2021 Inaugural Season: Three Rivers Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milton was never 3x the size of Covington. Maybe in the 70s but Milton peaked in enrollment then.
I think the difference between Milton and Covington was about the same as Milton and Tipp. Tipp got even bigger.
Milton is in a position of being a bigger fish in the pond for once in their history.
We never were in the SWBL or SRC. MU won't dominate in all sports. We will be competitive. One thing I hate to see is no Girls Tennis, Boys Tennis league titles. Those are two that MU has always excelled at. But I see girls golf... Huh?
I think this league is an extension of the CCC with the bigger schools only. Milton will be D5-6 soon. Heck, Coldwater is D6.

I don't always enjoy the conference realignments, etc. But I also understand that's where we are and what happens from time to time. One thing I do believe in is giving the changes a chance. What I don't want to do is jump to too many conclusions about the league or individual teams based off of a small sample size. I'm one that expected Covington and Miami East to field competitive teams in this new league. If they were, I think we would look at the league as a whole differently. But in 2021, they are both definitely down. Miami East now is on a two year trend of struggling while Covington has had essentially 25 straight years of success prior to this season. I'm inclined to give both time and give the new league time in the process.
Covington is down on talent and numbers but is this really any different than waves of the past? They have plenty of 10-0 & 9-1 seasons over the last 20 years but there is also 4 or 5 .500 years in there as well. That was in the CCC where you had Bradford, Miss Valley, Trail, South as 4 wins usually before the season started. If they continue the big non conference games 5-5 might be a good year for them for a while.
I feel the same way about East. They have only had football success in the CCC, before that didnt they have a long losing streak? I dont know much about them before they joined the CCC.

I just think this league is great for travel but there will be big differences between the top and bottom of almost every sport in the conference.
The size of schools just make it that you probably are good at some and not good at others. It will cycle and will be exciting year in year out.

Everyone in this conference needs to remember that Milton is really about the size of a small d5 school. Northridge and Bethel are the larger schools. Just like all small schools, Milton, Covington, Miami East, etc have waves of talent and in between there are thin years.
Miami East before the CCC years, was in the original TRC and the SRC. They had success in the TRC and the SRC. Problem for ME was basketball became king in the 90s and then coaching changes killed the talent pool. Milton went through the down period during the late 80s and 90s.
The TRC will rebound and there will be years that the league will be strong from top to bottom.

Everyone in this conference needs to remember that Milton is really about the size of a small d5 school. Northridge and Bethel are the larger schools. Just like all small schools, Milton, Covington, Miami East, etc have waves of talent and in between there are thin years.
Miami East before the CCC years, was in the original TRC and the SRC. They had success in the TRC and the SRC. Problem for ME was basketball became king in the 90s and then coaching changes killed the talent pool. Milton went through the down period during the late 80s and 90s.
The TRC will rebound and there will be years that the league will be strong from top to bottom.

Riverside's freshman class may be the best group of athletes they've had in a long, long time. I believe they went undefeated in junior high in both football and basketball. Now that was against NWCC teams, so it will be interesting to see how they develop in the TRC.

Riverside's freshman class may be the best group of athletes they've had in a long, long time. I believe they went undefeated in junior high in both football and basketball. Now that was against NWCC teams, so it will be interesting to see how they develop in the TRC.
From the final years of the CCC, I can state that both the Miami East Sophomore class and the Bethel Freshman class both looked to be pretty loaded with talent.

I know this is a football forum and football droves revenue for the AD etc...

The bigger picture is it is very balanced when you consider all sports. I do not think the bigger schools will be favorites every year for the all sports trophy.

I know this is a football forum and football droves revenue for the AD etc...

The bigger picture is it is very balanced when you consider all sports. I do not think the bigger schools will be favorites every year for the all sports trophy.
My pick in wrestling is Troy Christian...?

Maybe it's a good thing that a down year for Covington/ME doesn't equal a 8-2 or 7-3 record in the TRC? I've watched the Bulldogs closely for the last 15+ years and this team is well rounded. The strong Junior class will keep the Dogs as favorites in Football into the 2022 season. There will likely be a "rebuild" year or two in between 2022 and the next loaded class. I'm guessing the current 5th/6th grades will be a lot like the current Junior/Sophomore group. They have a ton of players, with size, speed, toughness, etc.

That poster is no longer on Yappi. Milton has some good reserve players as well.
As long as we have Pearce as head coach, which I'm thinking he might be coming up to retirement soon, we will be fine. The kids in West Milton have respect for him and he has the assistants to keep the Dogs consistent for quite a while. Consistency in coaching goes a long way.

Last edited:
I like the running clock. Milton could've put up 80 on Covington, what does that prove?
I thought Covington came out very good after halftime.
MU had some penalties to get corrected. Over all nice win for MU.

I like the running clock. Milton could've put up 80 on Covington, what does that prove?
I thought Covington came out very good after halftime.
MU had some penalties to get corrected. Over all nice win for MU.
Oh, I still want the Buccs to get a 92-0 put on them, hard to do with the running clock. 80-0 would have been a good start.

Why's that
Glad people forget my obsession with Covington. 1974 Bethel vs Covington game. Still sticks in my crawl. After 47 years I can still get pretty ticked over it. Once the grandkids of those players are done playing in 20 years or so I'll let it go.

Glad people forget my obsession with Covington. 1974 Bethel vs Covington game. Still sticks in my crawl. After 47 years I can still get pretty ticked over it. Once the grandkids of those players are done playing in 20 years or so I'll let it go.
Huh, that was when Bethel was on that long losing streak. These kids from Covington had nothing to do with that and it was more the coach from Covington back then. I never want to see kids get demoralized playing a game. Also, I think when Pytel and that bunch went through Bethel they beat Covington, correct?

the running clock should absolutely be a thing. no one gains anything from winning 80-0. there’s no argument for not having a running clock.

Huh, that was when Bethel was on that long losing streak. These kids from Covington had nothing to do with that and it was more the coach from Covington back then. I never want to see kids get demoralized playing a game. Also, I think when Pytel and that bunch went through Bethel they beat Covington, correct?
1977 Bethel beat them 30 something to 7 if I recall. That would have been Pytels junior year. Rick Slagel was also a stand out on that team, his dad has his name on the field there at Bethel.

Three way fight for 1st. Milton, Northridge and Riverside.
MU 6-1/4-0
Northridge 5-2/4-0
Riverside 5-2/3-1
Troy Christian 4-3/2-2
Miami East 2-5/1-3
Covington 1-6/1-3
Bethel 1-6/1-3
Lehman 0-7/0-4

Week 8 games:
(6-1) Milton-Union @ (1-6) Bethel
(4-3) Troy Christian @ (5-2) Northridge
(2-5) Miami East @ (5-2) Riverside
(0-7) Lehman @ (1-6) Covington

Playoff standings:
Region 16, Division 4
7th. Milton-Union. 8.8786. Projected #6. (9-1)
14th. Northridge. 7.1071. Projected #13 (7-3)
Region 20, Division 5
23rd. Bethel 0.5000
Region 24, Division 6
21st. Miami East 1.2143
22nd. Covington 0.9929
Region 28, Division 7
4th. Riverside 7.6643. Projected #5. (7-3)
12th. Troy Christian 3.5545. Projected #14. (6-4)
24th. Lehman 0.0000

Last edited:
Playoff standings:
Region 16, Division 4
7th. Milton-Union. 8.8786. Projected #6. (9-1)
14th. Northridge. 7.1071. Projected #13 (7-3)
Region 20, Division 5
23rd. Bethel 0.5000
Region 24, Division 6
21st. Miami East 1.2143
22nd. Covington 0.9929
Region 28, Division 7
4th. Riverside 7.6643. Projected #5. (7-3)
12th. Troy Christian 3.5545. Projected #14. (6-4)
24th. Lehman 0.0000
Where are you finding the projections?

MU 6-1/4-0
Northridge 5-2/4-0
Riverside 5-2/3-1
Troy Christian 4-3/2-2
Miami East 2-5/1-3
Covington 1-6/1-3
Bethel 1-6/1-3
Lehman 0-7/0-4

Week 8 games:

Best game of the week TC vs. Northridge, or Lehman vs. Covington?

Pirates host Miami East, sounds like the Vikings have a talented RB. Can’t tell you how much better it is to watch teams like Miami East and Northridge, with quality football teams, as opposed to hosting Ridgemont or Ridgedale.

Just glad the Pirates are apart of the TRC and not the NorthWest CupCakes.

MU 6-1/4-0
Northridge 5-2/4-0
Riverside 5-2/3-1
Troy Christian 4-3/2-2
Miami East 2-5/1-3
Covington 1-6/1-3
Bethel 1-6/1-3
Lehman 0-7/0-4

Week 8 games:
Raise your hand if you saw Northridge fighting for the league championship. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.