2021 OLYMPIC TEAM TRIALS

And I have a feeling that the Magic Man may be losing a step or two after his injury. He didn't look like the guy who was destroying the best in the world a few years ago.

And on Cox, I'm a rules guy, but if the appeal goes forward or the court intervenes (we've seen this before), I'm all for the best we've got representing USA. And as impressed as I am by Moore's manhandling everyone not named Cox or Snyder, I don't think he is on their level right now.

As none of us know what the real story is, I have to wonder what the basis of an appeal can be?

As none of us know what the real story is, I have to wonder what the basis of an appeal can be?
Just from the rumor mill, it seems that the coach, Kevin Jackson, is trying to take the blame (deserved or not) for telling Cox the wrong time for weigh-ins. If a favorable appeal for Cox takes place today (not likely IMO), Cox has to wrestle Machiavel and Moore today, perhaps before the finals start tonight, and then face Snyder. Or would they bump Cox vs Snyder to an alternate date? I can't imagine the Olympic committee granting an appeal after Moore and Snyder wrestle, but stranger things have happened (like a worldwide pandemic that shuts down the world). But I can imagine a court overturning the Olympic committee's verdict (as has happened before). In this scenario, Cox and Moore wrestle, and if Moore wins then the results of today's match is final. If Cox wins, then Cox and Snyder wrestle best of 3 at a future date.

Last edited:
Not buying the KJ excuse. If you're a world champ, one the best we have, and been training for 5 years for this... You know when weigh ins are. I know he's J'dens personal coach, but isn't he also the coach of USA FS team?? You'd think he'd know the times. One of the biggest weigh ins of your life, you shouw up on time and on weight, especially when going up a weight. No excuse

Just from the rumor mill, it seems that the coach, Kevin Jackson, is trying to take the blame (deserved or not) for telling Cox the wrong time for weigh-ins.

Sounds a little like Daton Fix's father taking the hit for having an open container of a banned substance in the family refrigerator.
OTOH, the governing body fell for that one.

Not buying the KJ excuse. If you're a world champ, one the best we have, and been training for 5 years for this... You know when weigh ins are. I know he's J'dens personal coach, but isn't he also the coach of USA FS team?? You'd think he'd know the times. One of the biggest weigh ins of your life, you shouw up on time and on weight, especially when going up a weight. No excuse
Sounds a little like Daton Fix's father taking the hit for having an open container of a banned substance in the family refrigerator.
OTOH, the governing body fell for that one.
Not buying it either, but I won't complain if the appeal is granted or if the court rules in Cox's favor.

from ESPN......

Kyle Dake gets shot at Jordan Burroughs with wins at U.S. wrestling trials
12:17 AM ET

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Kyle Dake made fast work of his two opponents at the U.S. Olympic wrestling trials on Friday night to earn his much anticipated shot against Jordan Burroughs.
Dake, the two-time world champion looking to go to the Olympics for the first time, posted an 11-0 technical fall over Jason Nolf in the 74-kilogram challenge tournament final about an hour after he recorded a 10-0 tech fall over Evan Wick.
Next up Saturday night is a best-of-three meeting with Burroughs, the 2012 gold medalist and four-time world champion who will be attempting to make his third Olympics at age 32. Burroughs is 7-1 all-time against the 30-year-old Dake.
The biggest development of the trials' first day occurred before the wrestling began when two-time world champion and 2016 Olympic bronze medalist J'den Cox was disqualified after not making weight.
Cox was removed from the bracket at 97 kilograms in men's freestyle. The 26-year-old from Columbia, Missouri, had earned a spot in the challenge tournament semifinals based on winning gold at 2019 worlds in a non-Olympic weight class (92 kilograms).
Cox took bronze at 86 kilograms at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and then won consecutive world titles in 2018-19 at 92. He had announced a year ago he would move up to 97 kilograms and was supposed to be the main challenger to 2016 Olympic gold medalist Kyle Snyder this weekend.
With Cox out, Snyder will face Kollin Moore for a spot on the Olympic team in a meeting of former Ohio State wrestlers.
Former Penn State wrestlers David Taylor and Bo Nickal posted easy decisions and will meet in the 86 kilogram men's freestyle finals.
"It's Nittany Nation, and we should have our own country because of of how many guys are top guys in the world," Nickal said. "We're trained to represent the United States of America, which is the greatest honor in America."
Rising star Gable Steveson will meet Nick Gwiazdowski in the 125-kilogram men's freestyle finals. The second-seeded Steveson, who won an NCAA heavyweight title for Minnesota two weeks ago, posted an 11-0 technical over sixth-seeded Daniel Kerkvliet. The top-seeded Gwiazdowski advanced with a 6-0 decision over No. 4 Dom Bradley.

Pretty typical of today’s society...always someone else’s fault and zero personal accountability...show up on weight and on time, period.
He's an Olympic medalist and world champ in his prime. USAW needs to do the right thing and give him a wrestle off. The reason we have the trials is to get the best team.
I also want our best team represented. That said, injury, covid, traffic jam, health of a family member, all kinds of things I feel like could merit a special circumstance wrestle off. Being irresponsible is not one of them. Showing up over and not knowing when the scales close is irresponsible.

I also want our best team represented. That said, injury, covid, traffic jam, health of a family member, all kinds of things I feel like could merit a special circumstance wrestle off. Being irresponsible is not one of them. Showing up over and not knowing when the scales close is irresponsible.
Did you catch the interview of one of the women wrestlers? Her mother died last week and she is there competing. She wrestlers today for an Olympic spot. She has a cut out of her mother in the stands. She had a shirt on with a picture of here mother. That's a wrestling story. Not making weight Wow no pass Look at the trials of that young lady. It degrades her sacrifice imo

Did you catch the interview of one of the women wrestlers? Her mother died last week and she is there competing. She wrestlers today for an Olympic spot. She has a cut out of her mother in the stands. She had a shirt on with a picture of here mother. That's a wrestling story. Not making weight Wow no pass Look at the trials of that young lady. It degrades her sacrifice imo
I saw that. She's a powerful young lady.

Know the time of weigh-in, be on weight, it's not hard. For that to get a "special accommodation" would set a horrible precedent. For people to be advocating for a special accommodation just because they don't like who is being adversely impacted is to be intellectually dishonest and to be against fairness/structure within sport.

If there was anyone left who didn't believe how good Lee is...that should have ended today. The Yianni and Zane, 'headspace' excuses are coming but they both tried to beat Lee.
Best two of three from here on out! What another great evening of wrestling. ✌

Interesting
1617488130320.png

We can agree to disagree. Trusting Coach KJ to have you in the right place at the right time and then failing you is a special circumstance. We are talking about a world champ wrestling an Olympic champ for a spot on the team. That's a real opportunity to showcase the best of the best in US wrestling.

Nato wrestled great. The field was thinned by the absence of Suriano and Spencer, but still it was the best available in the USA. Fix losing showed how tough the field was. And Spencer may never be an elite international threat again. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

And IMO Nick Lee has leapfrogged Retherford and Yianni for the future of 65k in the US.

Match 1:

Gable Steveson over Nick Gwiazdowski, 10-0. Gable looks unreal. That's what a world class heavy looks like

Kyle Dake over Jordan Burroughs 3-0. Dake's defense is incredible. Jordan looks old. I am sad. And from Jon Kozak on Twitter, that's the first time in Jordan Burroughs' senior career he failed to score a point in a match.

Thomas Gilman over Vito Arujau PIN. Was up 11-4 when the fall happened. Gilman looks excellent, gave up an early 4 then rattled off 11

Kyle Snyder over Kollin Moore 10-0. Bit of a difference between a pretty good guy at the weight and the Olympic champ.

Jordan Oliver over Joey McKenna 3-0

David Taylor over Bo Nickal 4-0

Last edited:
Match 1:

Gable Steveson over Nick Gwiazdowski, 10-0. Gable looks unreal. That's what a world class heavy looks like

Kyle Dake over Jordan Burroughs 3-0. Dake's defense is incredible. Jordan looks old. I am sad. And from Jon Kozak on Twitter, that's the first time in Jordan Burroughs' senior career he failed to score a point in a match.
Dake seems to have a solid defense for the Blast Double JB is famous for. Twice JB was in on his legs and Dake looked to toss him. I hate to say it but it may be a passing of the guard. I’m a HUGE JB fan! I even have personal plates on my truck that say BLST DBL.
But Dake is my bet for this Olympic weight.