracle
68kg- Tamyra Mensah-Stock
76kg- Adeline Gray

An excellent women's team, all six ladies will contend for a medal. G'Angelo probably the only hope for a men's Greco medal, and a slim shot at that.

if the trials were in 2020 then i think JB wins. Best match of the night was saved for last....Helen's match only lasted 20 sec, but was great to watch.

Greco team:
60kg- Ildar Hafizov
67kg- Alejandro Sancho
77kg*- Jesse Porter
87kg- John Stefanowicz
97kg- G'Angelo Hancock
130kg*- Adam Coon

* 77kg and 130kg still have to be qualified at Last Chance

Women's freestyle team:
50kg- Sarah Hildebrandt
53kg- Jacarra Winchester
57kg- Helen Maroulis
62kg- Kayla Miracle
68kg- Tamyra Mensah-Stock
76kg- Adeline Gray

An excellent women's team, all six ladies will contend for a medal. G'Angelo probably the only hope for a men's Greco medal, and a slim shot at that.
women's 53, 57, 68 and 76 will all medal imo

All six of the "incumbent" women (the ones "waiting" for Challenge tourney champs) retained their places as Oly team members. And yeah, Helen's footsweep was pretty sweet!

Did Snyder take any shots against Moore? I watched both matches and I don't think he did. Maybe I missed one or two. Now we all knew Snyder was going to win and the matches were not expected to be competitive. But if Kyle learned not to shoot at NLWC, and only to defend, I'm not sure that's progress. I guess we'll find out in Tokyo.

Did Snyder take any shots against Moore? I watched both matches and I don't think he did. Maybe I missed one or two. Now we all knew Snyder was going to win and the matches were not expected to be competitive. But if Kyle learned not to shoot at NLWC, and only to defend, I'm not sure that's progress. I guess we'll find out in Tokyo.
First, I remember him getting in on a low single to start the second match. Second, Moore is generally a volume shooter who changes levels real well so the strategy appeared to use his power advantage. I suspect he will open up against other opponents that match up differently--but he handled him in dominant fashion with virtually no risk. This is his life and was not going to blow it--he did what he had to do. In fact, it showed he is not a one trick pony (which I have accused him of before).
Americans are fixated with constant leg attacks--Ohioans are obsessed with them. International wrestling is different. I know you know that.

Our fifth men's freestyle Olympian*- Jordan Oliver! He wins 5-2 over McKenna, and will have the tough task of trying to qualify the spot in a month in Bulgaria. It's a tall task, but Jordan has wrestled great and will give it a shot.

Joey McKenna wrestled real good at this Olympic trials! He even wrestled good against Jordan Oliver.Oliver totally dominated him when they wrestled before.I think he beat McKenna 10-0 in the 1st period.And he dominated him the other time they wrestled.

For all the accomplishments on the mat for Jordan the last decade, his representation of the sport of wrestling off the mat is what makes him special. Always willing to talk, always willing to represent USA wrestling with class and humility. Has done tremendous work for the sport of wrestling in his life, and he deserves all the praise he receives.

This is incredibly well said. And so true.

Well said yankeefan33. JB is indeed a class act.
From wiki...
Burroughs has spoken about his faith saying, "A gold medal is always going to leave you empty. ... There's no other thing in life that's more fulfilling than a relationship with Jesus Christ.”

Well if he has no shot then obviously the guys he beat or finished ahead of - McKenna, Zain & Yianni - have even less of a chance. JO had a one year suspension overlap to be a two year suspension. He’s paid his dues and beat the best USA had to offer. He may or may not Q the weight and earn a medal. I wish him and all the USA wrestlers the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had not heard of Oliver serving a suspension for doping. I thought he had retired and was no longer on the wrestling circuit. What happened, what did he do?

Oliver looked a lot bigger that McKenna - it was hard for me to believe they were the same weight. Part of it was due to Oliver's melon looking like it was twice the size of McKenna's. Watch a replay and tell me I'm wrong...

Had not heard of Oliver serving a suspension for doping. I thought he had retired and was no longer on the wrestling circuit. What happened, what did he do?
I don't know all the details but this is some of it (not sure how much of this is accurate but I read it on the internet so it must be true). He tested + for an amphetamine a few years ago. Supposedly it was for a medical prescription given by his doctor. My understanding is that he was responsible for informing USA Wrestling that he was on this medication, or to get permission. If he had done so, he may not have been suspended. Because of the timing of the one-year suspension, it actually covered two years of eligibility to compete in World competition.

Last edited:
Oliver looked a lot bigger that McKenna - it was hard for me to believe they were the same weight. Part of it was due to Oliver's melon looking like it was twice the size of McKenna's. Watch a replay and tell me I'm wrong...
JO cuts a bunch of weight. A bunch! He starts his cut around 180lbs to get to 65kg or 143.3lbs

Last edited: