2021 Masters

Auggie

None thing says spring more then the Masters and after a Covid move to the fall in 2020 they are back on calendar. Let the Azaleas, Rhododendron , and Dogwoods bloom in full glory.

f4498efaf44fe7cbbcc9926841f20885.jpg

It's been funny watching Keith Olbermann, who has spent a good portion of his career in sports journalism/broadcasting, beg the PGA to move the Masters out of GA despite the Masters not being a PGA event.

Spieth has some nice momentum going into the Masters after winning the Valero Texas Open - let's see if he carries that through this weekend.

And here's the money at stake for the top 8 finishers.

Winner - $2,070,000
2nd Place - $1,193,400
3rd Place - $751,400
4th Place - $530,400
5th Place - $442,000
6th Place - $397,800
7th Place - $370,175
8th Place - $342,550

I heard some players saying the greens are baked this year, combo of warm/dry spring plus the old coots that run this thing shaved them down more than in the past. Looks like they want to make it more difficult to get to double digit red. 15 in particular was called out as very tough to hold, might favor the better putters. So far not happening but then again still a long way to go.

Also notable is Rory had is having a terrible start to the 1st round, he is at the bottom of the board with all the past winners that are enjoying a couple free rounds at Augusta.

Patrick Reed signed a new sponsor heading into the Matsers>
unnamed%20%283%29_3.jpg

Gone are the days of financial service companies grabbing all the title contenders heading into the Masters...

Looks like Justin Rose might be coming back to earth, tough start to his 2nd round today.

Some notables flirting with the cut line:

Bryson DeChambeau
Rory McIlroy
Phil Mickelson
Lee Westwood

So the rains come and soften up the greens in the late afternoon, so the ball striker that is not the best putter surges to the top of the leader board. Let’s see if Matsuyama can maintain the lead on Sunday.

So the rains come and soften up the greens in the late afternoon, so the ball striker that is not the best putter surges to the top of the leader board. Let’s see if Matsuyama can maintain the lead on Sunday.
His short game was awesome post rain as well. He was on fire. Tough to repeat.

Someone will make a run. Speith?

Xander Schauffele teases me every year. Twice before I have had him at higher odds to have him come up just short. I had him at 20-1 this year. I think that makes me a slow learner.

Last edited:
This year's Masters was meh.

Sorry to beat an old drum but the competition just lacks. Fun to watch rivalries and guys who compete. The more I watch the more I see a bunch of trust fund babies. Golf needs more players from a more diverse background from a cultural standpoint.

Sorry to beat an old drum but the competition just lacks. Fun to watch rivalries and guys who compete. The more I watch the more I see a bunch of trust fund babies. Golf needs more players from a more diverse background from a cultural standpoint.

Agreed. Meh it was. It just never got close until Hideki missed the putt on 18. It also didn't help that the frontrunners weren't real personalities. The only possible story was Zalitoris and they beat that drum awfully hard.

I thought the winner was from a "diverse background from a cultural standpoint."

I'm in the meh camp, outside of Speith nobody on the leader board got me excited. No doubt the rain on Saturday really changed the narrative of this event and opened the door for the players that were not the best putters to have a chance, kind of took the fun out of it. Zalatoris has to be one of the worst putters for someone under 25, only 50+ year olds should be using a putter that looks like this>

14391837_web1_Zalatoris-102720.jpg

It's been funny watching Keith Olbermann, who has spent a good portion of his career in sports journalism/broadcasting, beg the PGA to move the Masters out of GA despite the Masters not being a PGA event.

Spieth has some nice momentum going into the Masters after winning the Valero Texas Open - let's see if he carries that through this weekend.
Olberman's a baffoon.

Good to see Matsuyama win, I don't know how people bet on golf. So many times the best don't get to the final day. Also kind of refreshing to see a guy just win, tip his cap and just walk off. No fist pumping and chest pounding. The shot of his caddy putting the stick back in 18 and bowing to the course was classy.
Unfortunately golf has fallen into the media trap that so many of our other sports have. People want the big names and personalities winning titles. The young and unknown get tossed to the side. We don't appreciate the game itself, the grind and the common man having a good week. Golf at least provides an opening where an unknown can have a good week and win a major.

I wonder if I bet $100 to Matsuyama win, how much would I have won? Anyone know?

Some books had him at 60-1 pre-Masters, so about $6000

He was -115 on Sunday so that would've paid $86.96.

This year lacked dramatically or big names at the top. Losing a few top guys to the cut killed interest even more. When you add in weather delays...

Good to see Matsuyama win, I don't know how people bet on golf. So many times the best don't get to the final day. Also kind of refreshing to see a guy just win, tip his cap and just walk off. No fist pumping and chest pounding. The shot of his caddy putting the stick back in 18 and bowing to the course was classy.
Unfortunately golf has fallen into the media trap that so many of our other sports have. People want the big names and personalities winning titles. The young and unknown get tossed to the side. We don't appreciate the game itself, the grind and the common man having a good week. Golf at least provides an opening where an unknown can have a good week and win a major.

Golf is one of the easier things to bet on. My entire bag is furnished by me hitting on a 50-1 Molinari win in the British Open. If you follow it, it is easy to see the trends and who is starting to peak.

Golf is one of the easier things to bet on. My entire bag is furnished by me hitting on a 50-1 Molinari win in the British Open. If you follow it, it is easy to see the trends and who is starting to peak.
You must follow it really close then. Ha!

So I'll ask you and I assume you bet on sports regularly. I don't. Do you have any fears that we are going way too deep into sports betting? To me, the more money you get involved in it, the more chance of a betting scandal, point shaving etc.

I really don't bet that much. When I get into state that allows it I may bet a little, primarily on the golf majors.

I am concerned of the addiction side of things. It is just becoming too easy for people, many of whom can ill afford the losses. The type of things like point shaving involve such huge money on the betting end that those who would pull it off could do the betting on the legitimate end in places like Vegas and Atlantic City, so I don't know that the geographic expansion increases the potential for point shaving.